Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019
So if y'all don't mind, I'd like a sounding board for a possible summer project:

I have a possible line on a Porsche 914 that I'd like an opinion on as a donor car for an EV conversion. I have a couple students who didn't get internships and are looking to help out part time on a resume booster, and I figure with no other major plans besides a late summer trip to do stuff for an old colleague on isotopic separation nerd poo poo, I have a reasonable amount of time to work on a conversion, say about 30-40 hours a week. I have access to a lift, a maker space's fab shop, possibly a machine shop with a dedicated general machinist, but I'll probably need to bribe the good man with more beer and brisket for anything other than a friendly bah humbug.

Students I have are a couple of rising juinor/senior EEs and MEs who I've taught and were interested in helping out. One ME is a nontraditional student and a former/current car mechanic.

Now the car in question it was a donated Porsche 914 that a former student club tried to convert a good decade or so ago, and they got it into the parts/planning stage, stripped down the car, went partway through with it, and then the driving student graduated and without their force of personality keeping the group together, it somewhat dissolved. It's been sitting under a tarp for several years, and is in definite need of TLC, but there is a serious difference between needing some TLC and a major overhaul for proper safety.

So let's start.

Nothing obviously wrong?

Sure all the rubber needs to be replaced, but it's 50ish years old.

Interior is a bit rough, driver's side door doesn't open without jimmying the door/doing the window trick. No biggie, since the keys were lost/broken years ago.

Doesn't seem too bad?

Would probably require some TLC here, since it looks like they cut a hole in the unibody for shits, giggles, and SLS batteries

Seems better than what I'd expect? Good? bad?

The previous attempt for fabbing in a cross-member to hold an electric motor. a bit rusty?

Would that qualify as a minor 'hellhole' fix?

Not 100% sure I'd keep the transmission, it wildly depends on if we go with a DC motor I have handy or nab a 160kw Nissan leaf motor (I figure there isn't enough tire for anything more)

Frunk looks alright? Maybe A bit of rust to fix up.

So thoughts? Opinions? Places where I should take more photos? I'll be heading over there tomorrow to look for a motor controller that might be in storage, but I can very easily swing by for taking some more photos on things that y'all would like a closer look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015
This conversion can be done really well. You've probably seen examples like this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfPelgfEjpo

I'm a bit concerned about the way the car's been hacked. Especially the deal with the door not opening. If this poor thing is actually sagging, I don't know what it takes to resolve that. Stiffening it with a cradle like the one in the link above might be a big help.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

HawkHill posted:

This conversion can be done really well. You've probably seen examples like this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfPelgfEjpo

I'm a bit concerned about the way the car's been hacked. Especially the deal with the door not opening. If this poor thing is actually sagging, I don't know what it takes to resolve that. Stiffening it with a cradle like the one in the link above might be a big help.

Oh, the door opens just fine from the inside, it's an issue with the latch from the outside. I'll look at the stiffening work, I was planning on using a chassis stiffening kit and a cradle for a EM57 motor.

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015
Glad to hear that. I got the wrong idea when I read your first post.

Should be a fun project.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
It's the only way you can make a 914 fun. No more VW bus motor

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

sharkytm posted:

It's the only way you can make a 914 fun. No more VW bus motor

Sharky is right.

EV57 will be right at home in that platform. Don't feel bad about cutting holes, welding up braces, and throwing the antique gearbox over a fence for pizza money.

This rules.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
So the car seems to have only small rust, repairs from a previous accident, not a valuable model and nothing seemingly glaringly awful? Good target for a project like that. You could keep the transmission for ease or rear subframe construction so basically a place to hang the diff and also not needing a new final drive.

However using the whole Tesla unit (as an example) means you have a assembly that can handle the torque, so you need to make a rear subframe and probably suspension but again not an unstoppable issue.

Post progress if you go ahead :)

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

So the car seems to have only small rust, repairs from a previous accident, not a valuable model and nothing seemingly glaringly awful? Good target for a project like that. You could keep the transmission for ease or rear subframe construction so basically a place to hang the diff and also not needing a new final drive.

However using the whole Tesla unit (as an example) means you have a assembly that can handle the torque, so you need to make a rear subframe and probably suspension but again not an unstoppable issue.

Post progress if you go ahead :)

I was thinking that the em57 with 160 HP would be enough for this beastie, if only because I would fear for my life if I took it out on a SDU. As it stands, I've got a meeting with the dean next week to convince him to sign it over to me for scrap value so I can turn around and use it for a conversion to teach students about EVs the fun way, by loving it up repeatedly until the drat thing starts moving.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

cursedshitbox posted:

Sharky is right.

EV57 will be right at home in that platform. Don't feel bad about cutting holes, welding up braces, and throwing the antique gearbox over a fence for pizza money.

This rules.

Gotta find something dumb to do now that the EV motorcycle project is winding down.

Also might just go dumb and easy and just cram an ADC9 forklift motor to get 100hp out it. DC motors are notoriously tough compared to AC and a motor rated for 72V can be 144-160v all day. Just gotta find a motor controller that can pump it into the motor. Might have one in a retiring colleague's junk pile.

Joey Steel fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 24, 2023

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019
Lol, the Dean said "no" to my face and then when I emailed her asking if I could just use the garage space to work with the students said she's now double checking with people and that maybe there is a "yes" to the Porsche. If not, we are thinking of doing a jaguar XJ6, since the major parts wrong with it are the engine, fuel tank, and other assorted things that don't matter when we do an EV conversion. the Mech E department head is offering his 3d scanner and software so we can do fun stuff like cad planning.

Hate to sound like an anime character, but apparently determination gets you help.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

The interesting thing is that there's a company that already makes full drop-in kits for that car, my question to you is how much of the wheel do you want to re-invent or would it be just as edifying/educational to build something that is guaranteed to work?

https://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=223&osCsid=fbc144sh4jrvgfs2uv336t5sp5

I was thinking maybe they'd cut you a deal as an educator but it looks like they already go the opposite way and soak you for a hunk of that sweet guaranteed student loan money:

https://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=550&osCsid=fbc144sh4jrvgfs2uv336t5sp5

I wish I was into air cooled vws so I could do one of these.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019
Nah, gently caress that. More fun and educational to take a motor and download some hacks for taking over the motor like some kind of fungus that takes over ant brains and stuff.

Besides, those kits are *wildly* overpriced for what they do. I got similar parts for doing much the same (With more power, thank you) AND a 48kwh battery pack for about the same price.

Just checked the cart link: Hahaha, hoooly poo poo is that cart wildly overpriced.

Not trying to bag on you! I just think I have a good plan already. There is a distinct chance we might have an 85 Jaguar XJ6 as our 'plan b' since it's a nice car and most of the problems with that platform is that the engine sucks, along with literally everything else on the powertrain, which we were going to yeet anyway.

Joey Steel fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 28, 2023

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

No worries I was just checking your vibe for curiosity's sake.

And yeah I kind of lost respect for them with that cart, that's one where the engineering dept just fills out the requisition without any research and the EV west guys go to Cabo twice in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019
Gonna close this and make an OP for the Jaaaagg I got.