Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
China's top scientists launched a 10-story tall rocket, but it accidentally went into unstable orbit instead of making its planned descent into the ocean. On May 10th, 21 tons of hot metal will come crashing down somewhere on planet Earth south of New York, and north of New Zealand (i.e. where almost everyone lives). It'll create a 100-mile wide debris zone which would be pretty hosed up if it landed in a city!

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/may/04/out-of-control-chinese-rocket-tumbling-to-earth

quote:
Part of a huge rocket that launched China’s first module for its Tianhe space station is falling back to Earth and could make an uncontrolled re-entry at an unknown landing point.

The 30-metre high core of the Long March 5B rocket launched the “Heavenly Harmony” unmanned core module into low Earth orbit on 29 April from Wenchang in China’s Hainan province.

The Long March 5B then itself entered a temporary orbit, setting the stage for one of the largest ever uncontrolled re-entries. Some experts fear it could land on an inhabited area.

“It’s potentially not good,” said Jonathan McDowell, Astrophysicist at the Astrophysics Center at Harvard University.

I agree with Harvard Astrophysicist Jonathan McDowell that this is "potentially not good". But I think it could also be good, like if it landed on Mar A Lago maybe.

Where do you all think it will land? I secretly hope it hits me and will be spending May 10th hanging out in the front yard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i hope it lands directly and exactly on my freaking BALLS.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Chinatown posted:

Been saying this

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

long marches are good at putting stuff into orbit and real bad at not leaving uncontrolled spent boosters in decaying orbits

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Arent you a year too late op? I hope the rocket balls collision scenario was everything you ever hoped for, sincerely

a gay lion named Tangiers
Jul 30, 2013
hey i hate to be that guy but this is actually jupiter, it's "falling back" to an earth in a completely different solar system that is parallel to this one and the "explosion" is just a counterbalanced lunar occlusion

nice troll though.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Chinatown posted:

gonna slam my balls ontop of your balls so it lands on my balls first!!!!!

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
please god let it wipe me and everyone in my town out

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

So where did it land OP? Oh, I see, right in your rear end in a top hat it looks like.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
That was two years ago op

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

That was two years ago op

time gets weird when youre in space because theres less oxygen to slow it down

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Weirdly enough a chinese rocket fell close to Japan/Okinawa a few days ago... Made quite the light show.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

That rockets gonna crash straight into my rear end in a top hat!!

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
man, this happens with like every second rocket they poo poo into space. heres hoping it misses a bunch of rural chinese villagers

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

So where did it land OP? Oh, I see, right in your rear end in a top hat it looks like.

Yeah, we all died ten days ago. But it did hit us all right in the balls though, so pro's and con's and all that.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Chinatown posted:

Ow! My BALLS sequel looking good.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Probably kill less people than the Iraq War :smug:

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Probably kill less wildlife than Elons rocket :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee