Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Problem description: Fairly infrequently (generally a few minutes after startup, and again on occasion thereafter), my PC disconnects itself from the Wi-Fi, interrupting whatever Youtube video I was watching etc. According to the little WiFi symbol in the task bar, I am still connected to my home network, but there is no internet connection. It does not return until I manually disconnect and reconnect to the same network, or run Windows Network Diagnostics, which generally says something like: "The default gateway is not available", or that it reset the WiFi Adapter.

I'm confident that this is a problem with the PC specifically, and not with the Wi-Fi in general, as none of my other devices (phone, tablet) have experienced any drop in connection.

Sometimes, a WiFi drop is shortly followed by or leads directly into a bluescreen, generally with an error of KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (though occasionally with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL). Even if it doesn't crash, it sometimes hangs for a second before/during a drop.

Attempted fixes: What have you tried to do to resolve the problem?
I've set the home network to "Private".
I've tried forgetting and re-adding my home network.
I've set the power management for the WiFi adapter to not allow the computer to turn it off.
I've updated the drivers for the wireless adapter - Windows reckons it's using the most up-to-date.

https://techgenix.com/kernel-security-check/
Ran mdsched, found no memory problems.
Ran sfc/scannow, found no integrity violations.
Ran Driver Verifier tool. On top of not finding anything or fixing the connectivity problem it also slowed my computer to a crawl (even mouse movement was jagged and poorly responsive). Turned it off again, which fixed the slowdown.
chkdsk /f c: Restarted machine, no errors found.

Recent changes: I did install a new 2TB SSD for a Christmas gift (in addition to the existing, not as a replacement), but the Wi-Fi disconnect issues have been happening before this change.

--

Operating system: Windows 10, 64-bit.

System specs: Alienware Area 51, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, Intel Core i7-5930K CPU @3.5GHz, 16GB RAM. 2x monitors, both 1920x1080, 60Hz. 128GB SSD (C drive, contains operating system), 2TB Hard Disk, (D drive, contains Steam and associated games), 2TB SSD (H drive, contains ungodly mod install for Skyrim).
Purchased Dec 2014, so not exactly new.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I'd try using a USB wifi adapter. You can get them for under 10 bucks off Amazon.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly

Schweinhund posted:

I'd try using a USB wifi adapter. You can get them for under 10 bucks off Amazon.

Worth a shot. I'll order one, see if going through a different adapter fixes things.

EDIT: Well, things haven't broken since then. Hard to say if this has fully fixed things, but this is certainly better. Thanks for the suggestion!

The_Final_Stand fucked around with this message at 10:50 on May 23, 2023