Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Heya, so, we're planning on visiting our friends who live in Austin this October, from England.

It looks like there are actually kinda cheap flights to go to New York (which we'd do for a couple of days) then fly down to New Orleans, and then we were thinking we could maybe rent a car and drive over to Austin, stopping off along the way.

Not gonna lie, mostly we're big into food, we went to New York before and I'm super keen to go back just for the slices! Otherwise, we're both into music, art, film, anything geeky, good hikes / nature trails, etc. All that good stuff.

Was just wondering if anyone had any good tips for anything they'd personally recommend to do along the way? Appreciate that's a heck of a lot of options there, and a lot of stuff would depend on the exact dates, but we're kinda flexible, so if there's something really amazing happening in November, that's probably good too?

I realise it's over Halloween, and I know you guys go nuts for that, I'd LOVE to get involved and do something big for Halloween, we don't really do a lot here and I wish we did, but like, I don't have the first clue, lol. Is it big in Austin? Maybe that's something to coordinate with my friends there?

!Klams fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

halloween is big everywhere in the united states.

new orleans is an 8 hour drive from austin and one of the most hostile cities to drive in. just fly, it's cheaper and you really aren't missing anything along i-10 aside from lafayette and houston. i've done that drive several times.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

you've got a lot of threads here. i think a cool thread idea for you in addition to the ones you make here would be a Post My Favorites one where you just write about your trips. goons would be interested.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I've lived in Austin all my life! What are you looking to do? There's plenty.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Waffle House posted:

I've lived in Austin all my life! What are you looking to do? There's plenty.

Mostly good food recommendations, I think, would be great, but really just any local knowledge that I'm not gonna get on TripAdvisor? Any good metal /alternative bars, any weird Americana sideshow / folklore type events? Like, if I'm coming to Austin, what's the one thing you think I shouldn't miss?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

!Klams posted:

Mostly good food recommendations, I think, would be great, but really just any local knowledge that I'm not gonna get on TripAdvisor? Any good metal /alternative bars, any weird Americana sideshow / folklore type events? Like, if I'm coming to Austin, what's the one thing you think I shouldn't miss?

mohawk had been a reliable spot to catch good shows along with barracuda and sidewinder, all within a 2 minute walk of each other.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

STONE COLD 64 posted:

mohawk had been a reliable spot to catch good shows along with barracuda and sidewinder, all within a 2 minute walk of each other.

full disclosure tho i havent gone to a show in austin in like 5 years so i have no idea how much the scene there has changed

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

!Klams posted:

American rear end things in the fall in Austin:
- Hit up a UT football game (or, alternatively, avoid downtown entirely on gameday. Traffic can be hellish)

- Line up at 7am for a Franklin BBQ lunch. Good chance to just sit and chat/ play card games with your friends while waiting.

- There was a graffiti park near downtown at some point, but unfortunately I think it's gone now. Hope that isn't the case.

- Catch the bats flying out at sunset on Congress Ave

- May be fun to do a trip out to Fredricksburg for Texas wine tasting and some exposure to the German/ Texan diaspora. Halloween is probably too late for any local Oktoberfest knockoffs.

It may just be me being from the area, but you will find a much more colorful culinary scene in New Orleans. There is no better place in the world for that sort of thing, IMO. Texas will have them beat on BBQ and TexMex, but after a few meals of that your body will be begging for a vegetable, hah.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Oh right, yeah, realise my post is somewhat misleading, we do plan to stop in Nola for a while for sure!

These are all cracking suggestions, thanks so much!

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

STONE COLD 64 posted:

halloween is big everywhere in the united states.

new orleans is an 8 hour drive from austin and one of the most hostile cities to drive in. just fly, it's cheaper and you really aren't missing anything along i-10 aside from lafayette and houston. i've done that drive several times.

yeah skip the new orleans to austin drive unless you really like to see brown water and smelly refineries

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

What kind of art interests you? I've spent a good amount of time in NYC, and can probably recommend a museum or two. (Also, if you want, you can summarize where you were on past NYC trips so I don't offer repeats.)

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Ok. So if you're going to be in Texas in October, you need to see Dallas for the Texas State Fair. It's enormous and ridiculous and there's nothing like it.

Butter sculptures
Fried garbage
People watching
Livestock

It'd be a highlight of your trip. Promise.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

G-Mawwwwwww posted:

Ok. So if you're going to be in Texas in October, you need to see Dallas for the Texas State Fair. It's enormous and ridiculous and there's nothing like it.

Butter sculptures
Fried garbage
People watching
Livestock

It'd be a highlight of your trip. Promise.

Oh.... poo poo. Yes. YES! THANKYOU!

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Keep in mind Dallas is a good 3-4 hour drive from Austin. Don’t expect to make the State Fair a day trip if your “home base” in Texas will be in or near Austin.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Gin_Rummy posted:

Keep in mind Dallas is a good 3-4 hour drive from Austin. Don’t expect to make the State Fair a day trip if your “home base” in Texas will be in or near Austin.

It's worth a day or two. If I were going to visit Dallas, I'd do:

1) State Fair.

2) There's a restaurant called CBD provisions. They do a whole half pig head carnitas. It's incredible.

3) Perot Museum. Celebrate the cowboy who sings about fracking.

4) Tei An would be a multiple michelin star restaurant if Michelin did Dallas.

5) The arboretum would be lovely at that time.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

!Klams posted:

Oh.... poo poo. Yes. YES! THANKYOU!

Holy poo poo, yes, do this if you're willing to a DFW trip. It's packed during the weekends, but there's at least SOMETHING happening during the weekdays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

yeah it often gets forgotten that just texas is literally the entire size of western europe.