Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Where's my goddamn tank bugs

I havent played since the last few updates but a new map is worth doing my part again and to see if/how they ruined my grenade launcher baby this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Did I forget this game has no vsync or did it get removed at some point?

Edit: Had to force it via nvidia

New map is fun but there is a gnarly bug right now that can happen in any game where you respawn at base and basically get softlocked into some state where you can't act or see anything. Happens a lot during AAS base defenses, and the only solution is rejoining.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 9, 2023

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Tripleposting to share my thoughts on the 0.6 update

* Bastion's ability cooldown being reduced to 10s is great, makes him feel much more mobile and less punished for moving with the team. Its a lot easier to leapfrog and provide cover fire now.
* New map is gorgeous, but also hell on frames for some reason.
* If you're not a hunter you best learn where the bridges are because you are not crossing that lava river and it is way wider than it looks.
* Inferno bugs (fire MIRV version of grenadiers) are interesting conceptually but seem hideously broken right now. They spawn at least twice as much as grenadiers, the hit detection on the fire projectiles (in ground and in the air) is off so you will often take fire damage for no visible reason. Fire landing on roofs of bunkers will also burn people inside, and you continue to take fire damage for a while after leaving areas, making it hard to determine when you've actually legit left a fire area.
* There is a literal gamebreaking respawn bug on the new map. There's several spots where if you have to respawn at a specific bunker you will instead spawn inside geometry and be unable to do anything except die over and over. Only solution is secondary respawn location if available, or quitting out.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Myself and four friends played for about an hour Saturday, but one of was having like 15 fps the whole time, and I got hit by the respawn bug almost immediately and the second match we tried wasn't any better so we quit and played some Supreme Commander mods instead. I don't feel like I played long enough to form any real opinion. I'll check in next patch I guess.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I played a few hours this weekend after skipping the last major patch. AAS and ARC defense were both fun on the fire maps despite some of the fire grenadier/burning building issues mentioned above.

Didn't encounter any griefing, just the usual movie quoting with mostly veteran players on to try the new patch.

Grenade launcher was feeling good on normal difficulty. Support shotgun feels like a straight downgrade, though perhaps it's got more utility at higher difficulties.

Still haven't tried the new game modes. Don't really feel like solo queuing for the 4 person missions.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Slyphic posted:

Myself and four friends played for about an hour Saturday, but one of was having like 15 fps the whole time, and I got hit by the respawn bug almost immediately and the second match we tried wasn't any better so we quit and played some Supreme Commander mods instead. I don't feel like I played long enough to form any real opinion. I'll check in next patch I guess.

The new fire map in particular is absolutely brutal for framerates. I have a pretty beefy setup and I never dip in frames on Valaka, but that new map regularly drops me into low 10s fps.

Also always good to see more people still clinging to supcom. Here's hoping the next "spiritual successor" is actually good this time

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
No noticeable drop in frames for me on the new map, but I'm running a brand new PC with a 4070 so :shrug:

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

My rig is 4 years old (Ryzen 5 3600, GTX 1660S), the guy that was struggling to even run the map had a graphics card from 2017 (RX 550) in a circa 2020 budget build PC. One of us had a spare RX 6500XT that is currently headed to him in the mail.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Velaka had mostly stabilized for my ancient rig but Agni Prime was unplayable.

Oh, and it came up from the Devs through the Discord but there's a class progression reset in the works too.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

There's also double XP until Jan. 3.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Honestly the new bugs (game bugs) are making it very hard to keep playing even casually. Get joined into wrong gamemode/difficulty, getting joined into a broken game (respawn bug), getting joined into a game with battle music at ear-shattering volume 24/7 over everything else regardless of audio settings, finally getting into a good game and then getting respawn-bug-softlocked, etc.

Its a shame because I still enjoy the basic gameplay loop, especially for AAS.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Current gamemodes aren't super well balanced. The inferno bug is basically near impossible to destroy in vet horde mode. It may be fine in other modes where you can get a grenade launcher close but in vet horde you're pretty reliant on sniper rifles to pick off the specials and can't venture far from cover.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Yeah infernos spawn way too often. They need the same amount of RPG / nade hits as a grenadier but seem to spawn at least twice as much and are arguably much more destructive. During an AAS Vet defense with no modifiers we had setup on top of a high peak, me and another hunter, both with RPGs, and it was literally non-stop focusing down infernos and still lagging behind in removing them all despite having clear RPG shots to all of them.

Edit:

Too many infernos!

