Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantombane
Sep 29, 2021

Slyphic posted:

4th ed RPG book just came out. There's some fantastic new art in it.

Those are some suicidally brave infantry for running into melee with GRELs, doesn't seem to be working too well for them either.

Slyphic posted:

And with the release of the RPG, the embargo on info about the next Blitz faction, New Jerusalem, appears to be lifting.

Silhouettes of the SAC-005 and SAC-004.

What's the deal with this faction? Either lore or mechanical identity, If anything has been revealed yet that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
No real word on NJ's mechanics yet. Lore wise, there's been a series of posts from their designer about the history of the planet approaching current era - https://www.dp9community.com/gear-up-blog/tag/Heavy+Gear+RPG I'm like two weeks behind in reading it, but I thought it was really cool.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
What if Celestial Being was Bibleman, is what i'm guessing.

Phantombane
Sep 29, 2021
Thanks for the link, I looked at the first two and will probably check out the rest later.

I will say based off the first two I am a bit worried about how the rest will go, the topics this faction seems to be covering is full to bursting with potential pitfalls.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

It's all so very broad stroke that I don't think you have anything to worry about. I've read most of the entries, and Fivemarks looks to have hit the nail on the head. It's about as engaged with the specifics of the faiths involved as Gundam 00 got.

Phantombane
Sep 29, 2021

PeterWeller posted:

It's all so very broad stroke that I don't think you have anything to worry about. I've read most of the entries, and Fivemarks looks to have hit the nail on the head. It's about as engaged with the specifics of the faiths involved as Gundam 00 got.

Well, that's probably better than them going very in depth and specific but making it inadvertently offensive. I guess I'll find out more when I get around to reading the rest of it, but right now I'm probably more interested in what they might bring to the table mechanics-wise.

Speaking of getting around to things, I've been able to start up working on my South starter boxes again. Progress got halted for a good while due to medical issues, and it will still be worked on at a glacial pace because of that, but it's nice to be back on track.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Phantombane posted:

I'm probably more interested in what they might bring to the table mechanics-wise.

Most information on that front so far would be in part 21.

"Cherubim are the most common type of angel. They are bipedal, and have human-like proportions with two arms and a head. Based on the reports of Black Talon observers, several key features have been identified. Pilots enter the vehicle from a hatch on the back by the base of the neck. Cherubim are highly flexible units, capable of rapid weapon swaps in the field. Their small size and small battery system, however, mean the majority are restricted to a single main weapon in order to maximize operating time. Cherubim also typically have a system of jump jets which allow them to use quick controlled bursts of air to vault over small obstacles like walls and wrecked vehicles.

Reports on the next class of angels by Black Talon observers are more rare. It is not suspected that this is due to secrecy so much as observers simply not being around them. Called seraphim, these angels that feature more than two legs and lack arms. They are often described as looking like a tank on legs. Typical Seraphim feature an elongated central body with multiple [legs] protruding from the sides. Seraphim take the place of traditional tanks in the Shepherds’ arsenal. Interestingly, reports suggest that a Seraphim has only one pilot and its support virtue takes a more active role in running the vehicle."

They sound like they'll be closest to Black Talons crossed with Eden on the table, but that "single main weapon" comment is probably important. Not much yet, but the whole line was slated for "after 4th ed RPG comes out" and that's happened so I'm expecting more and soon.

Painting wise, I've got 2 of 6 of my chopped up and remixed Utopian Armigers done. Trying something wildly different than my usual style here. I wanted a retro space opera-y look, bright and alien, avoiding my usual mundane drab and grimy palette. It's really matte which is throwing off photos but I think it works. Base scale is off a smidge, but eh...

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Slyphic posted:

They sound like they'll be closest to Black Talons crossed with Eden on the table, but that "single main weapon" comment is probably important. Not much yet, but the whole line was slated for "after 4th ed RPG comes out" and that's happened so I'm expecting more and soon.

It's probably very likely since (4th ed rulebook spoilers) the last fiction piece of the 4ed rulebook has a NJ (formerly CEF) ship arriving through one of terra nova's gates

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Slyphic posted:

Painting wise, I've got 2 of 6 of my chopped up and remixed Utopian Armigers done. Trying something wildly different than my usual style here. I wanted a retro space opera-y look, bright and alien, avoiding my usual mundane drab and grimy palette. It's really matte which is throwing off photos but I think it works. Base scale is off a smidge, but eh...

This dude looks great. I like the strong later seasons of Robotech vibes in the color scheme.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Golden Gear competition just closed for entries. They've got all the submissions up in a thread on the forum.

