Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

in 2021 i made a post about my pee paws amazing painting and asked my best friends (posters on the something awful forums) to photoshop it. this one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3979164&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

well i was at the bar drinking my 3rd artisanal applebees wacky berry daiquiri blast™️, when i started thinkin about my pee paw and how he flew a bomber in ww2. he blew up nazis so that i could sit in this harshly lit family establishment and drink myself into my grave. i nearly teared up. one other thing i had inherited from him after his death besides the worlds most erotic painting (see the link above) was his wedding ring. my family realized i was getting hitched in the near future, and they know i have a love of history, so the gold ring was mine. all joking aside, it means a lot to me.

well like i was saying, at the bar i started thinking about the ring i was wearing. pee paws ring. was he wearing it when he flew all those missions and blew up all those european fascists? i had to find out. i paid my very reasonably priced tab, and headed home to do some research.

my grandparents were married in march of 1944. now, according to wikipedia and also thousands of personal accounts and thousands of books and evidence of the events themselves, the european theater part of ww2 lasted from 1939-1945. on paper that seems like a narrow window for pee paw to be wearing the ring and also exploding nazis. i have evidence that shows he probably was wearing it. evidence that was given to me after pee paw retired to the big bowling alley in the sky (he liked bowling which i forgot to mention).

here is a log of all of his missions. its pretty neat that i have this old document.

so as you can see. it seems ol pee paw was wearing the ring during all of his missions. and a closer look shows he was there on d-day, and some internet research said his group was bombing v1 and v2 rocket sites that day. pretty cool. so its all but confirmed. pee paw exploded fuckin nazis while wearing this ring. pretty wild.

just for fun, here is a photo of pee paw himself. he is the tallest guy standing up.

not sure what year this was and he was a cadet for a year before he got married, but you can clearly see his left hand. i have enhanced this image using cutting edge supercomputers and it is just too blurry to tell if his is wearing the ring (and please dont make “no ring” goat man jokes. im fragile emotionally and physically and ill cry if you speak ill of pee paw. tia).

well thats the story. ive also got a bunch of his old documents if anyone is interested in seeing more.

Hackers film 1995 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

A cool pee paw. My grandfather was a tail gunner on a B-25 Mitchell in the pacific during WWII.

I don’t see a ring on his left hand in the picture, though. Maybe he wasn’t wearing it on his hand because jewelry (especially rings) are risky for injury during flight/combat? He could have it in his pocket or somewhere safe.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

You Are A Elf posted:

A cool pee paw. My grandfather was a tail gunner on a B-25 Mitchell in the pacific during WWII.

I don’t see a ring on his left hand in the picture, though. Maybe he wasn’t wearing it on his hand because jewelry (especially rings) are risky for injury during flight/combat? He could have it I. His pocket or somewhere safe.

hell yeah. war granpaps

oh man i hope thats not true. if the ring was not in the air with him then thats a bummer. i would just pawn my wedding ring because its not as cool.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

He could have had it in his pocket or (and this is morbid, but makes sense) my dad, who was the crew chief of a C-135 during Vietnam told me he would keep his dog tags in his boot so that if anything were to ever happen in which search and recovery would need to identify a body, the feet, especially inside of combat boots are usually unscathed.

Luckily it never came to that with my dad, but don’t give up hope that your pee paw didn’t have his ring with him :)

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Your peepaw served with Jean-Claude vandamm and I respect that.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

yeah its cool they let him serve in the us army despite being belgian and also negative years old

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i called mine pampaw

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

lol that one dude DOES look like old JCVD

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
i salute your grampa and all the grampas that blowed up nazis

my own grampa was in the navy and got his shellback cert while serving on the uss racoon and the longitude is blank because "on a mission of war"

also my uncle marvin got a bronze star for killing nazis in belgium and i'm mighty proud of him too

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

OP I thought this was some sort of furry piss thread but glad it wasn't. i missed the photoshop thread the first time round and enjoying it now. thanks!

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

hemale in pain posted:

OP I thought this was some sort of furry piss thread but glad it wasn't. i missed the photoshop thread the first time round and enjoying it now. thanks!

well i dont know much about marketing and i wanted people to read it. im glad you didnt actually want a furry thread. id hate to mislead anyone.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

iirc one of my grandpas worked security at one of the Manhattan Project sites during the war; the other was a shade young to see any real combat, but he was called up to protect the postwar peace in "loving Newfoundland" (his words)

bless your grandpa for stepping up to tidy the world of fash in such a direct and productive way :)

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
I looked up my papa (he was a navigator on a b-17) and he flew nine missions before getting shot down by the Nazis and spending the rest of the war in a POW camp. He never said a thing about it except once where he told me about being forced marched from one prison to another and a guy pretending to be injured so other guys would carry him then popping up and walking just fine. Oh and Patton rode in on a white horse when he liberated him.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
My grandpa was a navy cook but the war ended like 2 weeks before he shipped out so he didn't kill any Nazis or even feed any guys who killed Nazis but that is fine.

My fun story about that is my mom told me that when she was growing up all of their silverware was stamped with USN and she always thought it was just a brand until she got older and realized actually dad just stole it all from his time in the service lol

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Nooner posted:

My grandpa was a navy cook but the war ended like 2 weeks before he shipped out so he didn't kill any Nazis or even feed any guys who killed Nazis but that is fine.

My fun story about that is my mom told me that when she was growing up all of their silverware was stamped with USN and she always thought it was just a brand until she got older and realized actually dad just stole it all from his time in the service lol

lol at the silverware. i saw a documentary about a navy cook who stopped a terror attack. i think it was called under siege

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

My grandfather lucked out and got his WW2 victory medal for occupying Japan. Then stayed in the reserves like a sucker and got thrown into the Pusan Perimeter.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I saw a movie about your dad called 1917

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
i want to see pee paws plane nose art

i really want it to be the same as the painting

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Hackers film 1995 posted:

here is a log of all of his missions. its pretty neat that i have this old document.

This is just cities and towns of innocent people

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Dumb bitch who can make this sound right can probably "explain" Falujah or some poo poo.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

yeah smh. my pee paw just indiscriminately bombing innocent people. glad germanys surrender ended his reign of terror.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

My dad was a mechanic and an upper turret Gunner on a B-25 during the last months of WWII. He never shot at anyone or had anyone shoot at him, which he was glad for.

Cool pee paw story.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Darth Brooks posted:

My dad was a mechanic and an upper turret Gunner on a B-25 during the last months of WWII. He never shot at anyone or had anyone shoot at him, which he was glad for.

Cool pee paw story.

thats ideal :) what i really liked about pee paw is that he wasnt pro government/military. he didnt celebrate the war or talk about it much. he clearly didnt want to kill anyone. i joke about killing nazis (which is actually good) but he never did. im sure if he heard all of the terrible things i say about the usa everyday he wouldnt be happy but he didn’t have right wing brain worms or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

My dad said that when he went into the war the induction board told him that they were helping to make the world a better place but when he got out in the mid sixties (he had the weird career path of Army Air Corp > Montgomery Ward > Navy > Post office) he didn't feel that was still true. In all honesty, seeing as the alternatives were what Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan were doing to people, what the recruiters said had some merit at the time.

After he retired my dad was given a flag that was to go over his coffin when he died. During Watergate his neighbor asked him why he didn't fly that flag. My dad said that if he did he would fly it at half mast and upside down, which in naval parlance means a ship in distress.