Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Josh is a great reviewer and even when I disagree with their overall review there's usually a few specific insightful points that clarify something that I myself felt but couldn't articulate.

For this one it was:

quote:

the unpleasant, obvious implication that there can only be one female character on Hunt’s team and currently there are two. It stinks! Bad scene!

That's exactly what was sort of bothering me. Even though the script isn't treating the ladies badly, there's very much a "boy's club with the one cool girl allowed" vibe coming through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Watched this the other night and the more distance I get the more disappointed I am in it. Part of it is that it's clearly the victim of Covid issues and that can't really be helped. But also so many choices in the narrative and filmmaking seem driven by the fact that they know this is part one. Ultimately it felt like the car chase went on too long, as did the scene where the train has gone over the edge and Ethan and Grace are climbing their way back up (What's better than narrowly escaping the train car as it goes off the cliff? Narrowly escaping THREE train cars as they go off the cliff). The 'oh these guys are so secret that no one knows how to contact them' only works if you haven't seen any of the previous movies and serves as some of the dumbest stuff this series has done. Ethan has always seemed like a guy who puts the life of anyone around him above his own, but now we get an awkward origin story to help explain it. All they need is Gabriel in the next one to say that he was the author of all Ethan's pain.

Cruise is still a gift though. It's not just the stunts, but he has a great sense of comic timing too. Uttery insane that at some point they decided hey you know who could do this just as good: Jeremy Renner.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I wanted to love this movie but I think it was just okay. The airport scene was great, the car chase was great, but otherwise nothing really stuck with me. I think their practice of "just start filming and figure out the story as we go" finally caught up with them. Usually there's a handful of cool moments aside from the action but here I can't think of any.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
No article yet but Film Editor at THR has tweeted that Dead Recknoning Part Two is delayed to May 2025 and is also no longer named Dead Reckoning Part Two. https://twitter.com/AaronCouch/status/1716575715674788138

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Mission l: Impossible - [something] Part Two

yeah weird

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Dead Reckoning 2: Deader Reckoning

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

duz posted:

Dead Reckoning 2: Deader Reckoning

Dead Reckoning: The Second One

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
The Sequel Formerly Known as Dead Reckoning

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Mission Impossible X: the Everything Mission

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Dead Reckoning 2: Off the Record

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
It would be amazing if they had Ethan wake up, it was a dream and now the REAL adventure starts.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

It would be amazing if they had Ethan wake up, it was a dream and now the REAL adventure starts.

They’d just spin it as “Ethan Hunt is so incredible, he also has the gift of prophecy”.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Ethan Takes Manhattan

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Watched Dead Reckoning again last night hoping I’d have a better time with it than I did at the cinema, but I actually liked it a lot less. Some thoughts:

I respect Cruise et al for wanting to keep things going and crew getting paid during covid, but the impact on production is incredibly obvious and the whole movie is constantly coming apart at the seams.

The most egregious moment is after the Rome chase, Benji pulls up to Hunt in a van, and Ilsa is just *there* without any explanation. Why? Because they’d already filmed the Venice stuff with her and they needed to bring her into the story! Also, I’ve heard McQuarrie talk about how audiences start losing interest if there’s more than a few mask gags in the whole movie, but there’s like, five or six too many instances of the key being pickpocketed, so you eventually stop caring to keep track of who has it. Which is a shame, because “who holds the key” is the only matter of importance in the plot.

Watching it on a TV also made the cgi so much more obvious, especially on the Big Stunts of the motorbike jump and the train engine falling off the bridge. I *know* they did those for real, but there’s so much digital painting around the edges that they feel no more authentic than something from a Marvel movie. I’m sure they filmed a lot of stuff with the actors physically on top of the train, but it all managed to feel less real than the ending of 1, with its PS2-level graphics in the tunnel and pointing a giant wind machine at the actors.

Mission Impossible is maybe my favourite film franchise but I can’t imagine sticking this one again. Even 2 is interesting in its shortcomings and has a fun tone and aesthetic.

