Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'd say pure astral has the two weakest T2 tomes by far unless you got a specific plan in mind like reavers using the aoe mark spell

:raise:

i can see tome of summoning (though gonna be real, i gave it a spin in a skirmish and it felt really good, the astral serpent was my unit mvp and arcane bond was my spell mvp)

scrying though? guided projectiles is an incredibly good enchantment ime, though i have yet to use a watcher. even outside of reavers, mental mark seems like a pretty solid aoe debuff for a ranged unit focused army too (not to mention that if it's battlemages, 1hex aoe 3x sundered resistance aligns pretty well with battlemage aoe attacks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Astral serpents can work, T3 unit summons are some of the best summons around and picking one up early in a T2 tome can make for a strong early game, guided projectiles work well in a range-heavy build, and I like watchers, but both of the tomes I feel lack that "always good, forever, no matter the build" you can pick up in some other T2 tomes and since you are probably only taking 2 T2's before moving onto 3's, they are competing with a lot.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 3, 2024

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Though there aren't a whole lot of outright bad tomes anymore, at least the early ones, main issue is that some affinities are just straight better then others in empire tree skills so you end up with better economy going certain affinities regardless of what you actually use from them, other issue is a lot of T4-5 tomes lack that "game ending" powerful spell or unit that decides the game that some have, like gold golems and tectonic shatter spam for materium.

M'lord I beg of you, if you make just one more Gold Golem our entire economy will crash. You've queued up 27 of them already please just end th---

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Astral serpents can work, T3 unit summons are some of the best summons around and picking one up early in a T2 tome can make for a strong early game, guided projectiles work well in a range-heavy build, and I like watchers, but both of the tomes I feel lack that "always good, forever, no matter the build" you can pick up in some other T2 tomes and since you are probably only taking 2 T2's before moving onto 3's, they are competing with a lot.

do people like tome of the beacon now? tome of winds feels pretty niche to me still too

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I'm guessing a massive amount of the Enchantment tome love came from when it still had the range increase for arrows.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Tome of beacon I kinda like, it mainly suffers from the lightbringers stealing your kill exp/loot from converting during auto resolves, otherwise I'd build around lightbringer armies.

Winds a lot better with a longterm enchantment giving value but like scrying it depends on you having a range heavy build.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 3, 2024

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

exquisite tea posted:

M'lord I beg of you, if you make just one more Gold Golem our entire economy will crash. You've queued up 27 of them already please just end th---

:lmao:

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
Unless there was a stealth buff that I missed I think Beacon might be a contender for worst tome in the game? Dunno, I honestly haven't tried it in ages. Wind is good, and honestly kinda has been since the Favorable Wind buff; though I can see how that isn't particularly eye-catching if you play Skirmish primarily.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Autsj posted:

Unless there was a stealth buff that I missed I think Beacon might be a contender for worst tome in the game? Dunno, I honestly haven't tried it in ages. Wind is good, and honestly kinda has been since the Favorable Wind buff; though I can see how that isn't particularly eye-catching if you play Skirmish primarily.

Mighty meek gimmick builds are actually weirdly strong. I got destroyed by one in skirmish last week, and I believe zombie has run it a few times in their larger mp games effectively.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

Mighty meek gimmick builds are actually weirdly strong. I got destroyed by one in skirmish last week, and I believe zombie has run it a few times in their larger mp games effectively.

It's a lot of damage, I can see it working in skirmish games for sure. For strat games it would be highly dependent on who you hit and when exactly, but Zombie does seem to have a knack for pulling off the unexpected strat at the right time from what I've heard of him so, maybe I guess? I do suspect that stops working the second somebody sees it coming though.

Edit: thinking about it, actually do think it kinda cool that stuff like Mighty Meek is possibly finding a place in the Skirmish mode.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 4, 2024

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Are we using the old Planefall discord to organize MP games or do we have a AoW4 one? I may have overlooked it

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
do mythic units require imperium for upkeep? I got a poo poo tone of balors from my chaos affinity and a handful of fire giants from rallies and my imperium actually had negative accumulation for a bit. Are you only able increase it through capital city upgrades?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Soonmot posted:

do mythic units require imperium for upkeep? I got a poo poo tone of balors from my chaos affinity and a handful of fire giants from rallies and my imperium actually had negative accumulation for a bit. Are you only able increase it through capital city upgrades?

Tier 4 and 5 units all have imperium upkeep, check the unit stat page and it is on full display at the top.

Max the wizard tower as funds allow ASAP and consider a society trait that boosts imperium income and aim for magic resource income and wonder clears, 90% of the time I take the imperium option from quests because it is largely a time-gated resource.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 5, 2024

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Autsj posted:

I don't really care about anything in beacon but lightbringers. I just love going into a fight with a t5 and some trash and being all "no. Mine now."

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I personally love T1 unit spam, so mighty meek is pretty neat, since my games are usually won by turn 60-80 there is a lot of time for T1 units to shine or support a few heavy hitters.

It's fun trying to make T1 units as powerful as possible, mounted arbalists with mighty meek hit like trucks, skeletons are cheap and disposable if a bit low HP, phantom warriors are in a stat weightclass above T1.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

TheHoosier posted:

Are we using the old Planefall discord to organize MP games or do we have a AoW4 one? I may have overlooked it

there is no goon mp being organized at all to my knowledge

the old pf discord would be a fine place to do it if not here in the thread. you'll need to find someone to organize with though, i only play skirmish mod in 4

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Soonmot posted:

Imperium costs are based on unit tier, not type- t4s cost 3/turn and t5s are 7. This is not affected by upkeep reductions as far as I can tell, I've taken the final Materium upgrade before and it didn't change my income at all. I generally only take t4s from rallies if I need them right away, otherwise I like making them guard a vassal's capital.

Wizard tower upgrades are the primary source, but there are a couple other ways to gain it. Each ancient wonder you annex gives you 5/turn, you have to actually link it up to your territory not just capture the site to gain it, but you can attach it to an outpost instead of a city and still get the income. Owning at least one copy of all three of the plant-type magic materials will give you 15/turn. There's also one or two racial aspects you can get that give you per-city income, though I think you can only get them through random events so it's not reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I didn't know that about the wonders either, thanks! /\/\/\

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Tier 4 and 5 units all have imperium upkeep, check the unit stat page and it is on full display at the top.

Max the wizard tower as funds allow ASAP and consider a society trait that boosts imperium income and aim for magic resource income and wonder clears, 90% of the time I take the imperium option from quests because it is largely a time-gated resource.

Oh tier 4s too drat, I had like a million chaos eaters

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 5, 2024