Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
We all know and love the little South American choose-your-own-adventure that is Peru, but not a lot of people know that there almost was no 'Peru'!

When they were voting on what the name of this fair land was going to be, 'Permecken' was actually leading in most of the rounds of voting up until the very end. On the final ballot, with Permecken holding steady at about 40% of the vote, the faction that wanted to call it 'Trent's Place' saw that there was no hope for victory and accepted some concessions to support the ultimate winner, Peru.

What do you think would have happened if things had played out differently? Would 'Permecken' have enjoyed the same success that Peru does today?

Please provide citations for your answers wherever possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i don't care about the op but tangentially here were some frontrunners for the proposed canadian flag in 1963 when we adopted our current one:

also "Canada" was never a sure bet either. some potential alternatives included:

efisga =- (acronym for english, french, irish, scottish, german, aboriginal)
anglia
tupona - "the united provinces of north america"
mesopelagia
hochelaga

and a whole bunch of other styuipid poo poo i'm not remembering lmao

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I wouldn’t have had to waste 15 seconds reading this thread.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Peru, the home of Lake Titicaca.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

You Are A Elf posted:

Permecken, the home of Lake Boobypoopoo.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i don't care about the op but tangentially here were some frontrunners for the proposed canadian flag in 1963 when we adopted our current one:

also "Canada" was never a sure bet either. some potential alternatives included:

anglia
mesopelagia
hochelaga

the triple leaf one is pretty good

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

anglia
mesopelagia
hochelaga

I love all of those names except anglia. I wish I lived in mesopelagia :mad:

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

permeckin pupperino

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

how about you “Peru”se my balls op

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Yeah mesopelagia owns

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
That would have somehow made Paddington even more racist

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Larry Cum Free posted:

We all know and love the little South American choose-your-own-adventure that is Peru, but not a lot of people know that there almost was no 'Peru'!

When they were voting on what the name of this fair land was going to be, 'Permecken' was actually leading in most of the rounds of voting up until the very end. On the final ballot, with Permecken holding steady at about 40% of the vote, the faction that wanted to call it 'Trent's Place' saw that there was no hope for victory and accepted some concessions to support the ultimate winner, Peru.

Yet more AI-generated bullshit polluting the forums.

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

If you or a loved one have been diagnosed with mesopelagia, you may qualify for a big cash settlement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Bad Purchase posted:

how about you “Peru”se my balls op

nice