Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, my mom is looking to digitize a boatload of old photos we found cleaning out my grandparents' house after their deaths. We need a good scanner. The photos are all prints, no negatives, so it doesn't need the ability to do filmstock.

Mainly I'm looking for reliability with a reasonable price. It doesn't need to be included with a printer - she already has one.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I use an Epson Perfection V550, but that's out of production. The V600 seems to have similar specs, though.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I also had a Epson V600, worked decently and scanned both regular documents/photos (of course) and film negatives with an adapter if you want to do that as well.

Depending on how fast or slow you expect to go through all of these photos, I'd consider getting them professionally processed and scanned. Scanning both prints and film is pretty tedious since cleaning dust off everything is a giant pain.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Thanks for the suggestions!

My mom is having surgery this summer that will have her sitting around recuperating, so she wants something to do. She decided scanning boxes of old photos was that thing :v:

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
I concur with the V600 recommendations. I run a digitization lab and we have 8 of them for all-purpose scanning. We put thousands of documents through them a month and they keep on trucking.