Judging will be anytime between next week and middle of January. My own favorites:

Best Mini

I love the shade of yellow they pulled off, and the careful control of worn and perfectly smooth surfaces. Just drips with purposeful and intentional control of the paint job.

Best Group

The lower half of this collage, a nice cell shaded approach that lets the camo be camo without making the models hard to read.

Best Custom

A tremendous amount of customization going on, but you'd be hard pressed to pick it out if you didn't know the shape of the original models. And just a lovely homage.

Best Duelist

There's a lot of overlap between Custom and Duelist, but the overall components here aside from the weapon are mostly stock and it looks badass.

Honorable Mentions

The custom model is fun for playing "where did that piece come from?", it's got a Strongbad dragon arm going on, and I am genuinely impressed that they replicated chalk on iron for the eye and teeth on the side of the cockpit, something I have never gotten to look right at all.

And then this craziness for making me do a double take, no, those aren't photoshopped weapon effects, that's all physical props.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Slyphic posted:

I am genuinely impressed that they replicated chalk on iron for the eye and teeth on the side of the cockpit, something I have never gotten to look right at all.

I was helping a buddy do his Flames of War Russians and a white or light gray colored pencil made doing the turret slogans super-easy and had that lovely paint/chalk look to it if you haven't tried that. Just hit it with a swipe of something like Lahmian Medium after as it'll rub off otherwise.

Phantombane
Sep 29, 2021

Slyphic posted:

Best Group

The lower half of this collage, a nice cell shaded approach that lets the camo be camo without making the models hard to read.

Lots of cool minis in that Golden Gear contest!

I really like that turquoise black color on that Dark Cobra Julius duelist, and that Gilgamesh tank is definitely impressive though simultaneously a bit much I suppose.

From the other entries in that thread I also like that samurai sidewinder diorama, and the really brightly colored jaeger custom that has the mural like painting on it's shield.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

New version of the companion (optional and in progress) rules have come out, looks like flex actions (save an action for next turn, or use next turn's action early) will make less survivable units and weapons that don't throw a lot of dice like bazookas or snub cannons more viable.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I'm very curious to test try the new flex actions out, as the ineffectiveness of basic hunter/jagers has been a bugbear of mine. Other changes are mostly updating and replacing renders with finished painted pictures of models, and the new Wasserjager.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

New camera(phone) and my now pictures suck a lot less rear end. Got a game in with Dr. Tree and while I lost and was tabled, it was actually a pretty close affair in VP. MVP was that Fusilier (the brown tank), scoring 3 consecutive and important kill shots.

Phantombane
Sep 29, 2021
Oh no, did that Chargeur claim another high profile kill on that Vulture of yours, or was that one of the casualties of the Fusilier?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Chargeur crippled the Vulture, the Fusilier finished the job. One of these days I'm going to sufficiently mindfull of NuCoal's speed and effective reach.

Talons didn't roll over without a fight. The Dark Hyena linked rotary lasers spun around and deleted a ballsy Jerboa from the table. That turret is unbelievably nasty, as long as you can stop 4 different units from drawing a bead on it.

Phantombane
Sep 29, 2021

Slyphic posted:

Chargeur crippled the Vulture, the Fusilier finished the job. One of these days I'm going to sufficiently mindfull of NuCoal's speed and effective reach.

Talons didn't roll over without a fight. The Dark Hyena linked rotary lasers spun around and deleted a ballsy Jerboa from the table. That turret is unbelievably nasty, as long as you can stop 4 different units from drawing a bead on it.

Yeah I imagine most things lighter than a fire support gear are going to be very unhappy about being target by a linked MRL. Was that Jerboa that got disintegrated the one that wrecked all those hovertanks with a bazooka last time?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Slyphic posted:

New camera(phone) and my now pictures suck a lot less rear end. Got a game in with Dr. Tree and while I lost and was tabled, it was actually a pretty close affair in VP. MVP was that Fusilier (the brown tank), scoring 3 consecutive and important kill shots.

I love this city terrain. Is it from Dropship Commander?

I bought a bunch of N scale buildings for my table, and I just got a pair of Leopards with which to climb them. I'm hyped to try them out.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

The table is a mix of the Dropship Commander paper terrain and some 4Ground MDF buildings, but most of what you can see clearly in those photos is the DZC buildings. It was OoP for a while, but recently had a reprint, and it's still an insanely good value https://valhallahobby.com/shop/product/dropzone-commander-cityscape-2023/

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 17, 2024

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Oh wow. That is a good deal. Thanks!

