Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

In theory any alcohol would work. The key is some combination of fat plus solvent plus aromatics.

Crushed garlic is also an excellent aromatic in all contexts but especially this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

TheWeedNumber posted:

I need help spicing up my life as far as cooking chicken breast goes. Anyone got some favorite recipes or seasonings I should incorporate? Simple is best. Healthy but tasty is the goal. Appreciate y'all.

Two words.

Lemon.

Pepper.

Bonus third word: (homemade)

Amazing Allrounder for chicken and fish.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Two words.

Lemon.

Pepper.

Was going to say this, lemon pepper goes incredibly hard for something so simple.

https://easychickenrecipes.com/balsamic-lemon-pepper-chicken-marinade/

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Made icecream with this old electric churner

3.5 cups heavy wipping cream
2.5 cups milk
sprinkle of salt
.5 cups sugar
3 spoonfuls of vanilla extract

I had 3 cups of fresh cherries we pitted and I added them.

I combined all that jazz into a pot and heated it until the sugar was disolved.

I then placed the pot O stuff into my freezer until it was 40 degrees.

Load your ice cream makers metal bowl into the machine and pour in your pot O stuff. Put in the mixer attachment and put that lid on the whole contraption next. Attach the motor and plug it in.

We are about to make homemade Icescream.

Plug that motor in make sure is is turning. Add 2 inches of Ice to the outside bucket. add a 3/4 cup of salt rock. Continue doing this until you get to the top of the IceScreams bucket. Let run until the motor stops.

You have 2 options here
Eat soft serv now or finish it in a freezer until frozen

I

I suggest you

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Two words.

Lemon.

Pepper.

just wanted to say this was the move but I was hesitant to go back to it for a while, mainly because of prior overuse. But nah, properly seasoned, this fucks

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
ok so im trying to cook proper medium rare steaks with the cast iron pan and i keep going over temp. How low do I need to keep the heat to do this right? Am I leaving the steak on there too long?

I'm at the point where im setting the gas stove either on 2 or between 2 and "lo". What do?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

You're going to want much higher heat and shorter time. Make sure you bring the pan up to temperature over medium high to high heat before putting the steak on. If you flick a small bit of water on the pan it should have tiny bubbles jumping around.

After you do the water test, throw in a high smoke point fat and let it heat up. Use canola or peanut oil as a neutral oil. I personally prefer to use ghee. Then throw the steak in. Depending on thickness you only need few minutes per side.

When you check the temperature of the steak to pull it off the pan, aim for about 10f degrees below medium rare. When you hit this target temp, put the steak on a cutting board, cover it snugly with aluminum foil, and let it rest for about ten minutes. The residual heat will continue cooking it while it rests and you shouldn't be cutting it until it's done resting anyway. Otherwise you'll release too much of the juice and dry it out.

When you pull it off the pan, drop the heat to medium throw a pat of butter or some duck fat or bacon grease in along with aromatics like diced shallots and crushed garlic. Let it saute for a min or so. Then drop to low, throw in a splash of red wine, vermouth, bourbon, or a vinegar and something herbal like a sprig thyme or rosemary. Stir as needed until it reduces down into a delicious sauce. Be sure to scrape off all the seared bits left in the pan from the steak and let them dissolve into the sauce. This step isn't required but you've got ten minutes waiting for the steak to rest so may as well get all the deliciousness out of the fond.

After the steak rests, carve it into thin strips by cutting against the grain. This will especially help with cheaper, tougher, stringier cuts. It will also help with the toughness if you overshoot your rareness. Plate it up and spoon some of the sauce over it.

Part of the process is going to be experimentation. Hitting the sweet spot is going to depend a lot on the specifics of your stove and your pan. Grab some cheap cuts and play around until you get dialed in.

That said trying to do the entire thing in a cast iron in the stove top is probably the hardest method to hit a specific temperature. Using a reverse sear technique by hearing the steak and pan in the oven on a lower temp and then following with a high heat sear will be more reliable. And if you want high precision temperature control and super easy cooking I cannot preach the virtues of sous vide enough.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
If you're searing both sides then finishing in the oven, maybe just skip the oven step altogether. If you're taking too long to get a sear it'll cook through as well. You can solve this by getting the pan hotter or making the steak thicker (or by making sure the meat is well dried)

Finally, don't forget that there will be carryover cooking of a couple degrees while you let it rest

E: Eh beaten

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I put my cast iron skillet on high heat and check to make sure water droplets dance off the metal before applying the meat. Once I put the meat on I check after a few minutes for the desired amount of sear then I flip the meat. Once the other side has enough sear, I place the meat on aluminum foil with salt and pepper and a pat or two of butter before sealing the meat into the foil to rest while I prepare the vegetables in the same pan. Once everything is done, I remove the meat from the foil pouch, plate up, and enjoy. I typically cook to medium rare, but if I want rarer meat, I put on more heat, not less.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
Wouldn’t have thought of these techniques but like that sounds doable. FYI I’m doing the kosher thing so that might affect things a bit. Still think imma be fine tho.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Just skip the butter for Kosher. Or use schmaltz :wiggle:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Soul Dentist posted:

Just skip the butter for Kosher. Or use schmaltz :wiggle:

Or tallow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Yeah all the fats are substitutable with other fats as long as the smoke point is high enough that it won't burn. Use canola or peanut oil when searing the steak but you can get away with something lower temp and more flavorful when you're just sauteing the aromatics. Might not even have to add more if enough oil is still left in the pan from the steak.