Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
Anybody collect DVDs/Blu-Rays/4Ks (or Laserdisc or VHS or film prints or more obscure formats)? I started buying Blu-Rays etc. after Filmstruck went down, which upset me at the time. It's probably not a rational response and certainly not cost-effective, but I like not having to care whether something happens to be on streaming services. It does annoy me when films I love are not available, though (I'd really love to have The Face of Another on physical media, but I can't find a copy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
its never been a better time for physical media, op. the best buys around here have bigger selections than they did in 2013. i love it, 4k blu ray looks so much better. and the sound!

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
Definitely, my jaw dropped first when I put on a 4K disc for the first time and then when I saw that my local library lends out 4Ks now.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Remembering the VHS copy of Michael Jackson's "Thriller" my family had with a making-of documentary at the end of it. We would watch the whole thing every time we played it, and enjoy every second. Physical media is great.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I love buying movies on bluray/uhd. It's a blast picking up a bunch of the obscure poo poo that's now on disc.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This forum is for rentals only OP

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

Do library loans count?

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003

i really want to collect 4k or the best quality whatever of movies i can, but i have no more room for poo poo in my apartment. i love movies, and i want the best quality, but i'm poor. it is amazing though; things i used to buy on bootleg vhs on ebay are available on 4k discs now. the future is here.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

s_k_a_m_ posted:

i really want to collect 4k or the best quality whatever of movies i can, but i have no more room for poo poo in my apartment. i love movies, and i want the best quality, but i'm poor. it is amazing though; things i used to buy on bootleg vhs on ebay are available on 4k discs now. the future is here.

It's an addiction once u get going

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

I don't want to think about how much money I've spent on discs (bonus for upgrading DVDs to higher-quality formats).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I have like 3000 optical discs in my house, starting with a DVD of The Wall in 1999.

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

I recently found a bunch of anime dvds and blurays in my closet I forgot I ever bought, including the full series of His and Her circumstances. Might have to watch it through.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Was explaining to my wife last night the joy and perils of buying dbz vhs tapes back in the day

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

Was explaining to my wife last night the joy and perils of buying dbz vhs tapes back in the day

i was at th exchange the other day and they had most of the saiyan saga on vhs for sale, it took up two whole shelves lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Fungah! posted:

i was at th exchange the other day and they had most of the saiyan saga on vhs for sale, it took up two whole shelves lol

Lol

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

they're still on namek

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

Fungah! posted:

lol

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

i used to collect hella DVDs but stopped and left them in the garage at my parents house and moved away and eventually a lot of them got ruined. but recently they cleaned out the garage and my brother rescued as many of the actual discs for me as he could and threw them into a big CD binder. it was a trip to go through it and see all the poo poo i bought when i was a teenager. special edition Doom House DVD lmfao. i was also a retard back then and exclusively bought fullscreen prints of movies 'because i don't have a widescreen TV so why would i want the widescreen version?' so most of them are trash now anyway. now i just have everything in Plex.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Plex owns love it to death. But I also buy so many blurays. So many Italian flicks lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I just got a copy of Robot Jox on bluray in the mail.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

MacheteZombie posted:

Hell yeah

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I tried to give away my old vhs player and collection of like 40 disney movies on vhs that were in storage. I put them in a box and taped it shut and put a note on it saying what it all was. someone came by, opened it, took the vhs player, left the tapes, closed it again, and put a note on it saying thank you for the vhs player, we've been looking for one for ages.

so I just tossed all the vhs tapes in a dumpster because I'm sick of them taking up all the space

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I did just buy this tho, first physical media I've gotten in a while. gunbuster rules

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

so I just tossed all the vhs tapes in a dumpster because I'm sick of them taking up all the space

Sad to hear it, even if those films aren't at all rare.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I tried giving them away for a while but literally nobody wants them, and the plastic clamshells holding the tapes were doing that thing old plastic does where it turns yellow and disintegrates, it was just a mess.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

I suppose old tapes age less gracefully than old books.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

I'm a special kind of asshole!

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

Anybody collect DVDs/Blu-Rays/4Ks (or Laserdisc or VHS or film prints or more obscure formats)? I started buying Blu-Rays etc. after Filmstruck went down, which upset me at the time. It's probably not a rational response and certainly not cost-effective, but I like not having to care whether something happens to be on streaming services. It does annoy me when films I love are not available, though (I'd really love to have The Face of Another on physical media, but I can't find a copy).

On one hand, I do own Laserdiscs. On the other, I haven't bought new ones or watched mine in over a year.

THIS SHOWSTOPPING SIGGY MADE BY JOURNEYMAN SIGSMITH Dick Fontaine

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Got my 4K Blu Ray of Gorgo from Vinegar Syndrome in today, cheers to Roth for giving me the heads-up that it even existed. Love the cover art:

I also really like the interior cover, a cute artwork of mama and baby monster:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Nice

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

that looks cool

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Punished Chuck posted:

Got my 4K Blu Ray of Gorgo from Vinegar Syndrome in today, cheers to Roth for giving me the heads-up that it even existed. Love the cover art:

badass

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Punished Chuck posted:

Watched my copy of this today, had a good time.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MacheteZombie posted:

hell yeah

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

Watched my copy of this today, had a good time.

it's a little slow to get started but once it does it's one of my favorite kaiju movies, the destruction of London is one of my favorites in the genre and the whole premise that makes the monster sympathetic was a really cool twist on the formula.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Punished Chuck posted:

it's a little slow to get started but once it does it's one of my favorite kaiju movies, the destruction of London is one of my favorites in the genre and the whole premise that makes the monster sympathetic was a really cool twist on the formula.

Yeah I really enjoyed the reveal about the monster they caught :3:

The dead fish creatures floating in the water at the beginning were creepy and well made too.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Punished Chuck posted:

cool!

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
the vinegar syndrome physical store is one of the coolest places ive ever been to