Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
should tokin opposition buy a new gaming computer?
This poll is closed.
yes 14 31.82%
upgrade your current computer 5 11.36%
free all c-spam political prisoners 14 31.82%
no 11 25.00%
Total: 31 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Save for the car. It’s faster than any computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
steam deck is fun because I can play binding of isaac poorly in between waiting for customers

Toromi
Jun 25, 2023

tokin opposition posted:

anyone have builds around $2,000?

I also have a 3060 bought from a goon if anyone has suggestions on the best way to use it

If you've already got a video card, you could put together something decent for far less than 2000$ (so long as you're comfortable building your own system). The 8-core 5800x paired with 32GB of 3600MT/s memory and a MSI B550-A PRO motherboard (reputable, quality board) would run you under 400$, although if you want to be able to upgrade the CPU within the next few years then I'd suggest paying out a bit more for AMD's AM5 platform instead (7000 series CPUs), as that platform is guaranteed support until minimum 2025. As far as CPU coolers go, the Arctic Liquid Freezer 280mm (110$) is one of the best solutions short of custom loop. In terms of storage, it's easy enough to transplant your old drives, but if you're looking to expand or upgrade to something faster then there are a myriad of quality NVMe SSDs at great prices, such as the SN770 (50$ for 1TB, very fast Gen 4.0 drive). For the power supply I'd suggest the Corsair RM750e, as it's a reputable brand, good efficiency rating and fully modular, meaning you only have to deal with the cables you need and there's no excess spaghetti to stuff away in some empty drive bay. Lastly, for the case you can really shop around by subjective preference (although they almost all look the same at this point), but my go-to performance case is the Lian Li Lancool 216, known for reasonable build quality and top tier airflow. Every part I've mentioned here would amount to ~740$ USD, lowest prices aggregated via PCPartPicker.

Toromi
Jun 25, 2023

Zeroisanumber posted:

Had a friend just buy one off of Dell and they got it for roughly the same as I'd have paid if I picked parts and built it. Seems like they mostly make their money selling peripherals and software subscriptions that you don't need and don't have to buy so maybe check them out? :shrug:

IDK I got mine from a friend who's a computer hardware journalist and gets parts sent to him for free to review.

I'd recommend staying away from Dell prebuilts, they have a poor reputation in the space largely for their overuse of proprietary solutions and generally low quality parts (GamersNexus on Youtube has many prebuilt reviews, good consult on which brands to avoid). The Alienware line is especially infamous for this, but these issues apply to just about any of their gaming desktops (i.e. G5 line).

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Toromi posted:

If you've already got a video card, you could put together something decent for far less than 2000$ (so long as you're comfortable building your own system). The 8-core 5800x paired with 32GB of 3600MT/s memory and a MSI B550-A PRO motherboard (reputable, quality board) would run you under 400$, although if you want to be able to upgrade the CPU within the next few years then I'd suggest paying out a bit more for AMD's AM5 platform instead (7000 series CPUs), as that platform is guaranteed support until minimum 2025. As far as CPU coolers go, the Arctic Liquid Freezer 280mm (110$) is one of the best solutions short of custom loop. In terms of storage, it's easy enough to transplant your old drives, but if you're looking to expand or upgrade to something faster then there are a myriad of quality NVMe SSDs at great prices, such as the SN770 (50$ for 1TB, very fast Gen 4.0 drive). For the power supply I'd suggest the Corsair RM750e, as it's a reputable brand, good efficiency rating and fully modular, meaning you only have to deal with the cables you need and there's no excess spaghetti to stuff away in some empty drive bay. Lastly, for the case you can really shop around by subjective preference (although they almost all look the same at this point), but my go-to performance case is the Lian Li Lancool 216, known for reasonable build quality and top tier airflow. Every part I've mentioned here would amount to ~740$ USD, lowest prices aggregated via PCPartPicker.

thank you for the advice, I'll take a look at this. :) Seems right about what I'm looking for

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
god drat op i got a secondhand vizio MQX and i was wrong. 4k is badass.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

fart simpson posted:

i think the best way to use it is to plug it into a pcie slot on the motherboard. then connect your monitor to it

i think the best way is to shove it up your rear end!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Weka posted:

i think the best way is to shove it up your rear end!!!

i don’t think it would work