Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Realms of Ruin is an RTS game based on the Warhammer Age of Sigmar setting of the Mortal Realms. It came out on November 17th 2023

Gameplay wise it's an objective based RTS game, where you generate unit squads at your mustering point and capture objective points on the map to win (destroying the enemy mustering point will also let you win, but is much harder). Each unit tends to have one or two abilities unique to them. Units have a bit of a rock paper scissors relationship, Assault Units beat Heavy Units , Heavy Units Beat Ranged Units, and Ranged Units beat Assault Units, though there are a few monster and weird units that disrupt it. Units are also a bit more durable than in many other RTS and generally won't melt and die within seconds of contact with the enemy, giving the players a bit more time to react and use abilities, though once again there are some exceptions with some unit abilities that will melt the enemy. Two resources are collected from various points on the map, Command Points and Realmstone. Command points are used to generate the most basic units and use the basic abilities, while Realmstone is used in conjunction with command points to generate more elite units, and activates most Units unique abilities.

The game will launch with four factions. There is also an army painter to customize their looks.

Stormcast Eternals

The Stormcast Eternals are human heroes taken at the time they would have died by the God-King Sigmar and transformed into powerful immortal warriors imbued with the storm. He then unleashed them to help take the Mortal Realms back from the forces that threaten it. Each time a Stormcast dies they disappear in a flash of lighting back to the realm of the Heavens where they are reforged and given a new body to rejoin the fight, but a flaw in the process causes them to lose more of their humanity each time. Gameplay wise they are a versatile army with a good mix of melee and ranged, strong heroes excelling in support, and are overall an elite force that synergizes well, but is expensive in resources.

Orruk Kruleboyz

The Kruleboyz are swamp dwelling Orruks that revere and emulate Mork the cunning and sneaky aspect of Gorkamorka the god of destruction. They pride themselves on tactical acts of cruelty, and believe the more underhanded the win the better. In gameplay they like to hide and set ambushes, while sending weaker swarms to sacrifice themselves while the more powerful and valuable units position themselves properly to decimate the enemy.

Nighthaunt

The ghosts of people cursed by Nagash the god of death to torment the living forevermore. Each being punished ironically for crimes they committed in life (At least crimes as Nagash saw). They are a swarming army that constantly regenerates if not finished off, with heroes that specialize in further amplifying this regeneration.

Disciples of Tzeentch

The cultists and daemons of Tzeentch god of ambition, change, hope, and magic. His servants are always up to devious plots to further their reach and cause chaos. As an army they specialize in spells and ranged attacks out of reach of the enemy before they engage in melee. While also having a powerful monster with powerful AoE spells for the late game.

Offical Website

Launch Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scf0u1M7ph8

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

This game looks extremely similar to Dawn of War 2 and that has me VERY loving excited

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

DoW 2 Retribution was my all time favourite. Can't wait for this

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Beta is up.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

First match ended after I won the first skirmish and the opposing player ragequit.

I don't have all the nuances of control down but it feels a bit clunky in that just clicking on a building doesnt show the options for construction, you have to then hit a key to open the menu for it.

Also compared to dow2 and its pace, its still very inspired by it but unit costs seem surprisingly low and you can have pretty sizable armies within the opening moves of a match, versus dow2 where the first skirmishes would be between your hero and a few infantry units.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 7, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah there is for sure some early clunk with buildings and abilities and I don't know the shortcuts well enough yet.

I am starting to get used to stuff that I can react decently fast.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 7, 2023

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Are heroes as significant in comparison? I might not get to play for a bit. Do you lock in heroes when you queue or choose in game?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

S.J. posted:

Are heroes as significant in comparison? I might not get to play for a bit. Do you lock in heroes when you queue or choose in game?

You just spawn with your t1 hero unit and the t1 infantry at round start, every unit is so cheap you can have a full squad on 6 before you find the enemy army. There arent the choices of commander like in dow2.

Gonna say balance wise, dragons function like heavy tanks with a massive aoe cone blast but also can fly and still retreat so rushing t3 and building a lot of them is working real well so far for me.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sharkopath posted:

You just spawn with your t1 hero unit and the t1 infantry at round start, every unit is so cheap you can have a full squad on 6 before you find the enemy army. There arent the choices of commander like in dow2.

Gonna say balance wise, dragons function like heavy tanks with a massive aoe cone blast but also can fly and still retreat so rushing t3 and building a lot of them is working real well so far for me.

Playing around Kruleboyz and while Dragons are scary, My killbows and Mire Troggs are pretty good at taking them down, they seem fairly glass cannony.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The game does not have proper tooltips yet, but I have more or less figured out most of the Kruleboyz roster. Just wish I could read what the passive abilities do.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Playing around Kruleboyz and while Dragons are scary, My killbows and Mire Troggs are pretty good at taking them down, they seem fairly glass cannony.

Yeah playing more and the rock paper scissors elements are super hard coded. Ranged units can beat assault in melee pretty much.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Tried the beta over the weekend. Game seems cool but I have very little recent experience with real time strategy/real time tactics games so I lost super hard. It also made my 7 year old PC sound like a jet engine.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

S.J. posted:

This game looks extremely similar to Dawn of War 2 and that has me VERY loving excited

that's all I need to hear to get stoked for this, loving LOVED DoW2's RTS style of "all your bases are already built, it's all about taking control points and fighting" and I love the Kruleboyz muppets.

