Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Fixed, thank you.

I'll leave the voting up for one more day. I have the next installment of The Mad King ready to go but I'll wait until after the week has ended properly in-game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'm in favour of the ritual as long as we can call the resulting heir something suitable like Mordred.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Do the ritual. Ivo already wants to burn us at stake for witchcraft, might as well give him a reason to.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

The vote seems obvious at this point so I'm going to say don't do the ritual purely for the smug satisfaction I will get later from saying 'I told you so'.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I'm going to close the vote now. Thank you everyone for your input

Ritual
Yay - 7 Oh...
Nay - 2

Upgrades
Moat - 6
None - 1

Supply Merchant
Refuse - 7

Mercenaries
Refuse - 7

Itchy Peasant
Touch Him - 4
Give Gold - 1
Refuse - 2

Pastor
Send Stan - 4
Give Gold - 2

Stan
Anywhere - 1
Kolovorak - 1
Rue (East) - 1

Gort posted:

I'm in favour of the ritual as long as we can call the resulting heir something suitable like Mordred.

I'm pretty certain that we can't name the child but we could always give it a nickname?

Black Robe posted:

...why is the Queen consulting this unknown witch, and not our own proven agent? Is this mysterious matter so urgent it can't wait a few days for Alena to return?

Alena's duties are to the King. The witch employed by the Queen is going to be a midwife and there's also the ritual to prepare for.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Ritual
Yay - 7 Oh...
Nay - 2

Well, this bodes well. Say goodbye to the happy ending!

Oh, and probably the king's wife too, given the only description of the ritual, is that it totally won't hurt. I mean, she'll be screaming in pain, but her soul will totally be elsewhere, so it's not really her in pain.

Malah
May 18, 2015

GunnerJ posted:

We're already getting accused of witchcraft for dumb luck in battle, may as well take advantage of the black arts when we can. Yes for ritual.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Let's Play: Yes, Your Grace - (76) Week Thirty-Nine Summary

Here we go again, going down this road we've only ever known. Apologies, I saw a white snake on the way back to the council chambers and started composing a melody to myself. We have much to go over so let's get cracking. I'd like your thoughts on the upgrades, please.

Black Robe: Dig the moat while we can.

Rogue AI Goddess: Do not build new fortifications. We can do that later.

Bregor: If we have the gold to support it, I suggest funding the moat construction. Let us not forget that defending against Ivo's attack is our most important duty.

Slaan: Yes, yes dig the moat. You We shall be well protected by it in the battle. Which I am surely going to be attending to support the King. Ahem.

FoolyCharged: build the moat

jkq: Construct the moat, we've been saving up for this after all.

I will send the order out to the construction crew in the morning. What shall we tell the supply merchant?

Rogue AI Goddess: Do not buy supplies. We are in a good position to grow our own.

Slaan: No supplies for we have plenty, the greedy PEASANT

jkq:Reject the supplies, we seem to be saving up quite nicely. I feel we need the gold more than the supplies right now.

Black Robe: Refuse the supplies.

Bregor: We have no need for extra supplies at present, send the trader away.

FoolyCharged: We have no need for extra supplies at present, send the trader away.

No doubt the greedy little... helpful merchant will be back to try again soon. As will the mercenaries if we don't accept their offer. What say you to their offer?

jkq: Reject the mercenaries for now, we can raise at least 20 soldiers in 2 weeks already.

FoolyCharged: No mercs, they are maybe useful, and the defenses are a much higher likelihood of making the difference.

Slaan: No soldiers they just want our money to turn and run

Bregor: Mercenaries again, eh? Would that their number be two-thousand rather than twenty. Reject the sellswords.

Rogue AI Goddess: Do not buy soldiers. We are in a good position to conscript our own.

Black Robe: Tell the mercenaries no for now, hopefully in two weeks we'll be able to afford them and still have time to reinforce the gate.

I'll tell the King to refuse their offer for now. Maybe you will change your minds when the treasury is more healthier and when the looming sense of doom reaches its peak. Let's move on to the itchy peasant. This may be one of the only times that we can convince the King to do something like this, should we go ahead with convincing the King into going along with it?

FoolyCharged Go ahead and touch the smelly sick dude, just be sure to wash your hands with warm soapy water for 30s the second he leaves.

Bregor: His Grace should not touch someone afflicted with a terrible rash! And gold is scarce as it is. Maybe the dark witch could help this poor soul? As it is, there's naught we can do. Deny the peasant's request for gold or a kingly touch.

