Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Turned it off at the start of the game, my GPU ain't that powerful. But a 2060 super ought to be able to run this fine on medium settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I turned off ray tracing and then turned it back on, compromised on other settings instead and accepted the jutter, yeah it's more stable and way more performant without it but you can tell that RTX was their primary mode developed for and non-RTX was low down on the list of priorities, there's a lot of places where things are just hosed looking without it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 27, 2024

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ok so I basically, turned everything down to medium, went full screen, plus a few minor tweaks, and it seems pretty stable now. Went 2 hours this evening without a crash, which is great because as I said I'm really enjoying it.

It may in fact look noticably worse without ray tracing etc. Fortunately my aging eyesight is terrible! So it still looks great too me.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
There are specific things that look like trash with RT off (opening cinematic)

Unless they fixed that

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Fallen Order's 3.99 (~4.99 deluxe) on Steam, and Survivor's 31.59 (~45 deluxe) if you wanna snap 'em up for cheap during the coming week

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1172380/STAR_WARS_Jedi_Fallen_Order/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1774580/STAR_WARS_Jedi_Survivor/

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I would still not recommend survivor on PC with its abysmal performance. Console’s are a much better experience.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm playing on PC gamepass and actually pretty surprised at how well it runs despite hearing nothing but horror stories at launch. I'm still super early on though so maybe it gets worse when you hit the open world.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I played and completed Survivor near release on a ten-year-old rig whose most up-to-date component otherwise was a goddamn 1060. :shrug:

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

I completed Survivor on a PC and had a great time generally - some frame hitches for sure (most often in the main tavern, strangely enough) but overall it ran well enough.

I never had performance issues during combat or while platforming.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

explosivo posted:

I'm playing on PC gamepass and actually pretty surprised at how well it runs despite hearing nothing but horror stories at launch. I'm still super early on though so maybe it gets worse when you hit the open world.

It does, yes, and also one of the hub worlds is much jankier than the other, or used to be.

How bad it is is system and setting dependent though

I think the problems come in when you start trying to turn poo poo up and realistically your system should handle it fine but due to jank it crashes; at least, that’s been my experience. I had it running very well with that one guy’s frame gen mod before frame gen was patched into the game and now it’s ehhhhh. I’ve seen people say if you use a different frame gen dll and replace the game one it works better, maybe I’ll try that if I ever come back to the game (which to be fair I’ve beaten twice).

Dogen fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 3, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And sometimes it's not just about how good your system is, it plays well with some hardware and not others in some arbitrary ways.

For me Koboh Matter was the biggest crash causer. There were a few times I got my save into a situation where doing something with the matter would repeatably make it crash and I had to back out and go from earlier.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
It was always the Dathomiri teleport poo poo for me until I turned off ray tracing

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

I completed Survivor on a PC and had a great time generally - some frame hitches for sure (most often in the main tavern, strangely enough) but overall it ran well enough.

I never had performance issues during combat or while platforming.

Yeah, it's basically fine. Definitely better on PC if you have a decent machine and are playing on a big display. Much better than it was at release.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Goddamn it. This game is annoyingly crashy.

It'll crash a couple of times in succession and I'll think "One more time and I'm out". Then it behaves itself for a couple of hours and it'll be fine. Then it's time for a couple of crashes again.

It wouldn't be so bad if I could just quicksave every 30 seconds, but the save system means you can lose a chunk of gameplay.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Its disappointing how unstable the PC version is, this game deserves so much better than how it was treated by Respawn in post launch.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Dead Space was just as bad on PC. EA don't seem to be very good at putting out stable games.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
series x is stable but has some pretty bad texture streaming issues. can't imagine dealing with the launch edition

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dead Space was fine for me on a few-years-old PC, the only real problem I had was that was the first game I ran into that had the gameplay impacted by slow loading on a disc drive. It ran fine after I moved it to an SSD.

I'm just curious after seeing it come up a couple times here - I could've been lucky, but I just don't remember hearing any widespread complaints back when it was new like I did with Jedi Survivor.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
There are probably some system configurations that are far enough outside of EA's testing that crash more often. I've played this game on a couple different PC builds (upgraded late last year) and usually get hours worth of stability, but I've also had the game crash occasionally with exception access violations, so there are gremlins (Ewoks? Jawas?). Both of my builds were "high end" but built out of very common platforms that would show up in developer test rigs (9900k + 3080 ti, then later 7800X3D + 4090).

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Deptfordx posted:

Dead Space was just as bad on PC. EA don't seem to be very good at putting out stable games.

Dead space got fixed totally, this didn’t. Dead space didn’t have RT and FG and poo poo tho.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I didnt run into the issues people had with Dead Space on PC, or at least I dont think I did? I played it at the time on an RTX 2070, so I thought the performance issues I had were because of just a weak graphics card. But didnt have any other problems.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It had terrible shader precomp issues is the main thing I remember… maybe something with AA? Texture clamping? Oh and also DF had a weird bug that I never had that was triggered whereby a stutter from shader loading would cause a frame drop that would stick until a reload or restart or something, I think that got fixed fast.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 6, 2024

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I forgot about that compilation issue, that took a while. But I think it just happened once on each install.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Captain Hygiene posted:

I forgot about that compilation issue, that took a while. But I think it just happened once on each install.

Yeah, but it’s a first impression and most people only play the game once

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, I guess so. But those people are bad and dumb, and their opinions should be ignored.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, I guess so. But those people are bad and dumb, and their opinions should be ignored.

When I feel bad I can play dead space and say hey, things can always get worse!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
EA! EA! CTHULHU FTHAGN!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Welp. I've had to abandon it.

I've gone back to Kobor in chapter 3 and I can't make progress in any direction without it constantly crashing*. Guess it'll just have to wait for a hypothetical future PS5 console purchase.

I was really enjoying it as well. :(

*Obvs, I've done the full round of updating drivers, turning of ray tracing etc, etc.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

PS5 stays winning.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Deptfordx posted:

Welp. I've had to abandon it.

I've gone back to Kobor in chapter 3 and I can't make progress in any direction without it constantly crashing*. Guess it'll just have to wait for a hypothetical future PS5 console purchase.

I was really enjoying it as well. :(

*Obvs, I've done the full round of updating drivers, turning of ray tracing etc, etc.

Have you tried turning off ray tracing and back on again (this was seriously a thing that worked at one point, don't know that it does on the current version)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
My Xbox Series X playthrough had no crashes and the only major bug I got was related to the Bounty Quests not progressing, nothing performance related. I'm pretty sure they patched that bug at this point, I just haven't had time to go back and play more after finishing the game last year.