Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

this movie is so loving good. its on HBO max if you haven’t seen it. Badass ocean combat, peak russel Crowe, cannons everywhere, full of sailing gibberish. they spent an insane amount of money on this (including filming on location in the Galapagos for no particular reason??) and it shows on every frame, the ships are amazing to look at. also one of the dadliest movies ever made. I only wish they’d made more of them.

any other cool period sailing movies out there? im 100% in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Finally watched this a couple years ago and it kicks rear end. Crowe and Bettany are excellent

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

oh man ive been meanin to watch this for years, good tip

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's so good. I wanted a whole series of them but I'm still surprised and appreciative we got even one movie like it.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

vyelkin posted:

It's so good. I wanted a whole series of them but I'm still surprised and appreciative we got even one movie like it.

its kind of a miracle it exists, basically not compromised in any way. I read something about how the studio exec at the time was just basically in love with it and fought like hell to make it good even though a bunch of stuff is objectively nuts like building a giant 18th century sailing ship and filming on it in a huge tank for days on end.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

buffalo all day posted:

its kind of a miracle it exists, basically not compromised in any way. I read something about how the studio exec at the time was just basically in love with it and fought like hell to make it good even though a bunch of stuff is objectively nuts like building a giant 18th century sailing ship and filming on it in a huge tank for days on end.

it cost $150,000,000 to make and it was worth every penny, also this means you could make 2-3 Master and Commander movies for every one Avengers movie

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

hosed up we never got a sequel, this movie owns so hard

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

APRIL - 1805

NAPOLEON IS MASTER OF EUROPE.
ONLY THE BRITISH FLEET STANDS BEFORE HIM
OCEANS ARE NOW BATTLEFIELDS.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

vyelkin posted:

it cost $150,000,000 to make and it was worth every penny, also this means you could make 2-3 Master and Commander movies for every one Avengers movie

frankly its bullshit we haven't gotten another

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I will, at some point, try the books again but the film is a certified banger. To get your fix of nautical escapades you might also try the old itv series of Hornblower if you can find it which I just like to throw on from time to time

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

hornblower ftw, good fuckin boat show

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
this movie rules. saw it in the cinema back in 2003 with my dad (lol) and we both loved it. twenty years later i still love it

everything said in this thread is true but i also want to shout out killick the cook as secretly the best character in the whole thing, just muttering to himself all the time

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Master and Commander? I hardly Master and Know ‘er!

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Huggybear posted:

Oh I didn't realize you were the Grand Arbiter of Takes on on fantasy football twitter and therefore your opinion is automatically superior to mine. Congratulations, you seem both arrogant and, to borrow one of Stephen's favorite descriptors, "deeply stupid" at the same time. He had zero patience for people like that, interestingly. Have you ever had your nose wrung by a diminutive, yellowish, Irish-Catalanian bastard physician?

That said, I used to be a member of the Aubrey/Maturin facebook group and it's mostly boomers posting terrible sloth memes, so maybe that's more your perspective

If you want a good example of a masterpiece that is an excellent take on an excellent novel, look no further than the BBC miniseries Pride and Prejudice. If you want a hamfisted take on the same novel, look no further than the Kiera Knightley version of the same. If you don't understand why, study film theory, watch better cinema, or even read Jane Austen as it will deepen your appreciation for the nuance and sophistication of O'Brian's style and eye for conversational detail, and how this is completely ignored in the movie; and, how it could have been. Good for you that you liked the movie, I loving adore the kung fu genre but in no way am I going around pronouncing my absolute favorite, Ip Man, a "masterpiece" - there are gradients of objective quality in cinema, and action movies rarely transcend "an engaging distraction" even if the movie is dear to my heart for various subjective and sentimental reasons.

e: Yes, Bonden would have to have been exceptionally strong - he is often steering the ships in storms which would require immense strength, along with lifting the doctor up the rigging, the boxing match...which is, as I mentioned, another reason the movie is terrible, it is utterly miscast. Aside from Russell Crowe's complete mishandling of Aubrey's character, Paul Bettany reduces Stephen to a peevish adolescent, and even at his normal size Billy Boyd looks like he's five years old. Honestly it seems like the director, casting director and cast only read the script and not the novels themselves, and the script writer was an idiot for reasons I have already clarified.

Lmao having a normal one in the book barn

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

just watched it, very fuckin sick movie. why didnt we get ten more of these

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There! I’ve got you. Don’t you know that in his majesty’s service we are to always choose the lesser of two weevils?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

the sex ghost posted:

I will, at some point, try the books again but the film is a certified banger. To get your fix of nautical escapades you might also try the old itv series of Hornblower if you can find it which I just like to throw on from time to time

I’ve read the series through multiple times, and would enthusiastically suggest that you should also.

Honestly, the first book is not my favorite. It’s fine, and there are some great scenes, but I like book 2 on much better.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011