Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Jyrraeth posted:

I picked this up on its most recent sale and I'm having a lot of fun. It's so, SO buggy and it's kind of hard to tell what's a bug and what's emergent behavior.

Do people occasionally just not show up to work? I finally figured out that the day of the week is a thing, I guess the emails do complain about calling in sick.

What does it mean when there's just ... Door noises? That i can't find out where it's coming from. Is that something that would be fixed by completely closing the game and reopening it?
If it's just like a constant door opening/closing noise on repeat that's probably just a sound glitch of some sort, that behavior is sort of common in all types of games and a save/reload or game restart should fix it. I suppose it's also possible people are opening and closing a door over and over in like a basement for some reason.

The way citizens in the game work is a bit odd sometimes. When they're not near you and not being rendered they're just simulated but I'm unsure of what that entails, like idk if they can get down the stairs any faster to get to work in that mode. I do know they don't typically run and never take the elevator, as such it can take someone living on the top floor of the tallest building a long, long time to get to the bottom. First time I had an infidelity case I just followed them and staked out their office the whole time. When they left for lunch since it was so high up they didn't get to the bottom before having to turn around and go back to work because their break was over. Although I think some of them might not care about that since I've caught people completely ignoring their work rota and taking a 3 hour lunch (like marketing did at my old job :v: ).

There's also some other factors like if they're involved in a case sometimes they'll stay at home or stay seated on a bench you met them at, and if they were the spouse of a murder victim they're just homeless now because their place is a crime scene they're not allowed to be in anymore. Then again they could just be stuck in a pathing error because there's too much trash piled up in a hallway somewhere or something like that. So it can be emergent behavior, something we don't understand about citizens' systems, or jank and bugs. Overall if you need to follow someone for a while it's best to just plant a tracker on them.

Edit: My current file had a decent delay in murders after the black market weapon dealer had been arrested for murder. Oddly they did buy the rifle from that store according to the sales ledger despite the only employee being in jail supposedly.

Annoyingly they shot their victim on the street and left no clues on the scene. Thought it might be a sniper but the case was named generational killer and those tend to leave a toy car behind. I found them through the ledger, tossed their place and found a toy car with their print on it, also found out they're an enforcer.

Arrested them on patrol just down the street from the crime scene. They had the rifle on them, so that was everything but evidence connecting them to the scene of the crime. So I said it was the print on the toy car and then dropped it on the body.

It loving worked! Five check marks. Either it glitched or they forgot their calling card at home, but I kinda hope it means planting evidence is actually a thing.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Brightman posted:

If it's just like a constant door opening/closing noise on repeat that's probably just a sound glitch of some sort, that behavior is sort of common in all types of games and a save/reload or game restart should fix it. I suppose it's also possible people are opening and closing a door over and over in like a basement for some reason.

The way citizens in the game work is a bit odd sometimes. When they're not near you and not being rendered they're just simulated but I'm unsure of what that entails, like idk if they can get down the stairs any faster to get to work in that mode. I do know they don't typically run and never take the elevator, as such it can take someone living on the top floor of the tallest building a long, long time to get to the bottom. First time I had an infidelity case I just followed them and staked out their office the whole time. When they left for lunch since it was so high up they didn't get to the bottom before having to turn around and go back to work because their break was over. Although I think some of them might not care about that since I've caught people completely ignoring their work rota and taking a 3 hour lunch (like marketing did at my old job :v: ).

There's also some other factors like if they're involved in a case sometimes they'll stay at home or stay seated on a bench you met them at, and if they were the spouse of a murder victim they're just homeless now because their place is a crime scene they're not allowed to be in anymore. Then again they could just be stuck in a pathing error because there's too much trash piled up in a hallway somewhere or something like that. So it can be emergent behavior, something we don't understand about citizens' systems, or jank and bugs. Overall if you need to follow someone for a while it's best to just plant a tracker on them.

Edit: My current file had a decent delay in murders after the black market weapon dealer had been arrested for murder. Oddly they did buy the rifle from that store according to the sales ledger despite the only employee being in jail supposedly.

Annoyingly they shot their victim on the street and left no clues on the scene. Thought it might be a sniper but the case was named generational killer and those tend to leave a toy car behind. I found them through the ledger, tossed their place and found a toy car with their print on it, also found out they're an enforcer.

Arrested them on patrol just down the street from the crime scene. They had the rifle on them, so that was everything but evidence connecting them to the scene of the crime. So I said it was the print on the toy car and then dropped it on the body.

It loving worked! Five check marks. Either it glitched or they forgot their calling card at home, but I kinda hope it means planting evidence is actually a thing.

I think its something to do with the elevator. Probably some item is clipping through somewhere and I can't seem to find it. Oh well, I'm just gonna make the problem worse by throwing all my garbage down the elevator shaft. multiple reloads didn't fix or change anything, but occasionally interacting with things in the building makes it stop for about an in-game-hour with a big CLANG.

The person I'm trying to photograph isn't at home OR at work and I can't seem to find her anywhere. I'm not focusing on it and I'm just throwing her profile at randos when I'm bored. I suppose she could just be meandering the streets because of pathing. I don't think she's involved in any of the cases I've been working on. Def noticed some folks taking 3 hour lunches and taking their time climbing the stairs to work for one hour and go home.

Love that story, I duno if planting evidence is the intended behavior but heh, I'd take it

Other questions about the game:
- when you move apartments, do your items just vanish when you leave? I just had a wall clock and a bench in my garbo basement apartment so no big deal.
- When you get a new murder, if there's another murder afterwards is it always the same killer? Or have I just gotten serial killers for the last two missions?
- Is talking to people kind of worthless?
- Does the game occasionally glitch out and make people's glasses into a weird purple glow?

I'm getting used to the game and makes it a lot easier to play when you know that while everyone stares at you like you're on fire but really they don't give a poo poo. While unrealistic, I'm glad no one really remembers you and you can just leave a building and come back to clear yourself of various fines and the like.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Talking to people is great, but has its limitations. In particular I find asking them to help identify people who you have seen but don't have a name for to be valuable, but they can also help in doing things like more definitively nailing down the time a crime took place, or in tracking down someone's habits. I don't know if they patched this but I also found it was very helpful previously to ask the person you suspected to be the killer when they last saw the victim. Without fail, they would say, "Oh, yeah, Phillip? Yeah, I last saw him at the exact time the crime took place, why?" Note that the neighbors will also say they last saw the victim at about the right time too; I would guess the game just checks the last time when someone was in proximity to another person, and corpses do count.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

And yes, there is only ever one murderer — if you get a new case while an old one is still open, it will be the same killer. I'm pretty sure it's there to just make the whole thing more manageable (both to solve and to handle from a programming perspective) but it also removes the issue where a murderer gets killed by someone else and leaves the whole case impossible to resolve. The game already has a couple of those issues where intersecting crimes can cause mission givers and perps, or — less critically — key witnesses to be removed from the game. They've managed to patch out most of that but it still happens from time to time if you play for long enough in large enough a city.