Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

thotsky posted:

Is the argument "you can't talk about conversion therapy' or "you can't talk about trans people"? As far as I know they weren't trying to do the latter, and as for the former, why not? I don't think it's a great episode, but the performances are pretty good and stuff about alien gender and sexuality stuff is always pretty interesting. The tragic ending is upsetting, but it's not the first or last time Star Trek does some dark stuff, and the episode is cearly trying to put forwards a positive message.

I'm an ancient cishet male, so I may be missing some of the points here, but I believe the issue is that the episode posits a form of conversion therapy that works -- a process that clearly doesn't work in the real world, a process that queer folk have often been threatened with or forced to undergo, a process that simplifies queerness to "homo vs. hetero." Mention of the process itself is hurtful to a segment of folx here and that's the issue. Does that mean we can't talk about that episode? If it's causing a few people this much distress, maybe we can lay off of it -- I plan to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.
As a gay dude I like The Outcast except for how they were too chicken to have Riker make out with a dude. They should have had it be another man. And there should have been nudity and full penetration.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Worf was a dick in that episode and I still can't decide if I like that he had Riker's back when he beamed down or if it's like, too little too late my man

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Penne is actually pretty tame and primitive in a sci-fi galaxy where there could be energy beings that intertwine directly with every atom and quark in your body resonating some at weird string frequency outside the universe or time.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Funny enough Star Trek did do an episode with a Holocaust denial allegory where the people being genocided were heavily Roma- and Jewish-coded. It ended with the Federation crew shrugging their shoulders and saying "both sides say they're right, but the accuser is interrupting our party with these nice friendly people and being rude. Who can say what the truth is?" and just flying off.

http://www.littlereview.com/getcritical/trek/remember.htm

...no they don't. They kick the aliens off their ship and stop dealing with them, and B'elanna confronts them about their crimes, and while she can't convince their leaders to listen, she does pass on what she's learned to one of them and hopes they'll eventually confront their past.

(And the people being genocided felt more indigenous-coded to me - the alien government depicted them as 'primitives' who wouldn't assimilated into their 'modern' society, and the whole thing felt like more of a Trail of Tears forced displacement.)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tighclops posted:

Worf was a dick in that episode and I still can't decide if I like that he had Riker's back when he beamed down or if it's like, too little too late my man

Worf's secondary role after Losing To This Week's Big Bad was Being A Douche About This Week's Alien Strangeness, he jobbed so hard back then.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Tighclops posted:

He really shows off that newfound tolerance for non-binary people when he jumps at the opportunity to beat up a dozen of them.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

-A planet with an overpopulation crisis and heterosexual sex is forbidden

Star Trek would never do this because planets are stargate style single cities on gigantic planets

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Taear posted:

Star Trek would never do this because planets are stargate style single cities on gigantic planets

But they're beautiful cities.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Taear posted:

I like the episode where some alien planet has a fertility crisis so they kidnap, like, a dozen kids from the Enterprise and figure that's enough to keep them going for another generation.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Angry Salami posted:

I like the episode where some alien planet has a fertility crisis so they kidnap, like, a dozen kids from the Enterprise and figure that's enough to keep them going for another generation.

Look, it’s a really small planet

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Angry Salami posted:

Or the clone one where they basically take 3 people.
Legit it's funny how 90s sci fi always has tiny, tiny, tiny world populations

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
free real estate

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Khanstant posted:

Penne is actually pretty tame and primitive in a sci-fi galaxy where there could be energy beings that intertwine directly with every atom and quark in your body resonating some at weird string frequency outside the universe or time.

But it has been established that doing this just makes you a colossal rear end in a top hat.

Because you've described the Great Link

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Taear posted:

Or the clone one where they basically take 3 people.
Legit it's funny how 90s sci fi always has tiny, tiny, tiny world populations

The clone world had a base set of five individuals, that was the whole point. Even taking two would be a huge diversification and refreshment of their genetic base.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I suspect the 'take a handful of people to revitalize our dying population' thing came out of UFOlogy, since one of the emergent narratives about our little gray space brothers was that they were having population-wide genetic problems and were near enough to humans to want to take our pure bodily fluids, which could, in relatively small amounts, provide them with what they needed to revitalize their people.

While perhaps superficially plausible, and similarly the kind of thing where they don't just show up on Clinton's doorstep and ask "WHERE IS THE CUM?", the implicit scale and frequency of this activity made the aliens seem more like perverts than desperate survivors doing something strange and nasty.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Riker: my cum, my choice *vaporizes giant vat of his cum*

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Going back to good episodes of Enterprise, I'd even say there are nice parts of Season 3, although everything tying into the whole unbearable overarching 9/11 plot kinda makes it hard to pick and choose "untainted" episodes, which is the downside to continuity.

The treacherous Delphic expanse with strange anomolies that make navigation difficult and drive vulcans mad and even for one or two episodes required that the crew be put in stasis or hide away in the warp coils is a real solid Star Trek premise, but there's no getting around having to explain why the crew is wandering through there and why there are two Malcolms.

Khanstant posted:

Is this from the new x man cartoon or the comics?

Here's a pretty nice article going over the times she's done it in three separate stories in the 1980s.
https://www.cbr.com/you-go-your-way-and-i-go-mine-kitty-prydes-use-of-the-n-word/
I don't think they're the worst things X-Men has done with their whole racial allegory angle, but it's definitely dangerous territory to play around with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Here's a pretty nice article going over the times she's done it in three separate stories in the 1980s.
https://www.cbr.com/you-go-your-way-and-i-go-mine-kitty-prydes-use-of-the-n-word/
I don't think they're the worst things X-Men has done with their whole racial allegory angle, but it's definitely dangerous territory to play around with.

Thanks, more interesting in context than seeing a random page first time I looked it up. For the 80s might've expected worse, their missteps were clumsy and kind of weird to put on a mask over the hat of your allegory that matches the thing you're making an allegory for. At the same time, even when I was a kid you'd hear people discuss what something meant on media as if it were like a huge surprise that one thing could stand for another while not being literally part of that thing. So maybe they felt they needed to be more explicit for the knuckleheads who weren't getting it?