Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Directed by Wes Craven

This is a wild horror movie directed by one of the best to ever do it. The premise is a young boy, Fool, living in poverty agrees to help rob his landlord's mansion in order to steal enough money to avoid his family being evicted. However once they get into the house it becomes clear immediately that the owners are up to some very weird and deadly stuff.

This movie is a ride from beginning to end. It doesn't take long for Fool to get to the house and once he does the situation escalates in unpredictable ways straight through to the finale.

Everett McGill and Wendy Robie, fresh off of Twin Peaks, play the landlord couple and bring a demented energy to their performances as a couple of typical American conservatives. The film is also very unique tonally, at times feeling like an R-Rated Are You Afraid of the Dark episode.

The overt political text of the movie also can't be overlooked, especially when it comes to class and race. The landlords are wealthy old money racists preying on Fool's community and the movie is not subtle with it's commentary on this at all, and is all the better for it.

I saw this for the first time just last October and it immediately became one of my new favorites. It's currently available to rent on most streaming services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
This movie is amazing. Definitely gunna rewatch for the may horror challenge

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Maybe not the best timing for the May movie of the month but People Under the Stairs is actually getting a 4k release on May 30th. I'll probably grab it, I don't have the movie in my collection and it's definitely top-3 Craven for me.

FueledBySatan
Nov 26, 2006

We are but men

MacheteZombie posted:

This movie is amazing. Definitely gunna rewatch for the may horror challenge

There's a May horror challenge now? Is there a list or just a certain number of movies?

Also, I loved this movie years ago the last time i watched it. How appropriate is this for a ten year old because I can't quite remeber.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

FueledBySatan posted:

There's a May horror challenge now? Is there a list or just a certain number of movies?

Also, I loved this movie years ago the last time i watched it. How appropriate is this for a ten year old because I can't quite remeber.

Its just a challenge to watch 13 or more horror movies and write about them. And a list of 13 challenges to prompt people.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030839

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
This is a great choice for the thread. It's one I'd considered using many times and would have eventually landed on anyway. I personally consider it to be the best thing Wes Craven ever did. And in reference to the two main villains they were specifically inspired by Ronald and Nancy Reagan as well as being flavored by the "moral majority" types. Even outside of that it's just a super weird movie that swings for the fences.

FueledBySatan
Nov 26, 2006

We are but men
I'm a dumbass and found the May horror challenge thread immediately after I asked about it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Wait, so settle a discussion I've been having: did most people first watch this film when they were, like, a kid?

Obviously, rating-wise, it's not a kid's flick. It's R. But I was once in a room full of twenty to thirty nerds talking about what to pick for a movie night, and when I suggested it everyone there swore blindly that they saw it when they were a kid. (For "kid" here read "young teen".)

Is this a common experience or nah? Because I brought this up in another thread recently and people had no idea what I was talking about.

I've not seen it, but this thread's given me the impetus I need to check it out tonight.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Hey so I watched it, and yeah, it's pretty fun.

I stand by the read that it's basically a kids film, just one that happens to have a more realistic approach to violence and gore than you'd expect. A lot of the character archetypes and performances, and quite a few of the shots read that way to me. Plus a lot of the set-pieces have that really fun, playful, kinetic sense of absurdity to them that I associate with kid's films -- like the dog sliding down the slide on his little tea tray. :3

Roach feels like he's straight out of a young adult adventure yarn, and I was really impressed with the way the film handled his death. Really understated, and quite brutal in the way his body is treated.

But there's nothing really that crosses the line for me, other than a few shots of corpses being played with, and a bit of the language. Like even the shots of knives or some of the blood and stuff, that's the kind of thing that I'm fine with being in a kid's film, and I was watching stuff way worse than that when I was twelve. I can certainly imagine this airing on television with a handful of edits.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

Wait, so settle a discussion I've been having: did most people first watch this film when they were, like, a kid?

Obviously, rating-wise, it's not a kid's flick. It's R. But I was once in a room full of twenty to thirty nerds talking about what to pick for a movie night, and when I suggested it everyone there swore blindly that they saw it when they were a kid. (For "kid" here read "young teen".)

Is this a common experience or nah? Because I brought this up in another thread recently and people had no idea what I was talking about.

Yeah, it was on TV a lot back in the 1990s. All my friends who were into horror put it into that must-see category. I could see younger people not having a clue about it though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Hey so I watched it, and yeah, it's pretty fun.

I stand by the read that it's basically a kids film, just one that happens to have a more realistic approach to violence and gore than you'd expect. A lot of the character archetypes and performances, and quite a few of the shots read that way to me. Plus a lot of the set-pieces have that really fun, playful, kinetic sense of absurdity to them that I associate with kid's films -- like the dog sliding down the slide on his little tea tray. :3

Roach feels like he's straight out of a young adult adventure yarn, and I was really impressed with the way the film handled his death. Really understated, and quite brutal in the way his body is treated.

But there's nothing really that crosses the line for me, other than a few shots of corpses being played with, and a bit of the language. Like even the shots of knives or some of the blood and stuff, that's the kind of thing that I'm fine with being in a kid's film, and I was watching stuff way worse than that when I was twelve. I can certainly imagine this airing on television with a handful of edits.

I think a big part of the vibe is that horror movies usually aren't based around kids or if they are they're some kind of spooky kids instead of regular kids. This did air on tv a lot and I remember one of the edits being someone yelling "Shut the FAITH up!". I never much thought about it but this does have kind of a kids adventure feeling to it.

Except for the guy in a gimp suit blasting poo poo with a shotgun, lol. I remember once saying to someone in reference to this "I have no idea what they were going for but they nailed it.".

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Everett McGill and Wendy Robie should have been in so many more movies and TV shows together, just playing different varieties of weird couples.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This movie rules. Just finished watching it for the first time and goddamn. McGill and Robie are amazing in this. They carry the entire thing.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Watching this now, it's such a good script. The tarot card opening is so cool

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Watching this now, it's such a good script. The tarot card opening is so cool

the tarot card opening and the lead character being named "Fool" is such Wes Craven poo poo. the most humanities professor rear end horror director. love him.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the tarot card opening and the lead character being named "Fool" is such Wes Craven poo poo. the most humanities professor rear end horror director. love him.

Excuse me he's actually named poindexter lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Excuse me he's actually named poindexter lmao

Oh my god Poindexter “Fool” Williams. Absolutely goated character name.