Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Chief McHeath posted:

personally my manager makes me come in early so i can use the snake to break up all the Dude Wipes stuck in the commode. hey no one else wants to do it and i plan on making GBS threads later and using one of those Dude Wipes myself so might as well right

:wtfdude:
                           :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

As a manager please dont come in early or leave late because I plan on not showing up today.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

RoboBoogie posted:

No one believes in the 15 minutes early on time BS, i am always 1-3 minutes late on every meeting as a consultant.
of course a meeting that only happens because the organizer is too illiterate to communicate in writing is not important, and you should always be late to those

But the 15-minutes thing is a good habit when used as a tool for being on time to something where punctuality is really important.

I had no idea until this thread that people can be dumb enough to think that being 15 minutes early is the end goal instead of just a helpful habit.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

I had no idea until this thread that people can be dumb enough to think that being 15 minutes early is the end goal instead of just a helpful habit.

You might want to reread all the posts where it is, in fact, the stated end goal. Literally my boss considered "on time" to be half an hour early to do unpaid work. "Early" was 6-7am.

Punctuality in life is important and good, I despise being late, but that is not at all what people are talking about lol

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Does it count if your manager texts you hours before you shift and asks what your weekend plans are? Because I get a lot of notifications. And if I see one from him I think like, I should say something relevant like, I'm going to go pick strawberries and eat a lot of them. I feel like this is exploitative in some way.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

You might want to reread all the posts where it is, in fact, the stated end goal. Literally my boss considered "on time" to be half an hour early to do unpaid work. "Early" was 6-7am.

Punctuality in life is important and good, I despise being late, but that is not at all what people are talking about lol
Yeah I think I understand what you guys are talking about, I just personally had never encountered the "rule" being used that way in my life experience. On time is on time, 7 is 7, that's punctuality. The on-time-is-late "rule" whenever I have heard it has always been a wise habit, never actually a rule. Maybe I'm in a small minority in that respect??

386-SX 25Mhz VGA fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 6, 2023

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
If it's important to be ready to go on the hour then sure, I could see getting there a little early to put my things away and get an update from the crew. Should that take more than 5 minutes? I had a boss tell me I needed to be there 15 minutes early, but I just ignored him because I didn't need to be. A security job demanded everyone be 15 mins early to do pass ons with the previous shift, which would end at the hour, unpaid. Then I noticed none of the managers would ever arrive for the passons, and in fact would arrive 15 mins after the hour to then get caught up and disrespect the supervisors. I instead would show up at 5 to, and take over from the person in the comm office. They just went straight home and I didn't have to fiddlefuck around with their group huddle horseshit. gently caress the bosses, pay me.

PortobelloPirate
Jul 5, 2023
Yeah, if starting on the hour is super crucial for whatever reason, pay should start on the quarter-to.

You know it’s a way to get unpaid labor out of workers because this doesn’t happen at jobs where the employees have a bit more leverage. Ask any dev if their morning stand-up meeting is unpaid and they’ll assume you’re joking.

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

I used to work with this ancient motherfucker who began work at 7am and was not allowed OT. His wife was a nurse who worked 12s at a nearby hospital. Dumbass would drop her off at 5 for her job, come eat breakfast and read the paper in the break room, then clock in at 7. He’d work until 3, then sit in the break room again until it was time to pick wifey up at work again.
I had someone like that at my old building before I transferred, he'd come in 3-4 hours early and just play chess on an iPad. Work is the last place I want to waste my little free time I have.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

WilltheMagicAsian posted:

I had someone like that at my old building before I transferred, he'd come in 3-4 hours early and just play chess on an iPad. Work is the last place I want to waste my little free time I have.

A guy at my office used to do the same thing. He was supposed to clock in at 7:30, but was generally there by 6 am. He used to come into the break room and watch youtube on his phone, but half the time he'd set off the alarm by accident (since he was the first person in the building without fail and never remembered to turn off the security system). His manager told him he couldn't do that any more, so then he started coming in, parking, and sitting in his car for at least an hour before work.

When his manager asked why he did it he just said he "hated his wife".

