Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Last Friday I went hunting for Samurai's. the first 8 people approached, none wanted to sell. Lucky number 9 got me these 2 gently used examples.

Finally got my other one back from the impound yard after a 6 month bureaucratic nightmare.

First contender: the Santana Samurai Special Edition. The only one with an intact windshield. has AC AND power steering. Front end damage, some bits missing, but best condition overall, and will likely be the first on the road.

Next up the white one. Nothing sticks out much about this one. Certainly been rolled. Haven't prised open the hood yet, but from peeking through the hood vents, looks pretty stock

Finally, Ol' Betsy in all her smashed up glory. I made a frankenengine for Betsy a few years ago. G13 block, 16v head from a 1.6 Escudo, MPFI manifold from a Baleno, pistons from a Geo Metro, forge rods(lmao) and a Speeduino for fuel/spark. Ol' Betsy went like poo poo off a shovel for a whole 3 weeks before she was upside down. Betsy has been moved 8 or 9 times with a crane truck, which hasn't done much for her body. Post wreck she sat in my yard for a couple of years until a government cleanup, which led to a convoluted series of events involving a rogue wrecker , a friendly mechanic, and overeager government entity, police, lawyers and a whole bunch of bullshit.

So this thread is to cover the resurrection of at least 2 of these. The are covered in tarps now, the inventorying of the various damages and missing bits from each starts next week. I know from a brief look am missing at least 1 rear driveshaft, 1 radiator, 2 fan shrouds, 2 windshields, 2 seats, all the back seats (lol). Various new tools on the way, should all arrive in the next 2 weeks.
Waiting on the electricity company to hook up 3 phase, which is gonna be costly... but the 1000W fibre laser isn't gonna run off my pair of solar panels and ebay inverter. Cutting, welding and rust removing is more fun with :c00lbert: lasers :c00lbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
jesus christ, that's a weird little collection. none of those look like builders to me, but that just means that you are more capable and ambitious than i am. good on you for saving them. looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I have so many questions...

First off: where is this glorious adventure taking place?

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

Hooked from photo one. Cannot wait to see these come back to life!

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

bolind posted:

I have so many questions...

First off: where is this glorious adventure taking place?

in Grenada, the isle of spice!

Waiting on the electric company to give me a cost for 3 phase; plan b is get a ~30kva generator from aibaba. Collecting a portapower hydraulic jack thing tomorrow, no power required for that! Weather depending, i'll head up to the workshop tomorrow and start trying to straighten some bits on betsy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
To this day I still want another Geo Tracker/Samurai, so I'll be living vicariously through you.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Ordered some lights, hoses, a radiator and a couple of windshields. $160 for a delivered windshield ain't bad at all! (although the shipping and duties to get it here aren't so great..)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

This is all so far beyond any of my skillset or comprehension. I am very much on board for whatever plays out here. I hope you can keep good pace on this! I originally set out to buy a cheap Jimny (JA11) from Japan before I ventured down into the hole where I am and a little teeny part of me still hopes that I will one day buy one even just as a short term plaything.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Back in high school, I used to carpool with someone with a Samurai/Tracker if my mom needed her car that day. It was kinda scary on the highway (I'm sure the soft top didn't help my 16 year old self since I was always in the back, but with 3 of us in it, it really struggled), but I would love to have one today. 4x4 w/5 speed and AC IIRC, would have been a very late 80s model.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jul 14, 2023

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
yeah, A+ thread and ideas and I look forward to reading it but....

Somewhat Heroic posted:

This is all so far beyond any of my skillset or comprehension. I am very much on board for whatever plays out here. I hope you can keep good pace on this! I originally set out to buy a cheap Jimny (JA11) from Japan before I ventured down into the hole where I am and a little teeny part of me still hopes that I will one day buy one even just as a short term plaything.

seconding all this.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

randomidiot posted:

Back in high school, I used to carpool with someone with a Samurai/Tracker if my mom needed her car that day. It was kinda scary on the highway (I'm sure the soft top didn't help my 16 year old self since I was always in the back, but with 3 of us in it, it really struggled), but I would love to have one today. 4x4 w/5 speed and AC IIRC, would have been a very late 80s model.