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

Is there a good place to buy Heavy Gear models besides the DP9 website or random eBay sellers? Getting killed on the shipping.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

The Malthusian posted:

Is there a good place to buy Heavy Gear models besides the DP9 website or random eBay sellers? Getting killed on the shipping.

US? https://www.fortressminiaturesandgames.com/collections/dream-pod-9 They had a thing on their blog a while back about becoming an official US distributor for DP9, and I've been ordering from them for years with no complaints whatsoever. It's where I get 90% of my HG stuff from. Skimming my order history (to Texas), it ranges from $10 for a $70 order to $15 for a $350 order. Which beats the pants off my last DP9.com order of $17 on a $50 order.

Europe? https://shinygamesdistribution.com/products/ is the answer I see others repeat, but I have no first hand experience with them.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 24, 2024

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

My stuff is from shiny, they're fine - they're the european distro for HG rn so anyone over here selling it is getting it from them. They don't stock everything; it's generally better if you're running North as they have the most selection there - South is second but you're missing the larger tanks or anything that isn't a stock hun rn, and stuff like infantry is slightly more expensive. Never had any issues with shipping or whatever though. They also hand write thankyous on their receipts which is nice.

(NB: I'm in the UK where shiny is based, idk how their european shipping is).

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Robert always kicks me back a bunch of the shipping charge on the DP9 site.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

So I bought some caimans and they're very charming little minis; but I'm not really sure how I would model the command upgrade or the medical version. I'm planning to magnetise everything, I guess the medical caiman would just have the plate on top? (I'm not sure how good that looks though). There's also some antennae but there doesn't seem to be anywhere obvious where they would fit, and the little dome thing that looks like comms equipment replaces the turrets, which I guess is how things probably used to work.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

The medical version you just use the plate that covers the top turret mount and paint a cross on it. The command version uses the satellite dish, which is a nightmare to build. It's a dish with a center post and three tiny resin supports. I think I broke both my masts while trying to replace the supports with wire. And iirc, it mounts between the two roof rack looking things on top.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Slyphic posted:

The medical version you just use the plate that covers the top turret mount and paint a cross on it. The command version uses the satellite dish, which is a nightmare to build. It's a dish with a center post and three tiny resin supports. I think I broke both my masts while trying to replace the supports with wire. And iirc, it mounts between the two roof rack looking things on top.

Ohhh, now I see. I thought the dish was the a base for some generic looking comms stuff cause of how well it fits onto the regular turret mount. Thanks, that makes a lot more sense.

Edit: thinking about it, I wonder if I could just kitbash a mamba satup from my army box bits - might save me some trouble and it wouldn't block the turret from the back.

Disproportionation fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 19, 2024

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Still playing and painting when I can find time from my stupid tumultuous life.

Last game was a total blowout loss as the EAZ (CEF occupied South) vs NuCoal and Eden/Caprice. Between struggling with how-to-camera and the rolling disaster of my strategies, I only got pics from the start of the game.

Eden melee is super nasty. I had 10TV models taking out 30+ tanks in one hit from half the board away with nothing whatsoever I could do about it. They badly need their jetpack rating reduced (by half, imho) That NC bastard in the yellow construction gear continues to dunk on me as well, but at least there I always feel like it's because I was goaded into over extending.

Meanwhile hobby side, got a pair of Anolises (cheap recon gears) and the rest of Special Forces stealth gears painted

I'm usually pretty good about writing down my painting notes either in a notebook or on my blog preferably, but I somehow forgot my camo recipe I used on my Chameleons and so you can see the first through third attempts in the middle there. The Lidded Iguana on the right middle was totally wrong colors, the Snakeye left middle I forgot that the stripes need to be parallel not crosshatch, and then finally the guy in the middle I did it right.

Meanwhile Project: Jager Gang mk II is underway. I scored a 5lb box of random metal HG models and there's enough parts there to totally replace all my Jagers with metal variants. It's pretty huge upgrade in posing and detailing from the waist down. 2/8 built.

Phantombane
Sep 29, 2021

Slyphic posted:

Eden melee is super nasty. I had 10TV models taking out 30+ tanks in one hit from half the board away with nothing whatsoever I could do about it. They badly need their jetpack rating reduced (by half, imho) That NC bastard in the yellow construction gear continues to dunk on me as well, but at least there I always feel like it's because I was goaded into over extending.

I was initially a little puzzled by this, since I hadn't really seen anyone bring up melee as being that great in the game before.

