Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

What is this?

Rent-a-Hero is a point-and-click adventure game developed by Neo Software and released in 1998. It's set on the island of Tol Andar in a fantasy world. We play as Rodrigo, a professional "Hero for hire" who is struggling to pay the bills in a very saturated market.

This game was originally released in German in 1998, which makes sense as the developers were based in Austria, but an English version of the game was finished and released in the UK the following year. It was set to be released in the US in 2000 but it was ultimately cancelled. This is a somewhat obscure adventure game but it still scored pretty well with the critics.

LP Details

This will be a VLP and I will be recording commentary live and unscripted. I don't have a schedule, it all depends on when I have free time around work and child care but I will aim to have at least one video up a week.

Let's Play: Rent-a-Hero

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I can't be the only one disappointed when the hero opened his mouth and he wasn't voiced by Bruce Campbell, that chin gave me expectations. :(

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

By popular demand posted:

I can't be the only one disappointed when the hero opened his mouth and he wasn't voiced by Bruce Campbell, that chin gave me expectations. :(

If they went straight to the US market instead of the UK they probably would have used American actors instead.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Rodrigo's adventures takes him underground, through a forest and into a dragon's domain. He also blows Sancho's horn and tries to steal a little girl's toy.

We're about halfway through the game right now. I managed to get a lot done in this update as there really isn't a whole lot to do in this game and it's also extremely linear. There are some very confusing mechanics in this game which you will see in this video, I'm not sure if they're intentional or if they're limitations of the game engine.

The conversations are one of the most confusing aspects of this game as we have to click on a character to hear a new line of dialogue. There have been numerous sound and graphic glitches so far which haven't detracted too much from playing the game. The fast-walking mechanic is weird, it's helpful but it's definitely broken. This was also the first time that an item had just appeared from nowhere in a previously visited location the moment that we actually needed it.

You'll see in this video that I had trouble with triggering a hotspot, I thought that I knew how to get around it as I forgot to click on a hotspot but I had already clicked on it beforehand during the recording. It turns out that all you need to do is just to keep clicking on it, even though you get the same response.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Rodrigo finishes putting together his pirate ensemble, gets black-out drunk and fulfils an obligation that he made.

I was a bit optimistic with my last estimate but we're definitely over the halfway point now. The one thing with games as linear as this is that we can pack a lot of progress in a very short amount of time. I was having a lot of issues with the audio in this game, I had to restart recording this section several times due to the dialogue either skipping or glitching out. This video is a combination of two recording attempts as I eventually gave up on trying to record something all in one go.

This is the 46th LP thread that I've started and so far, this has been the most apathetic response to anything that I've played.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I think this doesn't feel like a bad game to me but it's very seriously missing more than a few somethings. It's a shame because unlike what I'd generally call mediocre games I can see the heart in it and it's trying but it's constantly falling short of the mark.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I think this doesn't feel like a bad game to me but it's very seriously missing more than a few somethings. It's a shame because unlike what I'd generally call mediocre games I can see the heart in it and it's trying but it's constantly falling short of the mark.

I agree with you completely. Even if it did have more polish to it it would still be very firmly set in the mediocre category.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Some building blocks are definitely missing out of the narrative structure, and the non-conversations don't help.
Also that dumb 'he has an attractive wife!' joke wasn't improved by the generic 'unreasonable women' thing.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Rodrigo does so loving much walking back and forth. We enter the mine and spend about fifteen minutes walking around and doing about a dozen necessary actions. I said in this video that it's almost impossible to get lost in this area but I had to restart several times because I was misremembering the optimal sequence and kept doing things out of order. In the end, I had wasted so much time I decided to just keep going despite some small errors.

Despite all of the walking back and forth in the mine and also in the forest, substantial progress is made to trigger new events to push the plot towards its inevitable conclusion. I've included a somewhat hidden scene in this game that may be a little NSFW. It happens at the 21:30 mark and it's not exactly subtle in its approach.

Some building blocks are definitely missing out of the narrative structure, and the non-conversations don't help.
Also that dumb 'he has an attractive wife!' joke wasn't improved by the generic 'unreasonable women' thing.

The developers of this game co-developed several other adventure games so it's not like they didn't have any experience going into this.
It doesn't really matter which country a game comes from, 90s comedy is still going to be 90s comedy. It wasn't right then and still isn't now but it's the kind of humour that was around at the time, unfortunately.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 29, 2023

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I'd argue that this sort of humor was still better executed in most 90's media but never mind, my new favorite thing is The Long Story(tm) and what a missed opportunity it was for a good joke.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Welp, there goes my good will. There's worse ways to throw in a 'romance' interest and/or sex scene but ugh, that was gross.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The long story was very underwhelming, we even sat down to listen to his fifteen second story.

The sex scene was completely unnecessary but not entirely surprising. It could easily have been avoided but then where's the fun in missing out on content, even if it is trash?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I mentioned in your Zak thread how much I hated this game when I played it, and my opinion has not changed. It is such agonizing poo poo.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

gschmidl posted:

I mentioned in your Zak thread how much I hated this game when I played it, and my opinion has not changed. It is such agonizing poo poo.

It's been firmly in the mediocre camp for me with some very sharp dips at times.

The next video will be the last one, I may attempt a recording tomorrow night.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

<Insert Rifftrax crew quote about boring movies>
Actually bad games as in stuff that crashed and burned on entry are so much more interesting than this sort of forgettable.
I have rewatched and reread LPs on the likes of Harvester and Darkseed 2 many times because its clear they had some grand vision they fell short of, this game didn't start from a particularly daring idea and consequently it 'works' but doesn't do anything to stand out from the boring boring crowd.