Black Robe: Get the king to touch the weird itchy fellow, it'll make him feel better and won't cost us anything.

jkq: Have the King touch the itchy peasant, but remind him to wash thoroughly afterwards. The peasant should probably wash up too, just in case.

Slaan: Throw the itchy PEASANT out. Disgusting!

Rogue AI Goddess: Pay for a healer. Let a professional handle it. That itch sounds unpleasant and contagious, and an epidemic is the last thing we need during the siege.

If only you could all be there to see the look on the Kings face when I tell him. At least you will all get to witness it when it happens. We may as well kill two birds with one stone with the last couple of items on the agenda. After all, one decision is reliant on the other. What have you all decided on regarding the pastor? If you have decided that you want to make Stan free for scouting then you will also need to pick a location as well.

Bregor: Our people would be uplifted by a glorious new Kolovrat, and our own general is as strong as a mule! Ask Stan to assist the priest.

jkq: Send Stan and his soldiers to help the pastor. We can have Alena and Velek search for the herbs once they return.

Slaan: Pay for the expansion. We foresighted nobles should reward those few, very few, times the PEASANTS plan ahead and pay for things themselves. They were stupid in not paying for the stone transportation, of course, but that's expected of dumb PEASANTS.

Have Stan search the East herb location for the witch

Rogue AI Goddess: Pay for stone transports. Let the professionals handle it.

Send Stan out to recruit. This is the part where we conscript our own.

FoolyCharged: Let Stan be the man. The man who lifts heavy things. send Stan to kolovrak.

Black Robe: Send Stan to help, then we can recruit troops from them.

I will send a message to Stan shortly, he and his squad can accompany the pastor back to his village. We are done for another week. Thank you all for joining me once more. I will see you all back here again next week!

Thank you for the offer but we won't be accepting your offer this week.

Not a problem at all, Your Grace. I visit you again in some time.

I'm not interested in your offer either.

Fine, we will be back in two weeks. Maybe you will change your mind by then. Or get our gold ready.

Very well. Approach, and be healed!

Oooh!

I... I think I feel it working, Your Grace! I shall come back sometime and let you know how the healing process went.

I'm afraid I can't provide the gold. But I can offer the help of my General. He should help you organise the delivery.

Oh, thank you, Your Grace! Your help is very much appreciated.

I think we should do it.

For the ritual to happen, I will need to gather several ingredients. The list is long, but most things I can obtain myself. The more exotic elements, I will need your help with, Your Grace.

What do you require?

We will need to make a brew that will help Queen Aurelea leave her body. We need a special kind of mushroom. It is a distinctive, vibrant blue. It likes to grow in damp places. I'm sure you can find one around the castle. We will also use the Herb of grace, or simply Rue if you prefer. The strong smell will remind the Queen, whilst under the spell, of where she is and what is happening. It will also drive evil spirits away. You won't get it from any merchant. The smell puts off customers wanting to buy other wares, so you will need to find one yourself. I will mark on your map where your agents are likely to find it. Tell them to look for bluish leaves with yellow flowers. We will also need two phials of betony oil. It has the effect of easing pain, so these will be a gift for the old spirit. One mugwort oil, also known as women's sage. A gift for the spirit of the grown woman, helps with the cramps. Travelling merchants may often have such oils amongst their wares. The most difficult to get, will definitely be the basilisk's egg. And we need two.

Basilisks?

Don't be surprised. Even monsters want to have heirs, and so they lay eggs. The problem is... People usually prefer to get rid of these creatures, not keeping their young around. Many people walk through your halls. I'm sure there will be someone strange enough to offer these, so worry not, Your Grace. The basilisk's eggs will serve as a gift to the spirits! One for the young one, and one for the grown lady. We need two, so they hopefully get the hint. One last thing... I would recommend that you find yourself a spell book.

I thought you would be the one casting spells?

Yes. But the good spirits will want to hear some of these incantations from the father's mouth. The book is called "Performance of Rituals: Curses and Healing" by Jurko Zaremba. He's a renowned scholar in the field of alternative medicine. Make sure to read it, if a copy falls into your hands.

Very well then. When will we be ready?

Magic is involved, of course, but we are still dealing here with delicate matters. We need to wait for the foetus to develop.

Don't worry Eryk, I will be ready before Atana arrives at our gates. I can feel it. Then it's just up to you to repel the enemies.

This must be the mushroom the witch spoke about. I'll just grab one.

The book was called "Performance of Rituals: Curses and Healing". A, B, C... It's not here.

S,T, U... It's not here.

M, No, O... Ah, here it is. "Performance of Rituals: Curses and Healing" by Jurko Zaremba.

