Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Is anyone talking about this? I could hardly find anything except a mention in the KSP thread. Anyway Juno: New Origins came out of beta in March (and changed its name from SimpleRockets 2) and it is really something. I have been uh kinda busy with it.

It's like KSP except all the parts are procedural, you can determine the shape, size, mass, power, and color. IMO it's a better base game, if you want a part you just make it, and it has a lot of QoL tweaks that make it more comfortable to play. It also performs way better so you can greeble to your heart's content and still keep a reasonable framerate.

You can make space ships, planes, rovers, cars, tanks, and boats. There's a whole star system I haven't explored because I'm too busy making the biggest space station I can imagine.

It has a small but robust community that does some pretty wild stuff if you check out the Discord. There's also a repository of player-made craft on the website.

On top of all this, it has a visual programming language called Vizzy for scripting your vehicles. I'm not much of a programmer, but I've used it to implement basic launch trajectories, attitude and thrust control. I didn't know what a PID controller was before but now I do!

It's about to release version 1.1 (currently in beta) with a bunch of tweaks and new parts. Mostly boat/propeller plane stuff, but among the tweaks are some good improvements to the map view that make maneuvers more precise.

Anyway, don't sleep on this game, it's really good! Available on Steam and Mobile. Check it out at Simplerockets.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
Juno's real good, definitely easier to get going in than Kerbal, and I think the UI is a lot more intuitive for managing transfers and circularizing and stuff. Also the building tools are really fun and versatile.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I've got nearly 2k hours in ksp1 and fancied giving this a try. I haven't learned my lesson and still run into this kind of thing without any guides or documentation.

I Got to luna and back but then I found that there's this coding editor in the builder. I spent hours automating a rocket to droo orbit. My jank is dumb but it works

Fire the rocket up

If the stage is empty, fire the next stage

Pitch slowly from 90 to 70 degrees over a good few seconds

Hold it there until the time to apoapsis is more than 40 seconds away

If the time to apoapsis is more than 42 seconds begin pitching down slowly but no less than 0 degrees

If it is less than 38 seconds then pitch up slowly no more than 70 degrees

If it's more than 80 seconds then just hold it at 0

When the apoapsis reaches 110k shut the thing off

Then fire it up again at apoapsis until the periapsis is above 109k

The pitching for time to apoapsis thing is so silly but it just works

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

There’s a major update to JNO now, check out the trailer!

https://youtu.be/Yz3LtfReBnU

This is a huge update to visuals, plus the game is on discount so you have no excuse not to get it. Time for me to blow the dust back off my install.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Oh drat I never posted the Cygnus clone I made in this thread, did I? This was so much work to make and I kinda lost all energy for the game when I finished it. Heh

You can even download it! https://www.simplerockets.com/c/BjYZ0q/Grus-Chronos-Cygnus-Antares-Clone

Silver Alicorn fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 26, 2023