Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o3ZCfSdvSU

He finds arrowheads and other things he claims are real artifacts everywhere. Maybe I’m unaware how common this is, but I’m sort of on the fence about this guy being completely legit. In one video he says all you have to do is go to one of these buildings that has pebbles all around it, and you’ll find arrowheads, but in a later video he says its his own building.

In other videos he pulls these blackened stones out of the ground which he calls ancient heating stones used by Native Americans. It seems like it’s just his own theory.

I dunno, maybe he’s a rare lone super genius archeologist. Anyways the guy seems pretty interesting.

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Nothing on YouTube is real op

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

seems like a cool guy op

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Nick clegg or is this a different clegg

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What do you think, OP?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

I sure wouldn't buy any "Indian artefacts" off this guy,

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Ok I watched the video and this guy seems like a real “tool” op

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
In an alternate timeline somewhere we’re still using bows and arrows and arrowhead pollution is a major ecological concern.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Does he still rent textbooks to college students

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Konar posted:

seems like a cool guy op

Yeah he does

Waltzing Along posted:

What do you think, OP?

I think he’s interesting and knowledgeable, but makes up a lot of theories.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
forget everything else he replied to every single comment under that youtube video. he alittle bit psycho

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
The king of the hill episode where some intellectual goober digs up hank's lawn looking for arrowheads and repeatedly gets pushed by hank into the excavated hole at the end but the intellectual goober is the OP

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Good Sphere posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o3ZCfSdvSU

He finds arrowheads and other things he claims are real artifacts everywhere. Maybe I’m unaware how common this is, but I’m sort of on the fence about this guy being completely legit. In one video he says all you have to do is go to one of these buildings that has pebbles all around it, and you’ll find arrowheads, but in a later video he says its his own building.

In other videos he pulls these blackened stones out of the ground which he calls ancient heating stones used by Native Americans. It seems like it’s just his own theory.

I dunno, maybe he’s a rare lone super genius archeologist. Anyways the guy seems pretty interesting.

Imma not gonna watch it as I'm an archaeologist and would probably get really angry but kinda and there are laws against collecting it depending on where you are. Ancient heating stones is probably bullshit outside of some specific circumstances.

Brought in construction materials have a habit of getting crushed and kicking off poo poo that can look like flaked stone debitage

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 9, 2023

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

He keeps finding the same arrowhead in every video OP. It's like golf he throws the arrowhead than searches for it.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Also if he knew what he was doing he prolly wouldnt be using the term arrowhead, since a lot/the majority of what people actually call arrowheads are not actually arrowheads.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
"first thing ya do, gitchoo a" stopped right there, he probably loots arch sites and rock shelters, thereby destroying them

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Telsa Cola posted:

Also if he knew what he was doing he prolly wouldnt be using the term arrowhead, since a lot/the majority of what people actually call arrowheads are not actually arrowheads.
I saw a guy freaking out on Facebook about woke culture run amok because someone called one a projectile point instead of an arrowhead. People had to point out to him it predated the concept of arrows. It was weird.

I have no clue who clegg is, but depending on where he's at, it's not unreasonable to assume he might frequently find points. I'm a weirdo shark tooth collector, and folks in the hobby come across points all the time while digging/sifting for teeth.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
one time i saw a nice looking rock in a little stream in the sierras. i hung from a tiny walking bridge over the stream and grabbed blindly at the nice looking rock. instead of getting it i ended up with an arrowhead in my hand.

for someone who compulsively watches for nice looking pebbles and such i'd expect to have had this happen to me every few weeks for my whole life, not just once

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Telsa Cola posted:

They’re microliths, Marie.

Duck
Dec 9, 2000

Prepare for the end.

Telsa Cola posted:

Imma not gonna watch it as I'm an archaeologist and would probably get really angry but kinda and there are laws against collecting it depending on where you are. Ancient heating stones is probably bullshit outside of some specific circumstances.

Brought in construction materials have a habit of getting crushed and kicking off poo poo that can look like flaked stone debitage

Massage therapist here. Hot stones sold in amazon and whatnot are usually lava rock from wherever, often billed as being Icelandic. I can tell you that black stones with very little sand composition makes for good (cheap) hot stones. Plus they’re big and heavy so customers prefer them.

Anything that’s not mostly sand will hold heat well, so I used black river rock from my local lawn and garden store. They can be heated in a fire, crockpot or oven and stuck in bedding for warmth. So that’s probably what native heating stones are.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Duck posted:

Massage therapist here. Hot stones sold in amazon and whatnot are usually lava rock from wherever, often billed as being Icelandic. I can tell you that black stones with very little sand composition makes for good (cheap) hot stones. Plus they’re big and heavy so customers prefer them.

Anything that’s not mostly sand will hold heat well, so I used black river rock from my local lawn and garden store. They can be heated in a fire, crockpot or oven and stuck in bedding for warmth. So that’s probably what native heating stones are.

I have old soapstone bed warmers which are neat but I am very glad I don't need to use them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Duck posted:

Eh I watched the the video. He's talking about stones used to heat up water in containers and his reasoning is he found fire affected rock.

Fire affected rock is loving everywhere if you look for it, while there are indeed dozens of cultural reasons why it could be in a location it can also (and commonly does) occur from wildfires, or from a campfire.

In order to say with any real degree of confidence that it's actually a thing archaeologically I'd either need to see it as being part of a feature ( it's definitely a thing), in association with positively identifiable artifacts (maybe confident, area could have been burned over), or it being a material that wasn't local to the area (So like someone transported basalt to an area that only has sandstone for miles around).

Similar dealio with your idea, I'd need to see a lot of other things before I made a determination that it was cultural.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 9, 2023