Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Between rust malaise, stuck bolts, and a bout with COVID, progress has been slow. I think I've decided to buy new rear suspension components. I still want to get all this crap off the donor, though, and I'm trying to do that this week so I can put the snow tires on my daily. I think it's time to break out the cutoff wheels for some of this (not just the Jesus bolts, per the Subaru thread, but a bunch of other stuck bolts, including the loving oil drain plug on the oil pan).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Starting to be destructive. Cutting things that need to be cut to remove them from the donor. Drilling holes in the floor of the donor to attach casters. The usual.

LH rear assembly is out. I'll get RH tomorrow. Debating on whether I want to bother pulling the remaining suspension bits. I've decided I'm going to buy new lateral links and trailing arms (fancy adjustable ones, I guess), so I don't need to rescue them from the donor. I don't think the bolts are going to get *more* seized over the winter outside.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

And it's outta here. I still need to jack it back up and get two bolts I couldn't get at while on the quickjack, and maybe I'll go further and get the rear diff out. I've gotta rejigger the rear casters a bit because it turns out the spare tire area is not up to the task of supporting the weight of the chassis. It's scrap at this point, so not a big deal. I could definitely tow it around the driveway as-is, but the rear has a tendency to swing to the passenger side which is annoying.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Posting my excuse for why I probably won't be working on this project for a bit!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

carticket posted:

Posting my excuse for why I probably won't be working on this project for a bit!

Ooof you okay?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

FFFFFF indeed. That sucks.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

What's better than a donor car?

two of them :downsrim:

That sucks dude. Hope you're feeling ok and get things sorted out.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Yeah, I'm okay and so is the other driver. This is +3 days from incident. Still got some bruises and airbag burns in one arm, but they did their job. The car would probably make a great rally car. Replace bumper and bumper beam, bang the very front of the frame back straight. The engine bay looked pretty untouched, all four wheels are in the right spot pointing the right way, no fluids lost. I figure a rally car is gonna get beat up anyway! They could plausibly not total it, but 6 airbags deployed (4 curtains, steering wheel, and footwell), and the frame is tweaked where the bumper attached.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

carticket posted:

Yeah, I'm okay and so is the other driver. This is +3 days from incident. Still got some bruises and airbag burns in one arm, but they did their job. The car would probably make a great rally car. Replace bumper and bumper beam, bang the very front of the frame back straight. The engine bay looked pretty untouched, all four wheels are in the right spot pointing the right way, no fluids lost. I figure a rally car is gonna get beat up anyway! They could plausibly not total it, but 6 airbags deployed (4 curtains, steering wheel, and footwell), and the frame is tweaked where the bumper attached.

Usually any airbag deployment = total. The insurance companies just don't want to deal with the liability. They tend to offer higher #s than what the car is worth, to discourage people buying it back/parting it out.

I have a 2011 WRX that's my baby. I had to get a quote for some minor repair through insurance, and the person I spoke with on the phone said something like "well, due to the age of the vehicle..." and I kind of stopped listening, because a 2011 isn't an old] car to anyone, except maybe insurance companies. I think they'd be happiest if the most people got out of their cars was 5-10 years.

The main thing is, it did its job and you're OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Captain McAllister posted:

The main thing is, it did its job and you're OK.

At the end of the day, that is what really matters.

You lived to tell the tale.