Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

watho posted:

also i have to say i really don’t think the self deprecating “oh i’m so bad at posting” schtick is very funny or endearing and it kinda makes me roll my eyes. always has. you’re all good posters in my eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trollipop

hippin and hoppin
anyways what does the second b in byob stand for anyways? :thunk:

Areola Grande

Trollipop posted:

BEER :dudsmile:

I will fight a man over this if needs be :ohdear:

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Stoner Sloth

Trollipop posted:

bloobs which is slang for blueberries

Escape From Noise

:actually: it stands for "BYOB".

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Manifisto

I have been somewhat occupied recently which is why I haven't weighed in on this thread earlier, though I've been reading it and very much appreciate comments and insights of all varieties. There are some thoughts I'd like to share, although I'm not sure how well I'm going to do at it.

I am not the most senior poster around here by a long shot, but I have been here long enough to see lots of changes over time. I've seen it extremely busy and I've seen it pretty slow. There have been amazing posters from lots of different eras, some of whom have become active again, some who check in occasionally, some who haven't returned that I know of and I miss them greatly (even though some of them probably wouldn't remember me very well because there were periods where I lurked much more than I posted).

People step away for all sorts of reasons. We all need a break sometimes, I'm no different to be honest, and I think it's healthy. But they not infrequently come back, or perhaps you can find them more active in a loosely related space, and this is just the rhythm of this place. It's going to be different yet again in half a year or a year, and this is a good thing. A new mix of posters will be active then, very likely some new ones but also some old friends that have a change in life or attitude that allows them to be more active. And part of what makes byob special, to me, is that your presence and contributions are welcome even if you're not sure you're adding much.

What this place looks and feels like, at any given time, is more than anything a product of who is active here at that moment. It can feel disconcerting to say the least when someone who has been a posting superstar suddenly goes quieter, but that's not something anyone can control, least of all me (and believe me, if moderators had that kind of power I would have used it long ago). What we all do have power over is our own participation and our own posting, and if you feel like there should be more or better threads, the thing you can do, that we all can do, is put more time and attention into posting. That doesn't mean necessarily making lots of threads (though it can); an occasional single high quality thread is probably more memorable for many than a lot of more chatty ones--though there's nothing wrong with chat.

We like to joke about what the subforum title stands for, but I think "Bring Your Own BYOB" is a pretty good answer. BYOB is a state of mind, and it's something that each of us can nurture in ourselves and in others just by being around, consistent with our lives and obligations and level of interest and so on. There are times in this subforum's history that seem particularly special to me in hindsight. I'd love to go back to things as they were then, but that's not how this works. What we can do is create new special times, and there's nobody who's going to do that for us.

ty nesamdoom!

Machai

Escape From Noise posted:

:actually: it stands for "BYOB".

Bring Your Own Bring Your Own Bring Your OwnBring Your Own

watho

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

aw geeze you spilled infinite recursion all over my subforum this is gonna take forever to c aw geeze you spilled infinite recursion all over my subforum this is gonna take forever to c aw geeze you spilled infinite recursion all over my subforum this is gonna take forever to c aw geeze you spilled infinite recursion all over my subforum this is gonna take forever to c aw geeze you spilled infinite recursion all over my subforum this is gonna take forever to c aw geeze you spilled infinite recursion all over my subforum this is gonna take forever to

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BigClutteredJoey-mobile.mp4
thank u vanisher for the sig
and thank u nesamdoom for the good loops

Ass-penny

:stare:

new House of Leaves looking good, hopefully they leave the subplot about the tattoo artist out of it completely

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

watho posted:

aw geeze you spilled infinite recursion all over my subforum this is gonna take forever to c aw geeze you spilled infinite recursion all over my subforum this is gonna take forever to c aw geeze you spilled infinite recursion all over my subforum this is gonna take forever to c aw geeze you spilled infinite recursion all over my subforum this is gonna take forever to c aw geeze you spilled infinite recursion all over my subforum this is gonna take forever to c aw geeze you spilled infinite recursion all over my subforum this is gonna take forever to

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

be the byob you want to see in the world

Join the BYOB Army

thank you again Saoshyant!!

Areola Grande

your friend sk posted:

be the byob you want to see in the world

2Fast2Nutricious

I miss icequeen :(

2Fast2Nutricious

(the joke is she left before byob was a thing and therefore impossible to have any presence in this forum)

Scuba Trooper

where have all the cowboys gone

watho

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Scuba Trooper posted:

why don’t you ask all the saved horses…

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BigClutteredJoey-mobile.mp4
thank u vanisher for the sig
and thank u nesamdoom for the good loops

They Might Be

:yaycloud:

Machai

Scuba Trooper posted:

They grew up and turned into cowmen

Cowboyz II Cowmen

Escape From Noise

Scuba Trooper posted:

Long time pooooosting

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Dumb Sex-Parrot
hey where is heather papps?

thank you Saoshyantx4, Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss for the excellent signature

Areola Grande

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

hey where is heather papps?

i've been wondering this too :ohdear:

DoomCroissant

Roll D3 for Delicious Flaky Crust
maybe the old posters are here in new forms

perhaps a new identity was needed to reach a higher form of chillax

Scuba Trooper

DoomCroissant posted:

maybe the old posters are here in new forms

perhaps a new identity was needed to reach a higher form of chillax

I mean that’s what I did :ninja:

Areola Grande

Scuba Trooper posted:

I mean that’s what I did :ninja:

:dogstare: who....who are u :dogstare:

Happy Hippo

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

not a byob goon but does anyone know what happened to elf pr0n?

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

Happy Hippo posted:

not a byob goon but does anyone know what happened to elf pr0n?

Last post in 2013, had like five posts total between 2011 and 2012. I guess life just got in the way and, at some point, like Robin Williams in Hook, the thing that kept them as they were was lost and they grew out of the goon posting phase.

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Squirrels2Nuts

comedere nuces omni tempore
if someone stops posting, their life either got better, or way worse
if someone starts posting again, their life got way worse

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Ass-penny

Squirrels2Nuts posted:

:hmmyes:

Dumb Sex-Parrot

Squirrels2Nuts posted:

is there something you'd like to share with the rest of class? :ohdear:

thank you Saoshyantx4, Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss for the excellent signature

Scuba Trooper

Areola Grande posted:

:dogstare: who....who are u :dogstare:

:wink:

Squirrels2Nuts posted:

DoomCroissant

Roll D3 for Delicious Flaky Crust

Squirrels2Nuts posted:

:negative:

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!
everybody's life gets worse sometimes. i'm just glad they want to post with us when it happens!

this sig is protected by Simsmagic!

Areola Grande

Sherbert Hoover posted:

everybody's life gets worse sometimes. i'm just glad they want to post with us when it happens!

byob is for cheering u up whether u got the sadbrains or not :unsmith:

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Squirrels2Nuts posted:

A Powerful Truth

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

the secret is to never stop posting :justpost:

Join the BYOB Army

thank you again Saoshyant!!

Wertjoe

Squirrels2Nuts posted:

This is hauntingly accurate.

Quadramind

Yep. I only started posting properly when I hit the absolute lowest point in my life, and I have to say thank you, byob, for getting me through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshCutFries

even though like two people only ever acknowledged they remembered me, i miss posting and regret abandoning byob for what i thought would be greener comedy pastures but just turned out to give me a mental breakdown