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 14, 2023

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Friend got his new card in, we loaded up for another foray, played one each of AAS/Horde/ARC on Agni, and I think that's all we're going to play of SST:E for a while. The spawn bug is just miserable. Flame area damage is also just obnoxious, it's so hard to tell what flames will hurt you vs cosmetic or friendly fire, and just taking directionless damage feels bad. It's also really terrible for visibility.

Also, new anti-griefing system is a total loving joke, our Horde game was totally hosed by this one guy, 'Hobbes', alternating between building things in the dumbest places, unbuilding important stuff, and spamming bunkers turned the wrong way around and we still can't do gently caress all about it.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Fire bugs are such bullshit, especially during limited visibility modifiers. This is from an AAS game on Veteran. Just spawning in to instantly burn to death and no way to kill the 7 or so fire bugs shooting at the bunker. Even being inside the bunker itself is death. I wish I could say that the fire bugs at least killed their own too but when there is that much fire around it doesn't matter.

I really like this game but not when poo poo like that happens. I really wish they would have nerfed fire bugs before they went on Christmas vacation, or at the very least take them out until they can be retuned.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Devs are aiming for 3rd week of jan for a 0.6.1 bugfix patch that should hopefully at least fix the respawn issues.

Despite the myriad of issues I still made it to rank 100 before the end of the year, I just can't stop shootin' bugs. Also, bastion with 2 turrets and 2 heal beacons is straight up busted with an autoshotgun.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

The devs also mentioned a class reset is coming since they are scrapping the 3 classes and introducing 6 instead.

Only class progression, career progression shouldn't be touched and they mentioned double xp events after the reset.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

New Update is coming out tomorrow:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1268750/view/4191236493821515499

I still haven't touched this game in a while... partially because I've been super busy but also because when I have free time I might as well throw it as Helldivers 2. Anyhow, new classes, etc.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

BeAuMaN posted:

New Update is coming out tomorrow:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1268750/view/4191236493821515499

I still haven't touched this game in a while... partially because I've been super busy but also because when I have free time I might as well throw it as Helldivers 2. Anyhow, new classes, etc.

Didn't realize that was tomorrow. But yeah, there is a ton of new poo poo.

The things that really caught my attention were the new side objectives that give you AI teammates, and the team starts with a limited number of spawns that get replenished when side objectives are completed.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

limp_cheese posted:

Didn't realize that was tomorrow. But yeah, there is a ton of new poo poo.

The things that really caught my attention were the new side objectives that give you AI teammates, and the team starts with a limited number of spawns that get replenished when side objectives are completed.

It's because they only announced it today.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

McTimmy posted:

It's because they only announced it today.

They've got a discord they're (way too) active in posting updates on. It's been announced for awhile, on there at least.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

They've got a discord they're (way too) active in posting updates on. It's been announced for awhile, on there at least.

Well that would have been helpful to know hm.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

After playing for a bit I want to emphatically say gently caress the new enemy. I can't even say for sure I've seen one but they love killing me. I'll hear their scream or whatever, look around, and just explode. It just sucks.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

limp_cheese posted:

After playing for a bit I want to emphatically say gently caress the new enemy. I can't even say for sure I've seen one but they love killing me. I'll hear their scream or whatever, look around, and just explode. It just sucks.

This.

Even if you know their stuka-bomber-like spawn sounds, they're superfast, brown/purple so unless you got scanners you're likely to miss em, and theres so much bug screamin and beepin going on these days its easy to miss.

0.7 has some good stuff but good lord there is still a lot of jank and the Engineer class is basically not playable right now because his primary ability and the one unique weapon he gets are both busted.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I was trying to think of how to make this more fun overall while playing the Starship Troopers RTS game the other day, since some of that game effectively is the same as this one. Imo a lot of the issues right now come down to needing to build a huge base with walls that are inevitably going to fall. There is no real defense so much as trying to maximize the fallback defense once walls start dropping. A large part of the issue there is that bugs come in from everywhere, at all times, so you have to spread everyone out and plink away at them til they finally all die due to being shot while chewing on your core.

If I look at the RTS a lot of the strategy for that kind of thing just comes down to defense in depth outside of walls stacked 40 high. You have screening defenses located outside of the base that greatly thin out the numbers and then pull back. If the enemy makes it to the base untouched you're hosed, but if you can wear them down then it works way better. It would be great to have outposts or even just scattered allies that could wear down the hordes, but you can't. Again, the enemy comes from every direction and spawns close to the base, so there is no "firing into the swarm". You're just doing the same thing you would be doing on the wall, just in a more vulnerable position. Imo instead of spawning 40 bugs 50 feet from your base you instead make two distinct groups of 100 bugs and make them walk a while to get to the walls. It encourages people to meet the bugs, it clearly directs people where to fight, and you're not just waiting to die when the wave timer goes off.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I can't for the life of me figure out what game the devs here want to make, because they seem to be ignoring the biggest problems and focusing on the least interesting new features. More and more the fun I had the first few months feels like a fluke, as every time I try out a new update it feels less interesting.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I think it's telling that they have put in entirely new game modes and overhauled the class system but AFAIK the part of the game you do the most, ie shooting, still doesn't have a weak point system.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

CuddleCryptid posted:

I think it's telling that they have put in entirely new game modes and overhauled the class system but AFAIK the part of the game you do the most, ie shooting, still doesn't have a weak point system.

