Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

AvesPKS posted:

So, in this model, the suits and execs act as the creatives? Or someone still has to provide art direction or whatever for the vfx...right? Maybe that's another reason this looked like such poo poo.
In this model, asking who created the movie is like asking which worker at the Ford plant built a given car.

(The answer is that Henry Ford built all of them, because he's the Wealth Creator whose entrepreneurial genius is behind it all. Incidentally, Marvel enshrined Stan Lee the same way.)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

WHY BONER NOW posted:

So is the flash like genius level IQ? He could reliably recreate the conditions for granting his super powers, seems like there's a lot you could do with that

Edit: granting super powers to people, that is

He’s definitely a smarty, he’s supposed to be a talented forensic scientist and at least during the Silver Age did a lot of sciencey solutions to things. For comparison I’d say he’s maybe a step below Spider-Man who also does a lot of that but doesn’t necessarily get to full Reed Richards/Tony Stark levels of engineering.

As for why he doesn’t just go around granting super powers to people, it’s half “I don’t know if it will work for everyone and don’t want to horridly kill/disfigure my family and friends with lightning and chemical burns” and half not wanting to burden people with that responsibility.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Halloween Jack posted:

In this model, asking who created the movie is like asking which worker at the Ford plant built a given car.

(The answer is that Henry Ford built all of them, because he's the Wealth Creator whose entrepreneurial genius is behind it all. Incidentally, Marvel enshrined Stan Lee the same way.)

Right but the line workers weren't deciding how many wheels the car was going to have, or whether to put a fender on. (Except in Detroit on a Friday in the 70s). I get that it's a collaborative effort, but again they still need a Roger Corman to say, no that looks fine no need to do another pass at vfxing that shot up, or whatever. I guess that's just being delegated down the line, going directly from exec to vfx manager? And that in of itself doesn't seem to be a new dynamic where the director is constrained in realizing their vision because of corporate interference or whatever. I guess it's just being taken to an extreme here?

Guy A. Person posted:

As for why he doesn’t just go around granting super powers to people, it’s half “I don’t know if it will work for everyone and don’t want to horridly kill/disfigure my family and friends with lightning and chemical burns” and half not wanting to burden people with that responsibility.

There's a DCAU movie (Flashpoint?) based on the comics where he gets the experiment wrong the first time and ends up horribly injuring himself.

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 1, 2023

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Darko posted:

Batman 66 killed the rehydrated goons.

Dini/Timm Batman uses cartoon logic so he hasn't, at least.

The Dini/Timm Batman is basically supposed to be the burton version

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

AvesPKS posted:

Right but the line workers weren't deciding how many wheels the car was going to have, or whether to put a fender on. (Except in Detroit on a Friday in the 70s). I get that it's a collaborative effort, but again they still need a Roger Corman to say, no that looks fine no need to do another pass at vfxing that shot up, or whatever. I guess that's just being delegated down the line, going directly from exec to vfx manager? And that in of itself doesn't seem to be a new dynamic where the director is constrained in realizing their vision because of corporate interference or whatever. I guess it's just being taken to an extreme here?
That sounds like a whole lot of stuff that would never happen without society's true Creators, venture capitalists.

But seriously, in this model you absolutely need a Stan Lee or a Roger Corman to act as a conduit between upper management and the people who actually make things. It's not an accident that people think of "Roger Corman films" while forgetting who actually wrote and directed them, nor that Marvel enshrined Stan Lee as this sort of grandfatherly Santa Claus who dreamed all your favourite stories into being.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

That sounds like a whole lot of stuff that would never happen without society's true Creators, venture capitalists.

But seriously, in this model you absolutely need a Stan Lee or a Roger Corman to act as a conduit between upper management and the people who actually make things. It's not an accident that people think of "Roger Corman films" while forgetting who actually wrote and directed them, nor that Marvel enshrined Stan Lee as this sort of grandfatherly Santa Claus who dreamed all your favourite stories into being.

I think it's Star Raiders where you watch it and it's clearly made on a tight budget, but there's care put into things like the mattes and the score.

Also Pitch Meeting feels eerily like the way things are actually done too.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

AvesPKS posted:

I think it's Star Raiders where you watch it and it's clearly made on a tight budget, but there's care put into things like the mattes and the score.

Also Pitch Meeting feels eerily like the way things are actually done too.

wow we found the star raiders fan

I think you mean space raiders lol

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Well I wasn't going to be mean about it

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

TIP posted:

Rifftrax! Rifftrax only! I swear! And that one is pretty good too...

Rifftrax is the only reason I've seen Transformers 2 so many times.

Yeah Space Raiders lol.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

TIP posted:

Okay, I need to see this, lol

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

Okay, I need to see this, lol

https://www.rifftrax.com/rifftrax-live-star-raiders

The Rifftrax is a banger.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'd say Corman is/was the ideal producer; someone who doesn't really care that much what you're making, but is very good at stretching out a budget & pulling in favors for high quality props/score/actors.

