Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prescott
May 16, 2023

I’m reading the Bible so I can teach the zombies about Heaven.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx0KfEJZi_E
Runner’s World, June 2002

Immediately after the President's Fitness Challenge 3-Mile Run on June 22, Bush spent 20 minutes talking with Runner's World.

What running does:
First, it helps me sleep at night. Second, it keeps me disciplined. For example, I'm a person who believes in punctuality. That's a discipline. I expect the White House staff to be on time and sharp and to exercise. And in my case, running helps me keep that discipline.

Running also breaks up my day and allows me to recharge my batteries. Running also enables me to set goals and push myself toward those goals. In essence, it keeps me young. A good run adds a little bounce to my step. I get a certain amount of self-esteem from it. Plus, I just look and feel better…

It’s interesting that my times have become faster right after the war began. They were pretty fast all along, but since the war began, I have been running with a little more intensity. And I guess that's part of the stress relief I get from it. For me, the psychological benefit is enormous. You tend to forget everything's that going on in your mind, and just concentrate on the time, distance, or the sweat. It helps me to clear my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NsI2C8sQxA
His start in 1972:
I was still very young, but I was so out of shape, a friend of mine played to my vanity to get me to start running. Back then, I was a man who was known to drink a beer or two. And over time, I'm convinced that running helped me quit drinking and smoking.

As a runner, I quickly realized what it felt like to be healthy, and I already knew what it felt like to be unhealthy. If you're drinking too much, and you're running to cure a hangover, pretty soon you have to make a choice. Do you want to keep getting a hangover, or do you want to feel the way you do after a run? Running is a way to heal people. Running is something that just makes you feel fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQM7bsubV7Q
His current fitness program:
I go to work a little before 7 a.m., and I expect everybody to show up on time when I have a meeting. I make time to run or exercise every day. There's never a question in my mind that I'll exercise. Even when I travel, there's always a treadmill in my room. I have a treadmill on Air Force One. On long trips-for example, when I went to Europe recently-I ran for 90 minutes on the flight over there. When I came back from China, I ran on the flight.

Usually I run 6 days a week. When I don't run, I use an elliptical trainer, lift weights, and stretch. But when I run, I run hard. On Sundays, if I'm at Camp David, I'll go for a hard, morning run-these days about 20:30 to 20:45 for 3 miles on a tough course-and then I'll go walk 2 to 4 miles with Laura [the First Lady] afterward.

I try to go for longer runs, but it's tough around here at the White House on the outdoor track. When I'm at my ranch in Crawford [Tex.], I can do longer runs. It's sad that I can't run longer. It's one of the saddest things about the presidency. There would be nothing better than to take off on a long run around the Mall, but I just can't. I really miss those long ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p-TJzXjo1s
Making time to exercise:
I believe anyone can make the time. As a matter of fact, I don't believe it-I know it. If the President of the United States can make the time, anyone can.

Exercise is so important that corporate America should help its employees make time. There should be flextime for families, and there should be flextime for exercise. A healthy work force is a more productive work force. We have got to do a better job of encouraging exercise in America.

The beauty of running:
I ran in public this morning, because I am promoting exercise this week, but running is usually a private and personal thing for me. One of my favorite things to do at the ranch in Crawford is to get up early-I'm an early-morning guy-and just take off on this beautiful piece of property as the sun is coming up.

One of the great things about running-at least when I was free to do it on my own-was the ability to explore and see the natural world. My greatest runs have been those when I just get absorbed by the environment. When I was governor, I enjoyed running in Austin [Tex.] so much because I could run along some terrific trails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1KD_YZ9Kt8
His marathon in 1993:
I was distraught after my dad was defeated in 1992, so I decided I was going to set a little project for myself. I wanted to run the White Rock Marathon in Dallas, so I began training intensely for it. I gave myself a month to train for it, and pushed myself incredibly hard as this was after-election therapy. But I got sick, and it was really a foolish attempt on my part. So I set my sights on Houston, which gave me some more time to train. I ran it in 3:44. I ran the first mile in 8:30 and the last mile in 8:30. It was one of the great experiences of my life. I learned that running can make you feel 10 years younger the day of the race and 10 years older the day after the race. I also learned not to be so compulsive.

The 100-Degree Club:
It started during the campaign. It was August and well over 100 degrees. We landed in Crawford, and I said that I had to go for a run. I knew if I didn't get it in then, I'd never do it. So as I recall there was a change of shift of the Secret Service agents. And I just told them that we should all go for a run right then. So both shifts of agents went right with me in the heat. And afterward, I had "100-Degree Club" T-shirts and certificates printed up and gave 'em away to everybody who went with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_tUvFerrtk&t=34s
America's biggest health problems:
Tobacco, bad food, and lack of exercise. A lot of disease can be prevented. And I think you'll see the health-care systems will evolve toward encouraging prevention. Wise business insurers will work with physical fitness folks to encourage reasonable exercise. Statistic after statistic is beginning to sink into the consciousness of the American people that exercise is one of the keys to a healthy lifestyle.

One of my jobs as President is to set an example. I have an opportunity to send the message to the American people that I'm serious about exercising-and you should be, too.

Prescott has issued a correction as of 04:54 on May 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
he's running

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i will watch that drive

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Animal-Mother posted:

he's running

lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

he sounds gay

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

he's running

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
He was right! We're all fatter than ever too.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

sub 7:00 mile split for a ~5k. nice

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Prescott
May 16, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10_gbJtwei0

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

bush was fit and p cute tbh. the whole war crimes and illegal consolidation of executive poewr and the racism during katrina was a shame imo

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

biceps crimes posted:

bush was fit and p cute tbh. the whole war crimes and illegal consolidation of executive poewr was a shame imo

I can fix him.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

McCracAttack posted:

I can fix him.

Prescott
May 16, 2023

biceps crimes posted:

bush was fit and p cute tbh.
Going back and refamiliarizing myself with the man in his own expression and not the impressions-of-impressionists my mind has backfilled, re-encountering all his quirks and mannerisms… kinda crushing a little, not gonna lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
hes a president I could have a hard seltzer with