Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Problem description: I was messing around with the XMP settings in the BIOS, and after initially booting with the new settings it got a green screen for a hypervisor error. After this, it just would not boot whatsoever. The fans and misc lights turn on, but the USB never receives power and theres no video. My motherboard even has some debug leds but they never light up so I don't know if that's indicative of anything. I've had this system for a couple years now, so warranty isn't an option.

Attempted fixes: I've reset the bios, naturally, and I have attempted to flash the bios using the external flash procedure, but I can never tell if it works because there's not a lot of feedback, the instructions i find are slightly contradictory and what happens doesn't match whats suppose to happen, but its worked in the past. I've made sure the flash drive is flashed with a fat32 partition, and I've tried three different releases from the past year to no avail, renaming both the zip file that you download as well as the binary.

Recent changes: Just the aforementioned xmp changes

--

Operating system: Windows 11

System specs: I have a 5000 series ryzen 7, and a MSI B550 Gaming Carbon Wifi motherboard

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I've reset the bios, naturally...

What method did you use? Some motherboards have a button or jumper to use. If that didn't work then you could try removing the battery for a few minutes.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
If your usb stick has an activity light it helps troubleshooting drastically. Especially for bios recovery. Rule of thumb is to format an 8 gig partition as Fat32, put the bios image in the root and try. You may have to rename the file to BIOS.IMG or something.

Are you plugged into your video card for display output? Does the caps lock toggle on the keyboard?

Remove and reinstall ram, check atx power on the video card and motherboard. Try with one ram. Remove video card and battery (carefully!) and try again.