Wait, they came in a 4-seater version? My friend has one but it's two seats up front and a tiny little truck bed. It's scary on the highway in the sense that to hit 50 you need to go downhill, and to maintain it you need to keep flat-out and not even look in an upward direction. It's a carbureted version at very high altitude, though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Wait, they came in a 4-seater version? My friend has one but it's two seats up front and a tiny little truck bed. It's scary on the highway in the sense that to hit 50 you need to go downhill, and to maintain it you need to keep flat-out and not even look in an upward direction. It's a carbureted version at very high altitude, though.

Yes my Tracker had 4 seats - Two front and a double bench that could be folded down in the back.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, my old SJ had 4 seats.

Ironically, the Jimny was reduced to 2 seats in the UK after the first batch, because it meant they could classify it as a van so emissions rules didn't totally kill it.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Note that the Sidekick/Tracker is related to, but not the same vehicle as, the Jimny/Samurai.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yep. A friend of mine used to have a Samurai and we once drove it to a festival 3 hours away on the highway. Since there were three of us, I spent some time on the back seat while doing "highway" speed, i.e. barely fast enough to be legal.

It was great.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Most of the Samurai's i've seen here have the back seats removed. Took them out of Betsy day 1, too cruel to have someone squashed up in the back. Another feature of the Special Edition was a split folding rear seat, but those are long gone.

A bit of info on the humble G13(and G16) engine. it was in production vehicles in some form from 1984-2020. Various configuration changes over time, but the block from a 1984 Swift and a head from a 2020 Maruti Gypsy king would work just fine together today. It's pretty much 3 heads and 2 blocks. The 8v, the 16v and the 16v DOHC heads and the G13 and the G16 blocks (nominally 1.3 and 1.6L respectively). The 16v DOHC is only used in the 86-94 Cultus GTi, which had a hell of an ad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXfVzhCxLEw

The AA33S version competed in Group A rallies from 86-93, and it's successor the AA34S from 90-2002. This makes the heads a little hard to obtain, as the Swift has a cult following. They aren't giving them up easy! On the other hand, it does give the advandtage of 139 pages of homologation papers. Turns out in 1999 they issued an erratum, that "oops, our original papers detailing the cam grind were wrong! Here's the right numbers". Strongly suspect that they may have been trying to eek the last bit of power out of the G13, and that was their best shot at it after a decade plus of tweaks.
I'm tempted to model the 2 grinds and see how different they are. And if I ever grind my own camshaft, it'll be based on the 99 grind, albeit as translated back to SOHC, as the DOHC heads are unobtanium. (note to self, page 94/114/115)

There are several also several crank variations, but decades of car forum poster's BS the information is a little muddy. There is one guy on pirate4x4 who did some comprehensive measurements on various heads, and iirc he also detailed some crank specs too.

In the Suzuki Carry (amongst others), it's mounted at an angle, so that adds some oil pan variations too.

One tidbit is that it seems the JL474Q engine outta china is likely a drop in replacement for the frankenengine in betsy, as it seems to be the final evolution of the G13, mating the 16v SOHC head to G13 bottom end. I'm tempted to order one just to be right on the internet, and it's $500. (god knows what shipping is). I've been staring at too many pictures of heads / blocks to be sure.
fake edit: $740 shipped direct to my door. tempting...

Overall, it's a great little engine, from the original stock samurai of 68hp, to supposedly 86hp in the Chinese version, I intend to polish this turd to it's limit.

fins fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 16, 2023

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Just heard back from the electricity company. Ooof.. looking at circa US$9k for 3 phase install. Those alibaba generators are looking mighty tempting right now. Having a beer with my accountant later, hopefully they can make it make it make sense.

e: In other news I found a few of the G13 DOHC heads available, was about to pull the trigger on one, but may have to rethink that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fins posted:

Just heard back from the electricity company. Ooof.. looking at circa US$9k for 3 phase install. Those alibaba generators are looking mighty tempting right now. Having a beer with my accountant later, hopefully they can make it make it make sense.

e: In other news I found a few of the G13 DOHC heads available, was about to pull the trigger on one, but may have to rethink that.

