Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Problem description: Computer restarts randomly when playing certain games if any other software is loaded or running in the background. Example: I'll be playing World of Warcraft or Diablo 4 and suddenly my screen is black like the power went out, followed by my motherboard logo / windows loading up shortly after. This has been going on for about 6 months, and appears to only happen when playing games launched from Battle.net, but may not be exclusive to that as most of the other games I play are not gpu/cpu intense.

This crashing happens at random, as there are times I will got 2-3 days without anything, then have 1 crash ad ay, or once in a great while I will have 3-4 crashes in an hour span.

Once when this occurred, it wiped all of my audio drivers and required a reformat to recover them as the computer would not recognize the devices again.

Heres a quick clip from event log on the fatal error:
"A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 4

The details view of this entry contains further information." Event ID 18. OpCode Info.

I have seen different APIC ID's but do not have them handy, but can dig them up if they would be helpful, I believe the majority of them have APIC ID4. Which makes me think my processor is bad but I am not good enough with PC's to be 100% I'm not reading the wrong codes.

Attempted fixes: Re-did the thermal paste on my CPU even though temperatures never ran high from what I could see or in logs. Ran bios updates, software updates, etc, on everything I could find. Reformatted twice to see if it was a bad install however problem reoccurs still.

Recent changes: Nothing, these problems began around November and have been happening infrequently since then. I've been trying to fix it over this time but at this point I've exhausted every resource and I'm at the point of buying a new CPU/MOBO/RAM, but worry that maybe it's my GPU and I'm going to be out a bunch of money.
--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro, Version 22H2

System specs:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard - MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory - Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Storage - Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card - Gigabyte AORUS MASTER GeForce RTX 3080 10GB 10 GB Video Card
Case - Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply - EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Case Fan x5 - Noctua F12 PWM chromax.black.swap
Monitor - AOC AG271QG 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Monitor

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

You're on the latest motherboard BIOS right?

You could run https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_sentinel_trial.php to check drive health and also https://www.memtest.org/ to check RAM health.

Replacing the GPU would be a reasonable bet but it's not a guaranteed fix.

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Zogo posted:

You're on the latest motherboard BIOS right?

You could run https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_sentinel_trial.php to check drive health and also https://www.memtest.org/ to check RAM health.

Replacing the GPU would be a reasonable bet but it's not a guaranteed fix.

Yeah I ran a motherboard bios update a few weeks ago and it seems to have fixed MOST of them. Disk/Mem show fine with those apps HOWEVER I ran the UserBenchmark thing and on one of the 3 times I ran it, showed my drive randomly at 17% performance but not the following two times.

Want to avoid buying another GPU jsut to test, tried swapping it with another GPU but couldn't get the error to trigger, suddenly it only seems to want to pop if I'm streaming video while playing a game, but that could just be luck of the draw.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
You're probably in warranty on all your stuff. Also if you bought it with a decent credit card, they often have electronic devices warranties that last a year longer.

It's sounding like it's going to be your cpu or it's power delivery. You can run "in place" "small fft" in prime 95 to find an error with your cpu's math.
Or get an El cheapo mb off Amazon with a good return policy to test if it does similar things with your cpu

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

down1nit posted:

You're probably in warranty on all your stuff. Also if you bought it with a decent credit card, they often have electronic devices warranties that last a year longer.

It's sounding like it's going to be your cpu or it's power delivery. You can run "in place" "small fft" in prime 95 to find an error with your cpu's math.
Or get an El cheapo mb off Amazon with a good return policy to test if it does similar things with your cpu

I did not know about the CC warranty but this is great to know, thank you.

I may have "fixed" it however I'm not sure if it's just pretending to work. XMP on my motherboard was randomly off after the last crash and upon turning that on, I had the crash once the same day but not a single time since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Oh nice! Bios settings are sometimes reset to default if the board fails a boot or two. Also, Dual bios boards will literally use a different bios chip that has never been touched, it's kinda a neat idea just in case something goes wrong with the first one.

Hope it keeps working