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
OP the way you make up for this is by going to the bathroom and jerking off for 15 minutes.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Hope everyone is stealing from their work in some fashion. It's the morally correct thing to do.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Assert your dominance over your manager by aggressively mounting and humping him during the next staff meeting. When everyone else sees you dry humping away as he flails beneath you then you have become the new alpha of the pack

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Sorry but the manager is correct. If you’re on time you’re late. Here watch this Peaky Blinders supercut with inspirational Andrew Tate voice overs to learn more

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

PortobelloPirate posted:

Yeah, if starting on the hour is super crucial for whatever reason, fix the whatever reason.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

AmbientParadox posted:

Sorry but the manager is correct. If you’re on time you’re late. Here watch this Peaky Blinders supercut with inspirational Andrew Tate voice overs to learn more

you forgot to attach the link.

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

A Fancy Hat posted:

A guy at my office used to do the same thing. He was supposed to clock in at 7:30, but was generally there by 6 am. He used to come into the break room and watch youtube on his phone, but half the time he'd set off the alarm by accident (since he was the first person in the building without fail and never remembered to turn off the security system). His manager told him he couldn't do that any more, so then he started coming in, parking, and sitting in his car for at least an hour before work.

When his manager asked why he did it he just said he "hated his wife".

Just get a loving divorce

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Manager here in tech - I tell my team to show up whenever, as long as they get their poo poo done on time and are at least semi-available to message during “normal work hours”. We’re extremely efficient.

Though about half of our leadership team falls into the stereotypical lovely American Manager stereotype. I can tell you they’re mostly like that because they have horrifically low self-esteem and dislike being home with their families. So they try to compensate by getting all weird and militaristic in whatever way they can manage.

The things that come out while they get drunk during teambuilding activities.

PortobelloPirate
Jul 5, 2023

Khanstant posted:

…fix the whatever reason.

What if that reason is client-facing?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The client should be destroyed on sight.

PortobelloPirate
Jul 5, 2023
lol. Cheers to that!

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
If you need your employees there earlier you just pay them to come earlier.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Elukka posted:

If you need your employees there earlier you just pay them to come earlier.

Woahhhh buddy we're like a family here and I don't want to ruin that magic by making everything about money

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

WilltheMagicAsian posted:

I once had a terrible living situation so I spent way more time at work and the gym, only coming home to sleep.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

redshirt posted:

I once had a terrible living situation so I spent way more time at work and the gym, only coming home to sleep.
I have a happy home life, but even so there are times when I just want to be around different people for a day. In a way it makes lots of sense for people with miserable living situations to come in and waste time at the office.

naem
May 29, 2011

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

If you’re paid hourly and he’s not paying you for those fifteen minutes you can tell him to suck the poo poo outta your rear end in a top hat op

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...t-idUSKBN1KG349

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
I can suck up not getting paid for the commute (even though I pay about $5 a day for the privilege due to tunnel tolls. non-tax reimbursable, btw). But, if I get there and it takes me like 10-15 minutes to find a parking spot? I claim that poo poo.
I work on a compound with around 5k people, so it can be rough sometimes.

But, I'm also a gov't civilian with a boss that doesn't really give a poo poo. So, it works out.

It was worse when I was in the Navy and worked at Norfolk Naval Station, the largest navy installation globally. Where you'd end up having to park like a mile, mile and a half away sometimes. Then go on deployment for X months, just to come back to pretend to know where the gently caress you parked your car.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

thats fair

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
My boss told me if I come in early and work then I get paid the moment I start, no bullshit. I can clock in, restock the Sprinters, scrub the hepa filters, go fuel em up and test the compressors. I can drag that out for a couple hours before or after work.

I'm not much for working when I don't have to, but it's cool to know there's always overtime as long as I can find something useful to do. Each thing done needs a report files with pics, so there's no need to "prove" anything, it's right there.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

When I was union my manager tried to pull that poo poo where your pc needs to be booted with all programs launched by 8, so why don't you come in early just to be prepared. We could clock in 3 minutes early at most. The computers at the time were total poo poo. It was met with crickets when someone asked if people could be scheduled at 745.

Anyways the union shut that poo poo down real quick when they tried to discipline lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

redshirt posted:

That's what I figured for him as well without directly asking him. But this was an industrial warehouse, not a quiet office break room, so there's gotta be better places to be!