Rotary Phase Converter is an option. And probably significantly cheaper.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

CommieGIR posted:

Rotary Phase Converter is an option. And probably significantly cheaper.

Unfortunately, not within for the the supply tolerances for the laser (or the robots). And the lathe would need a ~30hp phase converter and a step up 3ph transformer to work out, which after shipping and duties would be 70-80% of the quote from the electric co. No more sushi for a while!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

lasers...and robots? :psyduck:

Welp, I'm in

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
$10k is absolutely worth it if you're going to be living there indefinitely. im jealous!

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Bilirubin posted:

lasers...and robots? :psyduck:

Welp, I'm in

I'll probably make a yospos xpost about the robots specifically, but lemme lay out the scope of works at the moment, and a bit of background.

Daydrinking was prevalent during the pandemic and subsequent lock down, which led me to spend a little too much time on eBay. End result was a pair of Staubli RX90Ls, plus controllers and cables ex lab for a steal. Another eBay steal was a 1000W fibre laser for cents on the dollar. That then led to a cutting head and a handheld cutting/welding head. The rust cleaning head is tied up in customs bs right now, but should reach in the next few weeks.

The Staubli RX90's run off a CS7MB controller, running Adept V+. It's a VMEBus system based on a on 68040 (same chip in a Macintosh Performa I had growing up). Pretty sure I could get netBSD running on it! Spent a stupid amount of time reverse engineering the firmware image dumps that I could find online. Now know the ins and outs of it. There's a couple of ways I can see interfacing with it, but in this case, the plan is to run it through Rhino/Grasshopper, greatly abusing the internal (crippled) python to communicate with the outside world to offload the processing. There are several things on the market to do some parts of this, but for $5k+ a pop, I'm not interested. Rhino's excellent 3D stuff opens up a lot of pathways.

I'm building a rig to hold Samurai bodies from their mounting points. Making a simple probe the will attach to the robots, signalling when contact is made. Similarly using a diy structured light scanner to obtains ground truth/geometry from known good parts/panels. All this to get a kinda metrology report on the parts. If i end up eBaying a cheap CMM, plan may change a bit. I'm, almost done with the structured light code, will be testing it shortly. Likely I'll start with a rig for a smaller overall part, e.g. the front clip. All of them have damage, but the angles are pretty much 90 degrees.

I'm also a Shaper Origin early adopter. I followed the project from it's first paper, love that thing!. I chose a laser cutting head specifically that would fit in the space that the router sits now. Plan is to model up the head, print a bracket for it and run the laser as if it were the same router. Pre-emptively shielding the camera from 1080nm laser light. Alongside their new camera to svg gimmick, should be able to knock out small sheet metal work in under a minute.

In the case of complex curved surfaces (of which the Samurai has pretty much 0), the approach is Laser Assisted Single Point Incremental Forming.

Engine wise, gonna be another post. ITB's and electric superchargers, etc.

fins fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 22, 2023

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Wow. What in all of gently caress is going on in here. You're going to scan the cars and repro the parts you need, to fix...Suzuki Samurais?

This is some Tony Stark level poo poo.

Captain McAllister fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 23, 2023

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Typed up a whole long update, but Firefox decided to crash.

Short version, the core of my structured light thingy released the magic smoke, cost of replacing was near enough the same as the Einstar. SuperfastMatt convinced me. SuperfastMatt also has videos on his S600 build. One thing led to another, now I have a Kawasaki ZG1400 engine heading to my freight forwarder. Who doesn' daily a 30ish year old junker wiith a 150hp sportbike engine in it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
what in the world is this thread

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Raluek posted:

Seriously. I'm in, though.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Raluek posted:

It's not called Automotive Sanity!

