Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Problem description: There is something funky going on with my computer, apparently related to getting power.

I found the PC would not turn on. No motherboard beeps, no fan noise, not a blink or a click or a whine - it was as if it wasn't plugged in. Not being completely inexperienced, I first suspected my power supply. Swapped out to an old PSU that didn't have a connector for my graphics card, and it worked. Before I swapped the PSUs out, though, I decided to check if it was just a loose cable and connected my old PSU again - and it worked. Thinking it was a loose cable I connected everything back up and it was back to not turning on at all.

Some trial and error eventually found that once the PSU was plugged into the graphics card it stopped working, even when it was disconnected from the GPU, until it was physically unplugged (from the power outlet, not the GPU) and plugged back in again. After being unplugged and plugged back in it would work until it was connected to the GPU again, making me suspect some kind of short.

Attempted fixes: The old power supply didn't have the connectors to hook up to the GPU, so I couldn't test if it was the GPU or the power supply causing the short. Instead, with a vague idea this was maybe not the best idea anyone ever had, I decided to try running the PC with two power supplies, the current one connected to the GPU and the old one connected to everything else. Result: The computer booted; GPU fan did not engage; PC showed as running on integrated graphics.

As this point I am like 70% sure something in the GPU is causing a short and keeping the power supply from working, with a 15% chance the (current) power supply has a very specific fault that only shorts it out when connected to the GPU, and a 15% chance it is something I didn't think of. But before I plunk down several hundred dollars on a replacement GPU I thought I would ask for suggestions.

Recent changes: None, though its been getting some hard use playing lots of AoW4 in the last week.

--

Operating system: Windows 11

System specs: Home built. Uh, I don't have the specs in front of me, but the GPU is an old GTX 1080 that I previously had to apply a crude fix to correct a burnt out MOSFET so it would not at all surprise me is the issue.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yeah, I'd just try another GPU at this point.

Someone in another thread recently had success by simply trying another C13 power cord. Although it's usually not that simple.