Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I need reassurance/correction re: how to rehome newts from my outside pond.

I am selling my house, and my buyers have indicated to me that they do not want to continue to maintain the pond in the garden. I have given away the fish that were in the pond to neighbours who also have ponds. In order to facilitate the removal of the fish, I drained most of the water out of the pond. Having done this, I became aware that there were quite a few newts living in there - something I had no idea about before.

I have so far been transferring them to a pond in Rivelin Valley, which is a mile or thereabouts from my house. The destination pond is a large, shallow pond near to the river. I think it may connect to the river when the water level is very high. I released them into the pond rather than the river because it's my understanding that they prefer to live in ponds and not in rivers.

Is this the correct thing to do, or would some other approach be better? I don't know what kind of newt these are. I will post a photo in my next post. There's no option to attach an image to the op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Image of newts

Only registered members can see post attachments!

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Are you in the UK?

I’d check with your local laws about moving animals like this. I think one species of newt is protected there and one is non-native (non-protected). But, yes, this is the correct thing to do. Newts prefer fishless, non-moving bodies of water. The closer to your house the better since they have a home territory and return to the same ponds year after year.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

newts posted:

Are you in the UK?

I’d check with your local laws about moving animals like this. I think one species of newt is protected there and one is non-native (non-protected). But, yes, this is the correct thing to do. Newts prefer fishless, non-moving bodies of water. The closer to your house the better since they have a home territory and return to the same ponds year after year.

I hope I haven't interfered with their life cycle or anything by moving them. Thing is though, I don't know what my buyers intend to do with the pond after they take ownership. They might decide to demolish it in which case any newts left in there could be out of luck.