Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have a Dell Optiplex tower PC in my office that my mother-in-law has tasked me with backing up in the hopes that we can locate some funeral plans.

The computer boots just fine and I can access the drive normally, but doing a simple copy/paste of C:\ isn't going as swimmingly as I hoped.

Is there a tool or method I should be using to complete this task? I just want all of the files and the ability to see them all on a separate computer without having to worry about file permissions or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

The computer boots just fine and I can access the drive normally, but doing a simple copy/paste of C:\ isn't going as swimmingly as I hoped.

Is there a tool or method I should be using to complete this task? I just want all of the files and the ability to see them all on a separate computer without having to worry about file permissions or anything.

Are you having a permissions issue or is the file transfer just stalling out?

Copying too many large files at once could cause issues or if the hard drive was damaged/failing the transfer could fail.

If I was worried about permissions I'd copy over a small amount of files on a USB drive and see if they had issues being opened up on another device.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I already tried plugging it in to an external enclosure and on my win11 machine it wouldn't let me into certain folders due to permissions errors.

When I plug a storage drive into the source PC and try to copy/paste the folders in c:\, it errors out with a "cannot complete operation" dialog box but doesn't tell me what happened so its difficult to resume the operation.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I already tried plugging it in to an external enclosure and on my win11 machine it wouldn't let me into certain folders due to permissions errors.

I'd try taking full ownership of the drive by following the steps in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peS90MIUtb8

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
By "all the files" you mean all the files that are relevant yeah? No way you need everything.

Open c:/documents and settings/Username in file explorer, hold CTRL to select the "desktop" "my documents" and "favorites" folders. Likely this is all you need. Copy only those 3 folders to your usb STICK. If you need more files, check under the c drive for folders that are NOT program files, program data, windows, or recycle bin. Copy those folders that are not listed and check them for the files you need.

If you still can't find what you're looking for it MAY BE elsewhere on the drive. You can always start a search from the start menu for *.doc or *.docx etc...