Kingdom O' Magic wasn't anything to write home about but it at least was strange enough to spark some debate.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

<Insert Rifftrax crew quote about boring movies>
Actually bad games as in stuff that crashed and burned on entry are so much more interesting than this sort of forgettable.
I have rewatched and reread LPs on the likes of Harvester and Darkseed 2 many times because its clear they had some grand vision they fell short of, this game didn't start from a particularly daring idea and consequently it 'works' but doesn't do anything to stand out from the boring boring crowd.

Kingdom O' Magic wasn't anything to write home about but it at least was strange enough to spark some debate.

Kingdom O' Magic definitely falls in the grand vision but falling short. It was original and very ambitious, the execution of it all was more miss than hit though. KOM was an absolute mindfuck at first but I grew to really like it.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
These are my thoughts as well - good games spark debate, bad games spark debate, and unique games spark debate.

This game doesn’t do any of the above; it exists and there’s nothing bad about it, however aside from a gratuitous sex scene and some typical 90s grossness there’s not been much else to say.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

There isn't going to be an update tonight as my kid has decided that she wants to sleep on the sofa tonight and my computer is only a few feet away from it. It's the school holidays here right now so recording isn't my top priority.

I've decided that I'm going to attempt an LP of Mozart - The Last Secret\Mozart: The Conspirators of Prague (Depending on where it was released) which is another obscure adventure game that never had an English release, they completed an English version of the game but they decided not to publish it. Although after a quick search, I've noticed a Mozart Requiem that was released last year, which is the same game but they neglected to tell people on the store page that it's a revamp and not a good one at that. I've also read that many of the original localizations have been removed and\or replaced with poorly translated subtitles. This should be a fun one!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Here is the finale! This wasn't the smoothest of recordings for me, even after a couple of retries and fluffing a couple of things I decided I was ready for this game to be done even if mistakes were made. In fact, this video could have been at least a minute shorter and that's mainly down to messing up the final puzzle a few times because I wasn't concentrating properly. I actually did reload the game in an attempt to re-record the final segment but the game crashed when I was halfway through getting back to it, I just shrugged my shoulders and let it be. The credits start a little before the thirty-minute mark and it feels kind of fitting that the music was sporadically glitching throughout.

So that was Rent-a-Hero. A middle of the road adventure game with some noticeable declines throughout. Usually I like to say something but I don't really know what to say with this one. Thank you, everyone, for watching and being a part of this LP. I'm not sure when the next one will be starting up but it will be within the next week.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Thanks for the LP, game was umm very something. Shame that something wasn't good or interesting or at least not sexist but they can't all be winners and hey, no airplane section!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Rocky, I know that an evil hag had cursed you to forever play forgotten adventure games but you can go for more interesting ones.
don't get your soul sucked to the elemental plane of boredom on our account.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
Nobody would be upset to see you fire up 'Thimbleweed Park' if you ever get tired if hitting yourself with digital hammers.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Where's the fun in that? If anything, delving into the obscure games is going to be an interesting experience at the least. I'm still going to play more well known games as I want to do an LP of Normality in the near future. I'm just going to keep things mixed up a little.

I'm trying to psych myself up for The City Of Lost Children at some point, the controls and mechanics of this game are horrendous.

I'm also trying to get Animal running, which involves a mascot from a 90s British advert campaign for Pepperami's that, for some reason, also includes FPS elements. This one is giving me nightmares.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 1, 2023

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
This game.

I got this game as part of a collection (Swing! Entertainment Game Gallery Volume 1) from my German grandparents. I remember that when it arrived, the mailman didn't bother to leave the box under the awning, and it got rained on, so we had to dry out the CDs. I didn't play them much, since my German is pretty bad when trying understand someone other than my dad, oma, or opa (and forget about reading). I think I only played Rent-a-Hero for about 30 minutes, but it still stuck out to me more than the other games since it was the only two CD game in the collection, and it certainly looked nice.

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity about what the rest of the game was like. It looks like I didn't miss much.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

It looks like we're keeping the (unintentional) German/Austrian trend going with the Mozart game. I gave it a short test run last night and will be exploring a little more tonight.

The voice acting definitely spoils the illusion that the game is set in Czechia.

TapamN posted:

This game.

I got this game as part of a collection (Swing! Entertainment Game Gallery Volume 1) from my German grandparents. I remember that when it arrived, the mailman didn't bother to leave the box under the awning, and it got rained on, so we had to dry out the CDs. I didn't play them much, since my German is pretty bad when trying understand someone other than my dad, oma, or opa (and forget about reading). I think I only played Rent-a-Hero for about 30 minutes, but it still stuck out to me more than the other games since it was the only two CD game in the collection, and it certainly looked nice.

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity about what the rest of the game was like. It looks like I didn't miss much.

I hope that this wasn't your first experience with adventure games. Although, that was cool of your grandparents to send you out a game collection like that.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I hope that this wasn't your first experience with adventure games. Although, that was cool of your grandparents to send you out a game collection like that.
Nope. The first Legend of Kyrandia was; the school I went to for 1st-3rd grade had it installed on one of the computers, and I later get a collection of all three Kyrandia games, which we got from a Borders bookstore. I also played Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon.

Edit: Just remembered that the school also had Wrath of the Gods.

TapamN fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 3, 2023

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

TapamN posted:

Nope. The first Legend of Kyrandia was; the school I went to for 1st-3rd grade had it installed on one of the computers, and I later get a collection of all three Kyrandia games, which we got from a Borders bookstore. I also played Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon.

I need to replay the Kyrandia games again. It's been around 25 years since I last played through them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Well, this wasn't the one I was expecting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rent_a_Hero