Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
we got legitimately haunted last time we went camping, never doing that again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

what happened

i once felt my bf cuddle me but then realised it was coming from the wrong side of the tent :ohdear: was i just half asleep and imagining things or did i get a ghost hug?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

hemale in pain posted:

what happened

i once felt my bf cuddle me but then realised it was coming from the wrong side of the tent :ohdear: was i just half asleep and imagining things or did i get a ghost hug?

Reckon that was a squatch what snuffled in in th’ middle o’ the night

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Basically went to a kind-of remote dispersed site we had gone to a few years in a row in Upper Peninsula Michigan. There is a short hike from the road to get to it, and it's on a small lake, former cranberry bog. It's this nice in-between of car camping and backpacking. We felt fine there before, just the two of us.

We were roughing out a 3 night stay; the other couple left a night early since there was a chance of rain and they don't go very hard. So we were kind of excited to have the site to ourselves the last night. We got everything packed up except sleeping bag and tent, had a nice dinner, cleaned up and went for a walk.

I don't know, the woods were fuckin' too quiet that entire weekend. I thought I was seeing some more remnants of illegal off-site campfires than I recalled in prior seasons, maybe half a dozen spots over 10 miles or so of looping trail. It made me wonder who was lookin out for things up there. I realized with the other couple gone it felt like we were a little too alone on this trip. Like something was off.

Mrs. Blunts and I hadn't discussed anything about this until we tucked into our bags and tried to close our eyes. It's like...we had to confess to each other we were really loving uneasy. The fact she spoke first made me shudder a bit. She thought she heard something like a man's cough while at the latrine but thought it was ridiculous. We were both half-raised deep in the back country and have plenty of experience camping and getting over this kind of thing. Like it's just crazy, a nonstarter, for this sort of fear, given how much experience we have.

We get up and try to walk around the campsite a bit, and make sense of our sense of panic, but to no avail. "I do not want to stay here" is her verdict and I'm right behind her.

So like, watching our backs or something? We speed ran the rest of the tear down, got to the car, and evacuated the UP at about 10pm, with a rain storm following our path home.

It's all paved, but that US forest main road and then the coastal highway through Escanaba to Wisconsin are a bit fuckin treacherous making that sort of drive. I stopped to take a piss at a lakeside stop and just heard Lake Michigan fuckin slosh raging in the stormy weather and I thought about how I was just driving next to an abyss of that poo poo, and if anything happened to us everyone would wonder what the gently caress we were doing.

We pushed well past Escanaba, until we found this 6-story Best Western in Marinette that was adequately metropolitan, checking in probably around 1:30am, maybe later. We got home early the last day of that vacation wondering what had gotten into us.

I had definitely looked up some information on the history of this particular lake after our 2nd year visiting. I wondered about depth and fish, involvement with the CCC, and why it had that name, etc. I never found much really.

For some reason it wasn't until getting back from this trip I tried harder, including some of the adjacent townships' names in the search. I found something actually startling - in 1959 a family of 12 people god drat drowned in the lake all at once. 10 children, the mother and an uncle all perished, apparently, and the husband survived to get to the nearest town and report it. The lake is only about a mile long and a quarter mile wide, 40-60 ft deep.

Our visit there was around the same time of year of the tragedy, spooky ending for ya.

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 6, 2023

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

The husband’s name? Albert Einstein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Use your camping trip to find jimson seeds and wonder why you did this in the first place.