Then I went and actually looked at the rules again and realized that a 6 point constable with 3-4 points of upgrades can be swinging against a vehicle for something like 7d6 with a damage 8 AP5 HSG within a true 18 inch threat radius, and the vehicle likely only gets 1d6 for defense.

Then I went and looked further and realized almost none of the defensive skills and equipment actually work against melee attacks either.

Overall, that constable is quite the guided missile! I wonder what you are supposed to do about units like that? E-War seems ok if you have extended sensor range and can get a lock, seeing as haywire disables both top speed and auxiliary equipment like the jetpack. 9 inch threat radius that has to actually respect terrain seems like it would be a lot more manageable to deal with.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Phantombane posted:

a 6 point constable with 3-4 points of upgrades can be swinging against a vehicle for something like 7d6 with a damage 8 AP5 HSG within a true 18 inch threat radius, and the vehicle likely only gets 1d6 for defense.
Very literally exactly what happened. Constable vs GREL-crewed HT-68. He was throwing 7 dice, I had 1 defense, I rolled a 2, he rolled an 11, for a grand total of 17 damage (18 would have Overkilled it)

Phantombane posted:

I wonder what you are supposed to do about units like that? E-War seems ok if you have extended sensor range and can get a lock, seeing as haywire disables both top speed and auxiliary equipment like the jetpack.
e-War and 'just shoot it first to cripple it' are the answers I've mostly found, but neither one has actually worked for me. The Warlock golem is only 2pts more than a Constable, and on top of ECM+ for both the defense bubble and a chance to counter any hacking attempt, it gets airdrop to start even close to targets and it has a better piloting skill which you can use instead of gunnery in melee attacks.

Eden's current faction rules are a legit problem they need to address, but the jousting rule was added 2019, it didn't see much play because the faction was barely extant even at that point and then the quarantine and then the chief rules dude got dragged into the launch of the 4e RPG. I expect the rules will hit 3.2 around the time the New Jerusalem faction shows up in the rules which iirc is this summer.

Phantombane
Sep 29, 2021

Slyphic posted:

e-War and 'just shoot it first to cripple it' are the answers I've mostly found, but neither one has actually worked for me. The Warlock golem is only 2pts more than a Constable, and on top of ECM+ for both the defense bubble and a chance to counter any hacking attempt, it gets airdrop to start even close to targets and it has a better piloting skill which you can use instead of gunnery in melee attacks.

I didn't actually notice the Warlock earlier, that definitely seems like a bit much.

Slyphic posted:

Eden's current faction rules are a legit problem they need to address, but the jousting rule was added 2019, it didn't see much play because the faction was barely extant even at that point and then the quarantine and then the chief rules dude got dragged into the launch of the 4e RPG. I expect the rules will hit 3.2 around the time the New Jerusalem faction shows up in the rules which iirc is this summer.

I had already gotten the impression that Eden was a relatively newer and more divergent faction with limited model support/availability, so I'm not terribly surprised by their rules being kind of untuned, though that timeline is kind of weird since that means they've both been here awhile but also don't seem to have been played much.

I do hope 3.2 reshuffles things a bit in general, the various parent faction rules seem pretty lopsided in places, and some of the sublists look like they could use some re tuning. With just the Terra Novan factions alone you can just look at South's main faction rules versus all the other ones and it's weirdly barren by comparison.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Some good soul has restarted the unofficial wiki at a host less cancerous than Fandom - https://heavygear.wiki.gg/wiki/Heavy_Gear_Wiki

It's mostly excerpts from the original Vehicle Compendiums, which is peak Heavy Gear details. If it gets filled out a bit more, I'll move it to the OP.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Slyphic posted:

Last game was a total blowout loss as the EAZ (CEF occupied South) vs NuCoal and Eden/Caprice. Between struggling with how-to-camera and the rolling disaster of my strategies, I only got pics from the start of the game.

How is the EAZ subfaction? It's something I've been considering for my south stuff because shiny isn't currently stocking much in the way of southern tanks and I was planning on getting a CEF starter box down the line at some point anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Disproportionation posted:

How is the EAZ subfaction?
For passerby reference: https://www.dp9community.com/gear-up-blog/eaz-earth-administrative-zone-sub-list

Conceptually an Earth occupied Southern Territories appeals to me. Be the biggest blatant bad guys possible and all, really give the other forces a simple causus belli. Execution is pretty good too, though tricky. My beloved HT-68 can only be included as part of a full 6 action primary combat group. The Legion Noire SO deployment incoherency is pretty cool. It helps that I just have South and CEF forces and it was an easy way to justify fielding them together. Just like how it's easy to run my Black Talons and South units as a Black Talon Strike Team force.