It's distressing that I could absolutely see him heading an AI film though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, the trick is you need someone who understands how the medium actually works well enough to work with artists and has the clout to tell the suits to gently caress off before they ruin everything.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
LMAO new phase of DC started with Blue Beetle which uh lets go ahead and check those numbers "101 Million dollars' with uh lets check those numbers "104 million dollars" to make.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It doesn’t start with blue beetle.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

CelticPredator posted:

LMAO it doesn't start period.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Floating Flash Face is Watching You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNwQKA4BuPQ

CelticPredator posted:

I don't know when the NU DCU actually starts, all I know is that The Flash was supposed to Reboot the Universe and this is the first film after The Flash and doesn't feature a cameo from any of the pre-existing Wonder Woman, Batman, Flash, Cyborg, Aquaman, Shazam, etc. actors.

90sgamer posted:

The Dini/Timm Batman is basically supposed to be the burton version
Nah, Dini/Timm Batman does not kill whereas Burton Batman is mega punisher levels of murder happy.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Assepoester posted:

I don't know when the NU DCU actually starts, all I know is that The Flash was supposed to Reboot the Universe and this is the first film after The Flash and doesn't feature a cameo from any of the pre-existing Wonder Woman, Batman, Flash, Cyborg, Aquaman, Shazam, etc. actors.

I feel bad saying this as a lifelong DC fanboy, but I no longer care anymore. They've killed my interest in new movies.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Assepoester posted:

I don't know when the NU DCU actually starts, all I know is that The Flash was supposed to Reboot the Universe

It wasn't, actually. Everybody thought it was supposed to do that because that would have made some sense, but they retooled their Flash movie into this big multiversial cameo fest with the ending of timelines and universes backed into the original story, and then they didn't make that the thing that starts everything anew, because they have no clue what "new" even means for them.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Grendels Dad posted:

It wasn't, actually. Everybody thought it was supposed to do that because that would have made some sense, but they retooled their Flash movie into this big multiversial cameo fest with the ending of timelines and universes backed into the original story, and then they didn't make that the thing that starts everything anew, because they have no clue what "new" even means for them.
I have no idea why they would do that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Assepoester posted:

I have no idea why they would do that.

They're intensely stupid, have no idea what they want and are basically cargo culting random bits of what Marvel movies do thinking if they do the same thing harder they'll get the same glowing reception rather than be seen as making desperate knockoffs.

ed: I feel the trick with Batman is that they have immense and justified confidence in it so they don't gently caress around with it nearly as much, resulting in actually letting the people make the movie.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 4, 2023

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Except they do just fine with Batman movies. They should just do that with their other properties.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

Except they do just fine with Batman movies. They should just do that with their other properties.

Sounds like you're daring them to gently caress Batman up. Watch Gunn try his hand at recreating Batman '66 but giving us another WW84.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I think Joker making a billion dollars + The Batman earning 771 million has helped protect Batman-related movies from too much meddling; with the shambolic nature of DC movies right now, I don't think Zaslav & Co. want to kill the golden geese that are trucking along making good money with minimal necessary involvement.

Now, if Joker 2 flops, the next Batman movie probably ends up with 50 cameos and by-committee aesthetics.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

With the DCU planning on having Batman with a Damian Wayne version of Robin, I'm kind of skeptical how that will fly. Damian has evolved into a very different character than he was when he first came on the scene. What version are they going to go with? The Hit Girl Lite version of the character, or the mellowed out one? Either way, it almost guarantees that the League of Assassins/Shadows/whatevertheydecidetocallit is going to be a factor just to get the audience up to speed with why Bruce Wayne suddenly has a biological son.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They've already had one version of Batman introduced as a hardened veteran, it doesn't seem like that big a stretch. Not that they can't find a way to gently caress it up regardless.

They also already had Damian Wayne introduced apropos of nothing (if not named) in Batman vs TMNT, who works hilariously well specifically as a contrast.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Grendels Dad posted:

Sounds like you're daring them to gently caress Batman up. Watch Gunn try his hand at recreating Batman '66 but giving us another WW84.

Despite what a lot of this forum thinks I don’t think he can make something that jank by himself that’s not directed by the hack that did the Smurfs

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Yeah I don't want to throw shade at Gunn. It just feels like current DCU is cursed like that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

To be fair we’re ending that era of the weird post Snyder nonsense so we’ll see what happens

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Will the post-post-Snyder era have call backs to the post-Snyder era though?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Invalid Validation posted:

There's a dozen previous successful Batman movies to reassure the execs that a movie with its characters and tone can sell.

For any other comic book superhero, the question is going to be "why isn't this more like Marvel?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Making a billy didn’t save aquaman from the studio meddling with the sequel