Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Hello,

Someone gave me a 2015 MacBook Air that's being 'weird' and it's driving me up the wall.

The battery seems fine. Holds a charge and shows a percentage in the OS.

However, it only will boot with a charger connected. But once in the OS if you touch the power button it instantly turns off.

It will not respond to option key when booting.

I can get it into Internet Recovery, and it responds to the keyboard and trackpad to navigate up and down the WiFi networks and select one. But I'm unable to actually type in the password. The keyboard works fine in the OS. Again, the power button instantly hard shuts down the machine as if you were holding it for 10 seconds. External keyboard does the same thing. Can navigate menus in Internet Recovery, but is not able to actually enter text.

It doesn't chime. I've followed each guide to reset NVRAM, SMB, etc. But I can't really find people who are seeing the same behavior. The machine is really clean so it's not likely hardware damage. Behavior doesn't change regardless of whether the battery is plugged in or not.

I'm confused. Is this machine toast somehow? Is this a common hardware failure?

EDIT: I take that back, the keyboard DOES NOT work properly in the OS. It just spits out gibberish. Lots of accented characters and Apple logos.

EDIT2: I get the same characters as this guy. https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/359711/symbols-appear-instead-of-letters-numbers-when-typing-on-mac

I guess this is a hardware thing after all.

EDIT3: I don't think this is a hardware issue. Clearly this machine thinks option and shift are held down. Fair enough. But it doesn't explain why touching the power button causes instant shutdown. My other MacBooks don't do this when holding shift and option.

EDIT4: Some water damage on the ribbon connector that goes from the trackpad to the main board.

EDIT5: Lots of alcohol on all the ribbons and it's all fixed.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
It's a bad kb, trackpad cable, or track pad connector. Open the bottom, remove the battery, see that cable going from the track pad to the logic board?

Remove that, gently, and clean it with a qtip/water

The machine powers off because ctrl shift option power is the keystroke for SMC Reset.

Wow I didn't see the edits at all kill me