Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
I just finished the books. They are *fine* but not my favorite. Does the show elevate the material? I like the premise, but the characters in the books feel a little hollow. Would this show work for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

81sidewinder posted:

I just finished the books. They are *fine* but not my favorite. Does the show elevate the material? I like the premise, but the characters in the books feel a little hollow. Would this show work for me?

Also just finished the books, which I started after I finished the show.

I believe that you will have an enjoyable experience of the show.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

81sidewinder posted:

I did the show first so it's not quite the same but yeah, the books (I'm half-way through #2) were good but don't exactly sing, but I really liked the TV show.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

81sidewinder posted:

Gonna say no, the show changes a bunch of stuff but it's basically first episode, a season of filler episodes, last episode

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

81sidewinder posted:

I thought the show did so much to elevate the book's characters and worldbuilding.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The show turns the first half of the first book into ten hours of TV. It fleshes out and recontextualizes a lot of the book’s material, and adds a bunch of secondary stuff that does a good job of expanding on the setting. It changes the core conspiracy somewhat, but in a way that adds a lot of room for more drama and intrigue.

I liked it much better than the book, to the point where when I tried reading the book, I legit considered putting it down and waiting for the show to catch up. (I did not do this because I am impatient.)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
These new posts today got me excited that there was a new season or something.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

blastron posted:

The show turns the first half of the first book into ten hours of TV. It fleshes out and recontextualizes a lot of the book’s material, and adds a bunch of secondary stuff that does a good job of expanding on the setting. It changes the core conspiracy somewhat, but in a way that adds a lot of room for more drama and intrigue.

I liked it much better than the book, to the point where when I tried reading the book, I legit considered putting it down and waiting for the show to catch up. (I did not do this because I am impatient.)

I mean to be fair, the first episode is the first two chapters of the book, the next 9 and a half episodes are the following two pages.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The books are essentially beach/airplane reading. I think the show has a better pacing (in parts) where they've clearly taken time to add some padding.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

My cynical take is that I wish I hadn't read the books, so I would be more excited about season 2. The books just aren't very good. To the point that I just read a recap of number 3 on wiki.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm about halfway through the second book now as well. I haven't listened to anymore in weeks now. I've been meaning to finish it, but also, meh. I enjoyed the show a lot more.

I was actually really disappointed upon reading the books to learn that the show only covers half of the first book. Part of the initial appeal was the assumption that since this was based on a finish trilogy, it would be a solid three seasons and done. No time to meander, and an actual decent chance of finishing on it's own terms instead of being unceremoniously cancelled. Now I'm not sure what they're going to do instead.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm about halfway through the second book now as well. I haven't listened to anymore in weeks now. I've been meaning to finish it, but also, meh. I enjoyed the show a lot more.

I was actually really disappointed upon reading the books to learn that the show only covers half of the first book. Part of the initial appeal was the assumption that since this was based on a finish trilogy, it would be a solid three seasons and done. No time to meander, and an actual decent chance of finishing on it's own terms instead of being unceremoniously cancelled. Now I'm not sure what they're going to do instead.

The rumour I'm hearing is four seasons, with the plan floated to shoot seasons three and four back to back.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The books were written fairly early in Howley’s career, who is an ok writer at best anyhow. He usually creates a unique world (he’s good at that) and sets up characters within that framework, but actually doing something interesting with them, aside from solving the main problem, is not something he excelled at at that point. Silo the TV series does a good job of fleshing out the societies, relationships and just adding more humanity to the story. Four seasons should be perfect to strike a balance between those aspects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

angerbot posted:

The books are essentially beach/airplane reading. I think the show has a better pacing (in parts) where they've clearly taken time to add some padding.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I thought the show did so much to elevate the book's characters and worldbuilding.

Mokotow posted:

The books were written fairly early in Howley’s career, who is an ok writer at best anyhow. He usually creates a unique world (he’s good at that) and sets up characters within that framework, but actually doing something interesting with them, aside from solving the main problem, is not something he excelled at at that point. Silo the TV series does a good job of fleshing out the societies, relationships and just adding more humanity to the story. Four seasons should be perfect to strike a balance between those aspects.

These are exactly the answers I was hoping for, thank you. Books are pretty thin in parts, but offer a cool skeleton that could be built on.