Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prescott
May 16, 2023

I’m reading the Bible so I can teach the zombies about Heaven.

Observe good faith and justice towards all Nations. Cultivate peace and harmony with all. Religion and morality enjoin this conduct; and can it be that good policy does not equally enjoin it?

The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule it by fictitious miracles?

It is in our lives and not our words that our religion must be read.

It is the duty of every man to render to the Creator such homage... Before any man can be considered as a member of Civil Society, he must be considered as a subject of the Governor of the Universe.

[Monroe left behind little religious material or private writings.]

Prescott has issued a correction as of 02:05 on May 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prescott
May 16, 2023

It is my wish to fill every moment of my time with some action of the mind which may contribute to the pleasure or the improvement of my fellow creatures.

People are my religion, because I believe in them.

The atonement of Jesus Christ is the only remedy and rest for my soul.

Conscience, that vicegerent of God in the human heart, whose "still small voice" the loudest revelry cannot drown.

Let it be henceforth proclaimed to the world that man's conscience was created free; that he is no longer accountable to his fellow man for his religious opinions, being responsible therefore only to his God.

Prescott
May 16, 2023

Under the blessings of Divine Providence... It becomes us, in humility, to make our devout acknowledgments to the Supreme Ruler of the Universe, for the inestimable civil and religious blessings with which we are favored.

The only ground of hope for the continuance of our free institutions is in the proper moral and religious training of the children, that they may be prepared to discharge aright the duties of men and citizens.

May God save the country, for it is evident that the people will not.

It will not be sufficient that sectional prejudices find no place in the public deliberations. It will not be sufficient that the rash counsels of human passion are rejected. It must be felt that there is no national security but in the nation's humble, acknowledged dependence upon God and His overruling providence.

There is nothing stable but Heaven and the Constitution.

Prescott
May 16, 2023

The highest art is always the most religious, and the greatest artist is always a devout person.

Duties have been mine; consequences are God's.

Many of the notions--nay, most of the notions--which orthodox people have of the divinity of the Bible, I disbelieve. I am so nearly infidel in all my views, that too, in spite of my wishes, that none but the most liberal doctrines can command my assent.

There are times in the history of men and nations, when they stand so near the vale that separates mortals from the immortals, time from eternity, and men from their God, that they can almost hear the beatings, and feel the pulsations of the heart of the Infinite.

Prescott
May 16, 2023

I may be president of the United States, but my private life is nobody's damned business.

God forbid that the day should ever come when, in the American mind, the thought of man as a consumer shall submerge the old American thought of man as a creature of God, endowed with unalienable rights.

“Unswerving loyalty to duty, constant devotion to truth, and a clear conscience will overcome every discouragement and surely lead the way to usefulness and high achievement.”

By the blessings of heaven I mean to live and die, please God, in the faith of my mother.

Prescott
May 16, 2023

Denominational screenshots courtesy Mr. Beats on YouTube, utilized not endorsed.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Finally, some important stops in my national tour of public bathrooms

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Jabberlock posted:

Finally, some important stops in my national tour of public bathrooms

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

James Garfield is a Disciple of Christ zombie after getting assassinated? Interesting... :hmmyes:

Prescott
May 16, 2023

Horseshoe theory posted:

James Garfield is a Disciple of Christ zombie after getting assassinated? Interesting... :hmmyes:
Why do you think he’s the only one in a plain casket and not a tomb or beneath the earth?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Monroe and Madison seem out of order, but excellent effort. I enjoy seeing these people dead.

So would you consider the first evangelical van Buren of the Dutch Reformed, or Lincoln as a Baptist?

Also jesus christ McKinley maybe put a little effort into your tomb next time

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bilirubin posted:

Monroe and Madison seem out of order, but excellent effort. I enjoy seeing these people dead.

So would you consider the first evangelical van Buren of the Dutch Reformed, or Lincoln as a Baptist?

Also jesus christ McKinley maybe put a little effort into your tomb next time

oh and is that Monroe's ironworks grave gazebo you can see behind Taylor's spire?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
these guys sure are dead

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Grants Tomb is a quick stop if you're in NYC. Worth a look for the architecture.

Prescott
May 16, 2023

Bilirubin posted:

I am far too new to theological study that I feel timid talking much about it. Quite the guided thought, of course.

Bilirubin posted:

oh and is that Monroe's ironworks grave gazebo you can see behind Taylor's spire?
It is!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
cool post i liked reading it and looking at the cool graves. question: some are bigger than others. while obvs some are more popular / epic than others, some size and ornamentation disparities dont make too much sense to me. who funds the more mundane tombs?

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Prescott posted:

I am far too new to theological study that I feel timid talking much about it. Quite the guided thought, of course.

It is!

the same cemetary also houses Jefferson Davis

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Prescott posted:

Of course the Congregationalists are Puritans by another name, so perhaps they would count. Mind, I'm not sure the evangelical drive would be quite the same back then as now so its probably not a fair way to contextualize this. Mind, I grew up in Christian Reformed central so I mentally equate Calvinists with evangelicals, but that is a modern perception.

quote:

It is!

Cool, a brace of dead presidents!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Jabberlock posted:

the same cemetary also houses Jefferson Davis

So Richmond?

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Bilirubin posted:

So Richmond?

Yeh, the happiest place on earth

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
More like this, op!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

so is prescott the permabanned lawsuit guy or BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i dont think he's lawsuit guy unless he really got his poo poo together to post about a single subject for more than one post

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Did Ulysses S. Grant never say anything cool?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

whoa, so Grant really is buried in Grant's tomb

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Grevling posted:

"Want a snort of this hooch?"

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Grevling posted:

googling at random I get : "No other terms than unconditional and immediate surrender. I propose to move immediately upon your works." which is pretty cool imho

though I bet he would have said something about the whole "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" being utter bullshit if you look at how much his administration of handpicked friends was actually constantly backstabbing him and trying to ratfuck each other and the country.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Grevling posted:

just drunken ramblings so any coherent thoughts get attributed to his interpreter, Bill Sherman

Prescott
May 16, 2023

I think this thread might have been biting off more than I could chew. I’ve spent my day with an unshakeable sense of melancholy… a melancholy of uncertainty instead of hopelessness, so certainly I’ll look back and be thankful for it. But it’s weighing, here as I’m still living it.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

thread's good OP

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

January 6 Survivor posted:

googling at random I get : "No other terms than unconditional and immediate surrender. I propose to move immediately upon your works." which is pretty cool imho

that’s a sick quote for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Prescott posted:

I think this thread might have been biting off more than I could chew. I’ve spent my day with an unshakeable sense of melancholy… a melancholy of uncertainty instead of hopelessness, so certainly I’ll look back and be thankful for it. But it’s weighing, here as I’m still living it.

I hope you feel better my friend