Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the game feels broken to the core, like an actual mobile game half-assedly ported to PC

there is nothing positive i can think of to say about it, you can't even step on the mindless NPC soldiers the game throws at you, your mech just phases through them as it slides around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, I've given it a play and it feels earlier than early access, like we're playing a tech demo. The environments look like something a dev would generate to test the gameplay. Awful monetization scheme aside, it just doesn't play satisfyingly right now. Human enemies are no threat and not satisfying to fight, and mechs just walk out of cover at you instead of doing something interesting like hiding behind buildings. Just mind numbing no-tactics stomping and shooting. It shouldn't have launched at all in this state, they're gonna torpedo their reputation imo. OG Hawken was awesome and other than the basic world building this does not capture the vibe enough to resemble its own namesake.

edit: mobile game is right, I'm surprised the option that prompts you to revive for money doesn't have a timer counting down from 10.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 18, 2023

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

they removed the extra fingers but missed the stethoscope and ignored the backwards ipad

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Kotaku AU have an impressions article up where the writer agrees things are really bad. Looks like they played the old Hawken which helps. They shared these screenshots, one from the OG in 2016 and one from the game now and it's pretty striking:

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2023/05/that-new-hawken-game-sucks/

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

i fuckin loved hawken and this piece of poo poo is an insult

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I miss dashing around in a reaper and catching people off guard.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mostly played the cloaking one, whatever it was called.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

weekend at bernie'sing the corpse of a fondly-remembered game from last decade, what a shame

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Wheeee posted:

they removed the extra fingers but missed the stethoscope and ignored the backwards ipad
Listen, Dollarstore Scarlett Johanson is holding a fancy modern see-through iPad there, it's futuristic ok.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If they last until October, this could become a Spirit Halloween joint

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Played for 30 to 45 last night, just the first two missions. For one, it commits the cardinal sin of launching straight into the game without giving me an options menu first. Second, the menu in game is astoundingly bad and doesn't have mouse support. Or kind of UI support...

It launched into a cutscene that it just dropped mid sentence without me hitting anything either. But based off my less than an hour experience I am really tempted to uninstall and come back in 6 to 12 months. It just felt bad to play and I don't know if maybe that was just tutorial issues like a billion other games have or not.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

There is mouse support in the menus, just not in the tutorial for some goddamn reason.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Really sounds like this was or is meant to be a mobile game.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Popete posted:

Really sounds like this was or is meant to be a mobile game.

Yeah, the main menu really gives that feeling more than anything else.

I played on my deck last night just to start it up and give it a go. Bizarrely, it selected mouse and keyboard emulation as the go-to control scheme and insane sensitivity, so I spent several minutes unable to look where I really wanted to. Once I switched to gamepad, it went smoother, but just didn't feel right.

I hope they manage to right the ship, but it's going to be rough going for a while.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Why did the game fail the first time? I always hear nothing but positive things.

The actual game was great but the menus (including customization) were clunky and very clearly trying to get you to buy poo poo all the time. It also came out during a glut of F2P team games so I think most people just bounced off the grindy unlock system.

Its going to fail the second time by being garbage, by the looks of it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Also one of the major marketing points for the original Hawken was how well it performed for its graphical fidelity, since most of the architecture and mechs were made by scaling and positioning a small pool of models that had some sort of code voodoo to reduce the computation footprint of duplicates.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Got that handy? Sounds like an interesting watch regardless of this release's quality.

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

Gotta love a roadmap that includes "Core Gameplay" as a to-be-added feature

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Got that handy? Sounds like an interesting watch regardless of this release's quality.
Unfortunately not, they only emphasized it during development prior to the first closed beta (which had stellar performance on my lovely GPU, to their credit) then pivoted to mostly talking about cosmetics and game updates once it was finally monetized. I cant even find articles talking about it anymore.

e: Found a few articles touching on it, and "kitbashing" was the term they used. Basically their entire artstyle was based on assembling components into models, with Akira Toriyama being the biggest inspiration.

e2: Thank god for distinct keywords. Here's an article: https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna43168348

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 18, 2023

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Thanks for the link! Not the site I would have expected it from either.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Shrug. The game's not terrible but it's not very interesting either. It's barely a game and more of a trial or proof of concept than anything, but I had fun for a couple hours bouncing around. You can dash and immediately jump and then bunnyhop to maintain momentum and retain your stop speed indefinitely so getting around is maybe the most satisfying thing right now, and that's probably not the way it's intended to work. There's just not much to do.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

novaSphere posted:

Shrug. The game's not terrible but it's not very interesting either. It's barely a game and more of a trial or proof of concept than anything, but I had fun for a couple hours bouncing around. You can dash and immediately jump and then bunnyhop to maintain momentum and retain your stop speed indefinitely so getting around is maybe the most satisfying thing right now, and that's probably not the way it's intended to work. There's just not much to do.

It is a degradation of concept. The proof of concept was released over a decade ago and kicked rear end.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Eh. The original looked great but that's about it. It was otherwise also a bare-bones game that couldn't decide what kind of game it wanted to be and who its audience was. I played it since the closed alpha and I followed it a long time. It's...just okay.

Reborn at least runs well and remained stable with few bugs and no blockers for the 5 hours I played, but I blew past the campaign and already started getting repeating missions in patrol mode. It's obviously in very rough shape and probably a mistake to try to bank on nostalgia and then release it in this state, but at face value I've seen and played worse.

That said, I probably won't reinstall and fire it back up for at least a year, if it even makes it that far.

Orv
May 4, 2011

novaSphere posted:

Eh. The original looked great but that's about it. It was otherwise also a bare-bones game that couldn't decide what kind of game it wanted to be and who its audience was. I played it since the closed alpha and I followed it a long time. It's...just okay.

Reborn at least runs well and remained stable with few bugs and no blockers for the 5 hours I played, but I blew past the campaign and already started getting repeating missions in patrol mode. It's obviously in very rough shape and probably a mistake to try to bank on nostalgia and then release it in this state, but at face value I've seen and played worse.

That said, I probably won't reinstall and fire it back up for at least a year, if it even makes it that far.

This feels, not to be argumentative necessarily, somewhat revisionist. Hawken was a shooter with an exceptional feel to it, every mech felt different, every weapon hit good and sounded great. The maps looked incredible for the time if pretty one note. It didn’t really have anything going on beyond being a great feeling arena shooter and the UX was Not Good but it felt amazing to play.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

you're engaging with someone who played through the terrible AI art 'campaign' currently available and thinks the game plays well compared to the original; it looks and feels like a mobile game, the movement and shooting are some of the worst i've ever seen in a PC game

they're either trolling or incredibly stupid

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Was it worth my time? Debatable. Do I regret downloading it and playing it for a few hours during lunch and after work? Absolutely not. I'm dumb as gently caress but you don't have to attack me for not spouting vitriol over a video game

Edit: mind, I did like the original for its atmosphere and immersion and I preferred the more sim-like elements with the long TTKs and diagetic UI over what it eventually became, for what it's worth. I also just know the game was kinda Just Okay overall and the hard scifi/kitbashed mech aesthetic didn't really resonate.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

gently caress I missed Hawken, I tried playing it last month and had no idea this was coming out. Sucks to hear it's pretty much assballs rn, I'll still try it probably. Wish I could keep my progress from before wrt rank/cosmetics. Oh well.

E: I forgot all about the hawakening project, I may just play that instead. Ain't no way I'm missing out on playing with my bae: vanguard.

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 13, 2023