Holy poo poo really?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Slyphic posted:

More and more the fun I had the first few months feels like a fluke, as every time I try out a new update it feels less interesting.

I still haven't gone back to play it (Right now I'm playing maybe 2 - 4 hours a week or less of video games; life is crazy), but all the way through that was my exact feeling. It's like they were making the game less fun. I think stuff needed to be rebalanced from the first month or so, but also everything should be focused on feeling fun and dynamically creating those cinematic moments. And yeah the 4-player game mode was a bad choice and I called it early on that there was no reason to pursue a 4-player mode when Helldivers 2 was going to come out. I hope my life gets a bit less crazy and I'll take another swing at this game but I also hope the devs focus on creating the madcap experience of 16 players running around doing objectives and getting swarmed with bugs, and especially rescuing them during the exfil.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

BeAuMaN posted:

hope my life gets a bit less crazy and I'll take another swing at this game but I also hope the devs focus on creating the madcap experience of 16 players running around doing objectives and getting swarmed with bugs, and especially rescuing them during the exfil.

AAS mode is pretty much exactly this, and the latest update does seem to have made actual cooperation against stupid odds more of a thing on the Hard difficulty. But there is far too many bugs still to make it truly enjoyable. I have my fun with it still but I can tolerate a lot of early access jank

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

CuddleCryptid posted:

It doesn't, but they did significantly weaken the bugs. Inferno bug is now much more killable with bullets, and tiger is a lot weaker, even in hard modes.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

It doesn't, but they did significantly weaken the bugs. Inferno bug is now much more killable with bullets, and tiger is a lot weaker, even in hard modes.

Sure, but it's still a mindless bullet sponge damage model. They focused a ton on all kinds of weird poo poo while leaving key parts of a modern shooter out.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Especially when shooting the weakpoint and the fact that bugs are still very much a threat with their legs blown off is kind of a whole Thing in the setting they're doing. Helldivers bugs do this very well - you can blow off their head and they'll still keep attacking until they bleed out. Shoot out some legs on a medium bug and they'll still try to crawl towards you to take swipes.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

tiger didnt even need to be made easier imo but that fire bug sounded like hell hahahah

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

cumpantry posted:

tiger didnt even need to be made easier imo but that fire bug sounded like hell hahahah

The inferno bug was stupidly designed. It had a shitton of frontal armor and a not-weakspot at the back, meaning it took like 3 full mags of Morita-XXX sniper rifle fire, or 2-4 rockets/grenades from the front. I guess the idea was that you had to get good positioning, but they have/had the same range as grenadiers so they could sit 2 mountain ranges away. As a bonus, they can scoot backwards faster than you can sprint, and if they want to, they can just burrow and gently caress off to pop up somewhere else . And then you get multiples of those fuckers.

Then on top of that fire is/was incredibly bugged in that it permeates bunkers turning them into deathtraps rather than safe havens, going as far as being able to softlock games once one or two had started bombing a spawn point since there was also a bug that their fire projectiels would make you spawn inside them - making you blind, immobile, and just dyin' over and over with no recourse other than removing the Inferno bugs that are causing it.

They wern't much fun.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Yeah, their new bug types don't give me much confidence in their abilities. Inferno bugs were just dumb and still are even though its a little better, and the baneling or whatever is also just awful. They are so small and cause so much damage. They are basically anti-defender/bastion but that class was never broken to begin with.

I'll also admit this game desperately needs weak points and/or the ability to blow off bug limbs.

I still like this game and the feeling of defending a base against a carpet of bugs is always great and something other games haven't managed to hit for me. Other games do do hordes well, but having 16 people on a team is what makes it feel good.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

limp_cheese posted:

Other games do do hordes well, but having 16 people on a team all reminding you that they are doing their part is what makes it feel good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

All that being said though, when the right mutators come up this game feels right. Any game with "We Got bugs!" and any "Ambush" ends up being a proper bug grind. Took us 8 minutes just to cap the very first point because of the sheer endless number of bugs

https://i.imgur.com/dQwSJJz.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JD_VH2AXyc

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 28, 2024