Hoping the Death faction is the popular Soulblight Gravelords though it could also be the Bonereaper skellytens. Chaos will prob be Slaves To Darkness. Hoping this is a long-tail game because goddamn I want a new DOW2 and having it come out on console is actually really rad.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
I still play Last Stand from Retribution sometimes. Exploding tellyportA all day baby

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

DLC Inc posted:

that's all I need to hear to get stoked for this, loving LOVED DoW2's RTS style of "all your bases are already built, it's all about taking control points and fighting" and I love the Kruleboyz muppets.

Hoping the Death faction is the popular Soulblight Gravelords though it could also be the Bonereaper skellytens. Chaos will prob be Slaves To Darkness. Hoping this is a long-tail game because goddamn I want a new DOW2 and having it come out on console is actually really rad.

My bets for a Chaos faction is actually Tzeentch, as an early image that seems to be gone now shows an Ogroid Thamaturge fighting Kruleboyz.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Sharkopath posted:

Yeah playing more and the rock paper scissors elements are super hard coded. Ranged units can beat assault in melee pretty much.

That seems a tad silly

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Beta is over, and feedback surveys have been sent out.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
New Trailer and release date November 17th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5qzSjk8CYw

Confirmation of the third faction Nighthaunt

We have some gameplay of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rhaMcbeX0g

Also campaign stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZZpfEPNTzE

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 22, 2023

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

It's been a long time since I played an RTS game with a solid single-player story campaign. Definitely looking forward to Realms of Ruin!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
40k website Goonhammer has some cmapaign impressions. As someone who's been waiting for a decent AoS game I have some hope for this, although lol that it took a beta to find all of those basic interface/control fixes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
There is a Demo out on Steam for the first story missions now.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1844380/Warhammer_Age_of_Sigmar_Realms_of_Ruin/

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

My initial impressions of Realms of Ruin were not great. I didn't like the way melee people locked together when engaged. Kept wanting to maneuver to better flanking positions, clicking to have my guys move to one side or trying to activate an ability, and not seeing anything happen. Special abilities did not feel very impactful, except for the auras you stop fighting to deploy, and those were a pain to put in the right position.

Also, the story they are laying out looks like incredibly generic warhammer, judging by the opening beats. Did not feel any desire to play past the first mission. I will be reading reviews of the full game when it releases, but my enthusiasm has been tempered. I was hoping for Dawn of War or Rise of Legends, and I got Mark of Chaos.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I kind of like that units are stuck together unless the retreat button is used or their opponents units are no longer in contact.

I just needed some practice with the shortcuts and it all clicked for me pretty well. But I do need to play more.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
SO I played through and here's some thoughts:
  • I have mixed feelings about units being locked in melee. It's definitely a more elegant system than DoW 2's thing where you could move away and get wrecked. Melee is a big deal, catching ranged unit with melee is a big deal and it should matter. However the range where a unit;s AI decides to wander into melee is pretty generous and it definitely shuts stuff down if you wanted to do something last minute.
  • The orcs are good and hammy, that's what you want. The other characters are very "standard AoS tie in novel characters" and I don't super mind but it's definitely missing a spark.
  • There's some kind of responsiveness issue with certain abilities. I constantly tried to get off charges and couldn't do it. This might be the age of my computer showing, though. I'm also not the sprightly teen I was when DoW2 first came out so maybe playing these games is getting more difficult.
  • Moving units in groups and cycling between them feels clunky, even though I know it's not substantially different from how other RTS games do it. See above point re:responsiveness.
  • Mission 3 is real mean. Mission 1 - how to move units. Mission 2 - capturing stuff. Mission 3 - immediately play a mock version competitive multiplayer match against the Nighthaunt, who haven't shown up before now and have a substantial map control and resource advantage over you.
  • I can't believe they made prosecutors, the winged stormcast, look and sound cool. Although the sound effects in general could use more juice, using the prosecutors and the dragon rocks.
  • Demo could have benefited from an Ai skirmish mode to dick around in.

I do kind of like this game so far? It's no DoW 2 but it's scratching a close itch. I imagine the audience would be bigger on pc but I'm tempted to hook up a controller and see how the controls feel there. It is, sadly, the best AoS video game we have so far.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
The disciples of tzeentch were confirmed as the final faction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpxKiK55cLM

They also made a video a few weeks ago about improvements since the beta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jndEoLYYzs

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Lucinice posted:

The disciples of tzeentch were confirmed as the final faction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpxKiK55cLM

They also made a video a few weeks ago about improvements since the beta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jndEoLYYzs

Definitely some reassuring stuff in those. Audio improvements were mentioned, and that definitely matters to me. The Tzeentch video showed off the level editor later on, seemed neat

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Game launched in pre-order early access today. Updated the OP as well.

Got a fun little launch trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scf0u1M7ph8&t=76s

Will give some impressions after I play around with it later.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Is there multiplayer in the early access?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Is there multiplayer in the early access?

Yes played a match before I went to work. Was pretty quick and worked well.

Units are also faster in multiplayer than single player, so matches are decently quick passes. Probably going to need play single player for a bit to get a handle on the factions and abilities.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Man why is this so expensive. I alreayd got burned paying this much for TW3 and I regreted it badly

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Review from Goonhammer.
https://www.goonhammer.com/warhammer-age-of-sigmar-realms-of-ruin-the-goonhammer-review/

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Man why is this so expensive. I alreayd got burned paying this much for TW3 and I regreted it badly

I would wait until the 17th if you don’t want to pay extra.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 15, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Game is officially out. Plan to update the OP with some more in depth info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

The campaign is still pretty slow, but I just played a couple of 1v1s and it seems pretty fun.