Just collected the laser cleaning head. The wait for 3 phase is killing me! All the toys and no way to run them. My current laptop is a potato, incapable of running the Einstar, ordered one, but the seller sent me a RTX 4070 instead. Bizarre! Freight forwarder caught it in time, waiting on the seller to respond.

Figured out my strategy for getting drive from the 1400 pointing the right way. The front bevel gear has a shaft that I'll attach a yoke to.fab a short drive shaft to the reversing box, hook up to the stock transfer case and done! That also means I'll have 6 forward and 6 reverse gears. What's gonna break first? My money is on the tcase.

Weather has been either horrendously hot or tropical storm. No middle ground, so all I've done so far is remove the doors/hood from Betsy, destroying sever supposed impact bits, before busting out the grinder. Wheel dolly's coming soon, so I can actually move Betsy inside the shop and make some room between the other 2.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Small update. Various parts are here, some are on a long ocean voyage. One of the windshields came in cracked, but the freight forwarder is covering it. Slowly starting to take shape. Still waiting on 3 phase.Still 6 weeks out.
I do have the 3d scanner up and running. It's so drat useful. Getting the workflow sorted out, but so far so good. The software from the manufacturer is ok, but I'm starting to get better results from dumping the pointclouds straight into Rhino. Trying a repro part for a friend first, as I was dreading modelling it. All curves, hardly a straight/flat edge on the whole part. Bit out of my comfort zone, but the Shrinkwrap/Quad Remesh stuff in Rhino 8 WIP is awesome. Compared to try and loft mesh section sketches in Fusion 360, it's a breeze. Still quite a lot to learn to get things perfect, but certainly making progress. Use surface modelling for modelling surfaces :pseudo:

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
1st scan is up

https://fins-gd.github.io/samurai/

the obj was over 200MB, got it down to 70 ish, and further compressed with draco to ~ 15mb. May be a little slow to load!

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
The end of my excruciating wait for 3 phase is almost over! Government electrical inspection is sometime next week, followed by one more payment to the electric company for a deposit. Will be lasering things by Christmas.

My freight forwarder invited me to their Christmas party, I think I paid at least one employee's salary from what I brought in this year!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I skimmed the thread again real quick but if you said I must have missed it, what 3D scanner are you using?

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I skimmed the thread again real quick but if you said I must have missed it, what 3D scanner are you using?

Einstar from Einscan, but I'm a sucker for gimmicks, so jumped on the kickstarter for a revopoint miraco pro. It being self contained does open up some other possibilities, plus it's less crap to haul around.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Passed the 3 phase wiring inspection. :woop:

Got an appointment scheduled this week with the electric co for the final paperwork and security deposit. Should be lasering by Christmas :hellyeah:

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Last bit of blood money paid to the electric company. 7-10 working days (but probably less) and I can start ablating every surface in sight!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

fins posted:

Last bit of blood money paid to the electric company. 7-10 working days (but probably less) and I can start ablating every surface in sight!

Cool! Take videos. Also, don't burn your eyeballs out.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
3 phase installed! Hopefully I don't make a post next week asking for screen reader recommendations

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm pretty sure you'd be looking for skin graft recommendations (and maybe a lung transplant) if you hosed something up bad enough to need a screen reader. :ohdear:

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

randomidiot posted:

I'm pretty sure you'd be looking for skin graft recommendations (and maybe a lung transplant) if you hosed something up bad enough to need a screen reader. :ohdear:

quote:

A pop or click noise emanating from the eyeball may be the only indication that retinal damage has occurred, i.e. the retina was heated to over 100 °C (212 °F) resulting in localized explosive boiling accompanied by the immediate creation of a permanent blind spot.

Lasers are fun fun fun!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I don't have a medical education, but I believe you should avoid boiling your eyeballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
That's what the safety squints are for. When can we see some laser action?