Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

I'll be going back to work soon and my wife and I are having trouble coming up with easy meals, dinners in particular. We have some old stanbys but we're getting bored with them.

It's got to be a complete meal, starch, veg, protein (not necessarily meat). We like working with fresh ingredients, so I'm not looking for suggestions for ready-to-eat products.

Bonus points for the following:
- low process, shouldn't take long to get on the table?
- easy clean up (one pot etc)?
- doable ahead of time but still fresh tasting?

Yes, it's a tall order for all of that in one meal but I'd love a little help brainstorming, and know what works for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCourteous
Jan 15, 2009
Turkey Chili

As with all NYT recipes, save that bad boy as a PDF before you hit the paywall.

Typically I'd rather fast than substitute for beef/pork, but the robust flavors of chili make it a perfect candidate for doing so.

This is not a true one-pot. You want a nice heavy skillet white hot on the side in which you will (1) brown the turkey, (2) move the turkey to your pot before adding oil to saute your onions and garlic and (3) move the onions and garlic to the pot before deglazing. Then you dump that deglazed goodness into the pot and you're done with the skillet (which you'll have time to clean between adding the peppers and the beans).

Green peppers are quick to clean and cut down to your preferred size.

Fresh tomatoes should be used if you enjoy doing a lot of extra work only to end up with less flavor than if you had used canned diced tomatoes.

Dark red kidney beans look nice. Complete their protein with brown rice as a bed for the chili.

The rice is an extra pot or a cooker clean. Oops. It's still a super fast meal that leaves highly-contested leftovers every week at my house and it meets the main requirement for most of my recipes: all the the ingredients can be bought cheaply at ALDI.

CaptainCourteous fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 19, 2023

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
For a very quick dinner, I usually make a quick curry with a couple of tablespoons of Patak's curry paste, and I use frozen peas and cauliflower florets (no mess cutting the cauliflower and it's usually cheaper and fresher than normal cauliflower, as well). Great to make ahead and it also freezes well.

I don't really measure stuff, but this is the order in which it goes into the pan, it's really quick to make and it hardly needs any preparation.
for about 3 meals I use 1 can (400 gram, or about 14 oz?) of diced tomatoes and 2 tablespoons patak curry paste (any of them, lately I'm into the garam masala curry paste). For all the other stuff, take into account that is for about three meals, so don't skimp on the veggies! ;-)

vegetable oil
onion(s), diced
garlic, chopped or grated
ginger root, chopped or grated
red and/or green pepers, diced (add to taste)
cauliflower florets
peas
curry paste
can of diced tomatoes
can of chickpeas, drained (you can add another protein if you want of course)
coconutmilk (optional)
cilantro, chopped coursely

serve with rice

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

A quick meal I like is something I call Sausage, Taters, and Kraut.

Get a pack of ring sausage, or kielbasa or similiar. Cut it into chunks or bite size pieces.
Get some potatoes, depending on size 3-4 if you're cooking for two. Cut them into nice chunks, not too thin.
Get a can of saurkraut, or if you have a really good market or make you own, about 12 oz worth.

Throw it all in a pan, simmer covered on medium heat for an hour (or until potatoes are done).

I love this stuff. Quick to make and tasty.

I know you said you'd prefer one-pot meals, but if you're okay with using a second pot to cook noodles (I usually use standard egg noodles, but you can always substitute for your preference), you can pan-cook sausage with veggies (cali-mix or garden veg, whatever you'd prefer) and put it on top of the noodles.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

CaptainCourteous posted:

Turkey Chili

As with all NYT recipes, save that bad boy as a PDF before you hit the paywall.

:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

:tipshat: nice!

And thanks for the ideas so far!