Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Defiance Industries posted:

Or engaging, or clever, or intriguing

Yeah, I realized half a second too late "you are talking about Ernest Cline". That's like trying to get a lead pyramid to roll down hill. A better metaphor than I bet anything Ernie's ever written or will write :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Them reading Cline just feels nice and warm in a way that Artemis made me feel.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I think what really set the tone for me with Cline was not the two page spread of references and how he'd watched all of The Simpsons and Voltron and read Stephen King and whatever but when Wade said " Our arguments were often high in entertainment value." Yeah, citation needed there.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
This episode actually made me consider for the first time that Cline might have been a big fan of MST3K and I wonder if he knows how much Mike loathes his work.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Apr 21, 2024

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mordja posted:

This episode actually made me consider for the first time that Cline actually might have been a big fan of MST3K and I wonder if he knows how much Mike makes fun of his books.

I hope so.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mordja posted:

This episode actually made me consider for the first time that Cline might have been a big fan of MST3K and I wonder if he knows how much Mike loathes his work.

One wonders how much self-awareness one can possess when they bought a DeLorean and put a Ghostbuster logo on the side.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mordja posted:

Had the exact same thought in the exact same place listening to that episode. Just "lol, I wonder if Cline knows".

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Who is this book for? It's way too childishly written for the YA market it purports to be targeted towards, but it also deals with the loss of family to illness and war that I imagine would put off a younger audience. Then there's the fact that it's set in the 80s and has all the throwaway references we've grown to expect, and what 9-15 year-old would give a poo poo about that?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It feels like Cline's trying to replicate one of those 60s/70s-era childrens' novels he grew up reading in school where Some Adult poo poo happens in between wholesome animal-centric adventures like Owls in the Family, Watership Down, Redwall, The Rats of NIHM, etc. It is deffo one those "guy in his 50s writing the kind of book he read as a child 40 years later for an audience of 1" things.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
cline never matured past the age of 12. he's a nerd in the most pejorative sense, where his entire worldview is defined by the media he consumes. fucker's even starting his own metaverse

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/372Pages/status/1782796379246457027

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BRANDS BRANDS BRANDS BRANDS 1980s REFERENCE BRANDS BRANDS BRANDS how can you tell this is an Ernest Cline novel?

I am happy to say I overestimated Cline. I legit thought this was him trying something completely out of his wheelhouse to break out of his self-made box, but NOOOOOOPE :newlol:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I don't know who else subscribes to the patreon but the Encyclopedia Brown stuff is pretty funny and and a good way to feel smarter than Mike.