Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
Hi All

Some years back I purchased a 12V Cummins engine from the USA and imported it to Australia for use in an engine conversion. To get the vehicle on road I need to prove provenance of the engine and tie it to an emssions standed (USA EPA Standard accepted). I have the VIN of the donor vehicle.

Bit stumped by all the online title search sites, they all seem dodgey. The EPA does not have Certificate of Confirmity's on file for 1998 model vehicles.

Any ideas or how I can get a good copy of the title and such a certificate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

What state was the donor vehicle titled in? Start with that's state's DMV for a copy of the title. You will probably need the cooperation of whoever the car was last titled to, if not you.

I have no idea on the certificate. Try contacting the vehicle manufacturer?

Are there no Cummins engines over there less bound in red tape?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I would try Cummins for emissions certification as that's their responsibility. The engine has an engine serial number. Your local AU Cummins dealer/distributor might be able to look it up.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I would try Cummins for emissions certification as that's their responsibility. The engine has an engine serial number. Your local AU Cummins dealer/distributor might be able to look it up.

Unfortunately no records that old. They can give all the approvals in plain text, which might be adequate.. I'm just trying to get everything as official looking as I can!

SlapActionJackson posted:

What state was the donor vehicle titled in? Start with that's state's DMV for a copy of the title. You will probably need the cooperation of whoever the car was last titled to, if not you.

I have no idea on the certificate. Try contacting the vehicle manufacturer?

Are there no Cummins engines over there less bound in red tape?

Thanks, it was a Texas car so perhaps I'll try them.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

In TX you generally need the owner and ID to get a copy of the title. This is unique enough that you'll want to call the Texas DMV if you want any hope of getting a copy of the title. Normally they only issue certified copies (in case the original is lost).

You can reach them at +1 (512) 465-3000. They're on -05:00 GMT (central time zone). I'm not sure on their hours, but 8:00am to 5:00pm is a safe bet.

As far as any certifications, Dodge switched to a 24V version of that engine in the middle of the 1998 model year, you want to make sure anything you get is from the early 1998 models.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Post the plate on the timing cover?