Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Spot.
Fido.
Rover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

A new cat has entered my life. The shelter named him Richard, but I wouldn't mind changing that up for too-online reasons.

Cleo, Hammer, Temp, Zeb, Biscuit, Tablet, Headphones, Printer, Keys, Lampshade, Pillow, Vase, Burt, Laminator.

You can play off all of these names.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 26, 2023

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Mrs. Slocombe

AKA Girl, girly, lil turd

Inkdaub
Jun 16, 2020
Ellarianatte...Larianatte...Ellie...Mushash...Moosh...Moshi.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
A very common trend...

1) Cat gets named.

2) People start calling the cat names that are not the name from 1) above.

3) Cat now has 8 different names.

4) Cat is never called the name from 1) except when explaining to people that that is the cat's actual name and everything else is what everyone calls said cat.

5) Cat gives not fucks.

Weird but good, why not? :)

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Its true. Holly quickly became Hollybean, which has then become:

Bean
Beans
The Big Bean
The Big Beefer
The Beast

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Bula Vinaka posted:

A very common trend...

1) Cat gets named.

2) People start calling the cat names that are not the name from 1) above.

3) Cat now has 8 different names.

4) Cat is never called the name from 1) except when explaining to people that that is the cat's actual name and everything else is what everyone calls said cat.

5) Cat gives not fucks.

Weird but good, why not? :)

My theory is that your pet picks up on a particular syllable of its name and as long as you incorporate that sound, they'll recognize the nickname.
Source: My cat's name is Ezra Peeps. He'll respond to any of his "pee" nicknames: Peeps, Peepers, Pee, Pee Pee Head, Peeparoo, Ezzy Peeps... But he ignores "Ezra."

Ea Nasir
Jul 17, 2023

by vyelkin
Anus.
Turdblossom.
Cat.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Das Boo posted:

My theory is that your pet picks up on a particular syllable of its name and as long as you incorporate that sound, they'll recognize the nickname.
Source: My cat's name is Ezra Peeps. He'll respond to any of his "pee" nicknames: Peeps, Peepers, Pee, Pee Pee Head, Peeparoo, Ezzy Peeps... But he ignores "Ezra."

If you called him eazy or ezzy I bet he'd pick up

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I like to split the difference between people who want human names for pets and those who want to just call them the species. It's very easy for cats because there are so many human names like
Cat
Catherine
Katherine
Katya
Catalina
Catelyn
Katrina
which lets you just call them "hey cat" which is the proper universal greeting for all cats.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

My cat's name is Heather, because my sister's cat is named Thistle.
She bridges the gap between human and non-human names.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
my cats are named Midas and Bean

Cryomancer
Jan 22, 2005

Indeed.
A few of mine had been MadDog McGinty, Maximus Baddassicus, Mr. Chirpy and The Young Baron Fang.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Cum Monkey.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

BigBadSteve posted:

Cum Monkey.

why are you so loving weird in cat threads

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Just a reminder, today is International Cat Day, please take a moment to acknowledge your cat(s), both foreign and domestic models.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Steve

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Previous cats: Midas aka brat, and Ziggy

Current cats: Susie and Henry who I have taken to calling Monsieur Henri in a heavy french accent

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Clambitch

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

lord kittington mingalicious pussywillow the IIIrd

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

you could name a cat Barf and when the vet receptionist is like “Barf?” you could say “yeah like bart with an f” but bart with an f could also be fart…to be honest im not 100% on tthis one

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
HAS ANYONE SAID THE NAME IF HP LOVCRAFTS CAT YET????

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I wanna name a cat a really basic old guy name. Like Graeme or Lloyd or John.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Chief McHeath posted:

you could name a cat Barf and when the vet receptionist is like “Barf?” you could say “yeah like bart with an f” but bart with an f could also be fart…to be honest im not 100% on tthis one

lol

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
not reading through 4 pages of cat names to see if FURCULES has already been mentioned

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Nooner posted:

that was in the first post. both of the op's cats are named that. try to keep up

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Nooner posted:

go ahead :D

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Kevin

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Caesar Saladin posted:

I wanna name a cat a really basic old guy name. Like Graeme or Lloyd or John.

Speaking of basic old people names for cats, I fell down a Wikipedia rabbithole and learned that Kat Dennings's cat's name is Millie, which I think is just swell. :3:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
My mom named one of her black cats sunshine.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Meet Nilo and Lucifer. Or Cable Nibbler and Pastry Nibbler, as they're also known.

A Worrying Warlock fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 9, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Meet Nilo and Lucifer. Or Cable Nibbler and Pastry Nibbler, as they're also known.

How many names does this cat have?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

redshirt posted:

How many names does this cat have?

hosed up the imgur, Lucifer should show up now as well.

Though Nilo is also called Scamp and Snail. Don't ask how he got that last name or I will be forced to post video evidence.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
So far I've lived with

Tornado*
Callie
Tsunami*
Samba
Psyche*
Buds
and Lil' Bit

Only Samba and Buds are still alive. We told the kids we're getting two kittens in the fall and they get to name them.

* Ones I've named.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Goes by Lucky but I got him from a friend when he was 4 and didn't want to rename him.