It's Aurelea's wool. Maybe I can make something out of this.

Darling?

Remind me again, what do you need from me? I don't have a good memory.

I don't blame you, it's a lot of things. We need: Bright blue mushrooms. The Herb of Grace. Two betony oils. Mugwort oil. Two basilisk eggs. The spell book "Performance of Rituals: Curses and Healing" by Jurko Zaremba. I think that's all!

I think I have found these. Is this what Delilah meant? We had some growing in the dungeon.

Yes! I knew I had seen them somewhere!

The Herb of Grace. Or Rue, I think...? Where did Delilah say this stuff grows?

She said it grows near wooded areas.

There was two betony oils and a mugwort oil - where do I get those from?

I think you will have to buy them from visiting merchants.

Why do we even need basilisk eggs?

I think Delilah said they were going to be gifts for the spirits.

Where can I get them?

Probably from a merchant.

The book. I think this is the one. I have to say... This book doesn't sound very convincing.

Ahh, it's going to be fine. All you need is to remember the incantation, the rest you can ignore!

I hope it'll all work out.

It will! Just get the items Delilah asked for.

End of Week Thirty-Seven!

Inventory

Wool - I could make something for Aurelea out of this. I just need to find some needles and a piece of fabric.

Fluorescent Shroom - It's supposed to help Aurelea "leave the body"... Hopefully not for good. I'd better leave it until the Ritual.

Spellbook - "Performance of Rituals: Curses and Healing". Is there anything about getting an heir... Hm... Ah, this sounds like what the Witch was talking about. Rodzanice look after pregnant women and midwives. They always come in the form of three spirits - a little girl, a young woman and an old hag. Rodzanice visit a newborn three days after birth. They decide the future fate of the child, so it's a good idea to ready gifts and a feast upon their arrival. Three days after... I don't think we will be able to do anything after that time... Oh, maybe this is it...

Conjuring Rodzanice prior to the child's birth is a risky venture, but if successful, they might help with more than just the future fate of the child. Instead, Rodzanice can affect the characteristics of the newborn such as: type or colour of hair, eyes or even sex!

The following incantation needs to be performed for successful conjuration of the spirits: It is not yet time for you to come. We beg forgiveness for calling upon you. The child of her womb is yet unborn. We ask to give us what we desire. Let the sky turn red, and the water twist black. Let the mountain break under the manhood of our child! Let the child, the grown and old come to us to do our bidding.

I must warn you, this is a theory once heard 'at the bottom of a jug' and no written texts describe such practice. It does, however, come from a trusted source, a lifelong friend of mine, and therefore I have decided to include it in this book.

Disclaimer: The author and publishing company of "Performance of Rituals: Curses and Healing" are not responsible for any side effects nor for the damages caused for incorrect performance of the rituals.

Huh. An interesting read...

Archives

The Ritual

Itching Sickness

Aurelea

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Thisisfine.book

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I'll just be over here practicing my best "I told you so".

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

What could go wrong?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
In my defense, if I'd known it would require a bunch of chores, I would have said nah :v:

One notable thing though is that the witch wants two eggs as gifts for the young girl and the adult woman, but the spellbook says there are three spirits. Nothing for the old lady? Will she be offended at not getting an egg too...?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

What could go wrong?

Chaos ending go :twisted:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

GunnerJ posted:

In my defense, if I'd known it would require a bunch of chores, I would have said nah :v:

One notable thing though is that the witch wants two eggs as gifts for the young girl and the adult woman, but the spellbook says there are three spirits. Nothing for the old lady? Will she be offended at not getting an egg too...?

We're in it for the long haul now. You all best get these chores done as the Queen is going to go through the ritual regardless of whether we're prepared or not.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Yes, Your Grace - The Mad King (02)

So they do have a King after all... And where there's a King, an army follows. What promise are they babbling about, anyway?

I don't know.

Hmm... Whatever their imaginings are, they will probably come looking for them. The problem is... Our treasury has seen better times. Seeking allies might be out best bet. I will let you get on with the audits, and I'll make some preparations in the meantime. I will be in the Council Chamber, Your Grace.

I will let you get on with the audits, and I'll make some preparations in the meantime. I will be in the Council Chamber, Your Grace.

I come with a business proposition, Your Grace. I need 12 gold to hire men and buy resources to build a new tavern in Branca. You see... the tavern will serve as more than just a way for locals to get drunk. The village is really well positioned. It has many visitors, but they never stay for long. A new tavern will change that and will guarantee a steady income. I will share the profits, once I start making money on the business.

