Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
For the last few months, my wifi has been acting up, where it drops to unusably slow (but not totally dropped) every 25 minutes. Massively infuriating.

Anyway, long story short, it turns out it's my work laptop, that I pretty much left turned on all the time since I'm basically always on call. If I turn that laptop off, we don't get the drops. It's not a case of having too many devices connected, if only that and a phone are using the wifi, sure enough, it still happens. If we have 12 devices not including that laptop on the network, it works fine.

So, what can I check, to see why it's doing it? I don't see anything in the logs on the router that suggest it's doing anything. I am connecting to a VPN on there, through Cisco AnyConnect. I've seen various VPN's pop up on forums in the past when troubleshooting (other) issues, could that be it? Any tips greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

!Klams posted:

So, what can I check, to see why it's doing it? I don't see anything in the logs on the router that suggest it's doing anything. I am connecting to a VPN on there, through Cisco AnyConnect. I've seen various VPN's pop up on forums in the past when troubleshooting (other) issues, could that be it? Any tips greatly appreciated.

Yeah, I'd disable the VPN and see if it behaves the same way. That's show if it was a VPN issue or some other issue with the laptop.

Also, make sure you're on the latest router firmware.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Yeah, so, weirdly it's not the vpn. I've got the latest firmware, and even tried changing the router before I narrowed it down to the laptop. It's super odd, like you can see, the SECOND it disconnects the Internet speed returns to normal.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

!Klams posted:

Yeah, so, weirdly it's not the vpn. I've got the latest firmware, and even tried changing the router before I narrowed it down to the laptop. It's super odd, like you can see, the SECOND it disconnects the Internet speed returns to normal.

Make sure you're using the very latest WiFi drivers for the laptop. Get the drivers directly from the network card site rather than the laptop site. Sometimes the laptop site will have very old drivers.

If that doesn't help I'd try booting from a free Linux OS on a USB stick and see if the same behavior continued or not. That'd determine if your issue is with your main OS install or with the hardware itself.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Zogo posted:

Make sure you're using the very latest WiFi drivers for the laptop. Get the drivers directly from the network card site rather than the laptop site. Sometimes the laptop site will have very old drivers.

If that doesn't help I'd try booting from a free Linux OS on a USB stick and see if the same behavior continued or not. That'd determine if your issue is with your main OS install or with the hardware itself.

So, in looking for the WiFi card I had, I also found a bios update.

I 'THINK' doing both of these has fixed it, so MASSIVE thank you!! This was driving me nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
It in fact, was not this! It was just OneDrive, being insane, and trying to upload everything, with no bandwidth cap, every 25 minutes or so. It was using 100% of my upload, which is what caused the odd looking issue of no available internet, but no disconnect.