Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I think Boltgun is a flawed game that misses a couple of pretty big marks, and unfortunately some of those are going to be significant enough to stop some players in their tracks.

However I also think it's a triumph for games that do one or two things extremely well. I think the shooting in this game is top tier, seriously satisfying stuff. The titular boltgun is just an utterly joyous thing to blast away with. Also the game fully understands the source material and throws itself into it with both feet, including the absurdity of it. They understood the brief with this game and might as well have wrote "gently caress YEAH!" on the box art.

It's interesting though to see where people dropped the game. I took a break from the game at around the half way point of Act 2. Mostly due to this crazy new game release schedule. Once I came back to the game I powered through to the end pretty quickly and had a great time with it again, but if it wasn't for that "enforced" break I might not have finished it. I was starting to lose some steam by that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I am definitely petering out in act 2

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Yeah, this game was firmly 'OK'. And I played on the second-easiest level only. On higher difficulties I can only imagine it being infuriating.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I just got done starting this out for an hour and a half, and it's been enjoyable so far. Some of the map design complaints are warranted but at least for now the offending sections aren't that frequent. Weapons feel great, and the carnage is respectable, and they're throwing just enough enemy types at you at once to start prioritizing targets and stay on the move. Lots of folks saying this starts losing quality later on is somewhat concerning but what I've played so far is solid stuff.