Take this gold and let the business grow!

Oh, wonderful! You won't regret it, Your Grace! I will get right on with the work! 8 solid tables, 13 beds... We could make a cheaper, shared chamber... Oh, it's going to work well!

Hey there... Silly-pickle!

I'm not silly!

You're right. You're a Silly-pickle!

Uuuugh. Your Grace.

Cedani, I always tell you not to play here.

But this is my... most cherished place in the cas... fortress! Oh, you have the most finest items here, Father! Pleeeeeease! Let me stay here! I won't break anything, I promise!

Go and play in the gardens.

Father...

Don't grumble... Go, go, go. I'll see you in the gardens later.

Your Grace, I have found the son of the peasant. He was lost in a nearby forest, looking for home. He was weakened and thirsty, but should be back to full strength soon enough.

Hardly any light can get through these windows. These halls used to shine, Eryk.

FATHER! Look what she did! Asalia has put... faeces under my pillow. How can I ever wash it off?! Why did you tell her I told on her?!

Not now, Lorsulia. I'm busy.

You never have time!

We'll deal with that later. Scuttle off for now.

But- Ugh!

If you can't even control your children, then I'm surprised you still sit where you do. And that I'm still standing where I am.

Forgive me, we have had a lot going on recently.

I'm asking if you're going to make me stand like a commoner here.

Oh, of course. Let's talk in the Council Room.

Huh, you have a lot of old books... What can be so important that you couldn't just send me a pigeon?

I will be straightforward with this. I need an army. Radovia has threatened me and my family.

Ha! Radovia?! Here?

Yes, they-

They're simple men. Untrained. Tell you what... I will give you three thousand soldiers. My army can deal with anything they throw its way.

What?! Just like that?

Feh, of course not! You see... My son, Ivo, has been crying and moaning to me about finding him a princess. He's always bothering me. It's about time he grew up. A wife would keep him busy. Out of my way. Lorsulia would be good enough for him... She could teach him a thing or two... I also want access to the fine collection of books you have here... Plus anything else you can find.

You still seek cures for your wife? Her condition hasn't improved?

Well... That does not concern you. You get an army - I get Lorsulia and access to these books.

So an army, for a marriage in return...

Yes, of course. You catch on quickly. I'll send my armies right away.

Fine.

I will send an army straight away, but I want access to the archives. The marriage can be organised later... Let me get lost in your books, then. I think I will start from this room. Let's see... What do we have here...?

Fine, you can find me in the Throne Room if you need me.

Let's see... What do we have here...?

Your grace, my daughter is back! I have paid these thugs the ransom. I was nervous as ever in my life, but surprisingly it all went smoothly! They got what they wanted. I don't think they will be a problem anymore. As a thank you... I actually scraped together some gold. Here, take this 14 gold.

Oh, it's you.

There is something I need to tell you... We have no choice... You must marry Ivo, the Prince of Atana. It's... I'm sorry...

What do you mean? Don't I get a say in this?

We need this marriage to secure an army that will defend us. A war is coming.

So I'm going to be sacrificed? Did you even consider any other options? Did you even try to offer something other than your daughter?

Well...

I knew it! I knew the day I'm old enough, you would just sell me to the highest bidder! You've been waiting for this! You can't wait to get rid of me, can you? I wish I was a common girl, living in a village, having nothing to worry about! Being able to marry the one I love, not some snob I've never met! Stupid wedding! Stupid Prince! You're stupid!

Darling?

Lorsulia is getting married.

What? No! Did Beyran find us? We can't let him!

Lorsulia will marry Ivo, the Prince of Atana. I made a treaty with Talys. Marriage for army in return.

No! We cannot let her marry a barbarian! Eryk, you said you would find a way! Wait... Ivo? That's... That's good! That's great! Ivo is a Prince after all and if Lorsulia is married to Ivo, then Beyran can't do anything. Talys' army might simply scare them away. Oh, this is fantastic news, Eryk! Wonderful! Who's going to prepare the wedding? Guests, menus... We need to decorate the throne room. We need to buy flowers and decorations! Ohhh! And we need a band too!

I'll take care of that. We'll see how our treasury looks at the end of the week.

Does Lorsulia know yet?

Yes... she didn't take it well.

Oh, but what does she know? She wouldn't want to marry that barbaric Beyran. Who knows what Radovians do with their wives? Wouldn't surprise me if they cut them up and eat them for dinner the next day! Give her time. She'll come around to the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

There is a third choice in nicknames for Cedani. I could have also gone with calling her "potato-head".