I hope they take the extra year to make Part 2, or whatever it ends up being called, hang together a bit more coherently.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Haven't seen it since it came out but aside from the two big stunts (which we saw months before in the making-of footage which yes, looked a whole lot more real) I still think a lot about someone who pointed out the AI car Simon Pegg is using, and the route he plots up the mountain, make no sense - the car should have also been taken over by the Entity who is leading Hunt up a garden path, only for him to improvise his way out of to perform the motorcycle jump.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I'm still annoyed how they handled Ilsa's death. The previous movies make it clear that protecting the lives of his team members is Hunt's number 1 priority. Fallout puts a big old point on this by having him choose Ving Rhames over saving a trio of nuclear cores. So it makes sense that the AI would want to use this as leverage to get under Hunt's skin and throw him off his game. But what doesn't make any drat sense is specifically saying it must be one of the two women in his life that has to die for this plot point. Can't be one of the two dudes. Gotta be a women. For reasons. Only one lady allowed on the team at a time I guess. That just irks me because of how unnecessary it is.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Betting this is not a new thought but man, if anyone had thought to bring a gun to that bridge things would have turned out a lot differently

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

fishing with the fam posted:

I'm still annoyed how they handled Ilsa's death. The previous movies make it clear that protecting the lives of his team members is Hunt's number 1 priority. Fallout puts a big old point on this by having him choose Ving Rhames over saving a trio of nuclear cores. So it makes sense that the AI would want to use this as leverage to get under Hunt's skin and throw him off his game. But what doesn't make any drat sense is specifically saying it must be one of the two women in his life that has to die for this plot point. Can't be one of the two dudes. Gotta be a women. For reasons. Only one lady allowed on the team at a time I guess. That just irks me because of how unnecessary it is.

I am utterly convinced this will be reversed with a shocking mask gag. It has to be. It would be so perfectly cheese.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

There’s no way they’re not going to do a mask pull with the biggest, brassiest, most triumphant “BWAAAH-BWAH-BWAH” theme tune motif of all time.

Another moment that stuck out on watching that I didn’t remember from the first time: just as Hunt is about to do the motorcycle jump, he steels himself and we see quick flashes, as if seeing his thought process, of his entirely unexplained dead girlfriend from the Crime Alley flashback, Ilsa dead on the bridge, and then Grace giving him a cheeky smile.

It’s really obnoxious because our understanding from six movies of Hunt is that he doesn’t need motivation to do some Mad poo poo, he’ll just jump first and think later, and also… he’s haunted by the dead women in his life?? It’s a really, really odd moment, but then there’s loads of really odd character moments throughout the movie, especially the whole thing about “The Choice” which really doesn’t fit with any of the characters we’ve seen in earlier movies.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
It's just an awful, poo poo, garbage film and likely Tom Cruises worst - the Mummy and Far and Away were both better than this. it's a buzarre and embarrassing mess best forgotten.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

FWIW, I work at (one of the many) VFX studios that created the CGI for this film and a chunk of the VFX was rushed for two reasons:

1. Too many VFX heavy shots for its budget (the Marvel comparison a few posts above was correct).

2. During 2022, multiple projects struggled to get completed to a satisfactory standard because of a skills shortage in the industry. We were in a short lived streaming boom which meant all big and medium sized VFX studios were overbooked and there weren’t enough seniors to go around. Shots usually reserved for leads and seniors were being worked on by juniors.

No studio has to worry about being overbooked anymore now though, hah

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Rollie Fingers posted:

FWIW, I work at (one of the many) VFX studios that created the CGI for this film and a chunk of the VFX was rushed for two reasons:

1. Too many VFX heavy shots for its budget (the Marvel comparison a few posts above was correct).
Wait, what - wasn't the combined budget for the two movies something insane like $800 million? How many VFX shots did it have?

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Small Strange Bird posted:

Wait, what - wasn't the combined budget for the two movies something insane like $800 million? How many VFX shots did it have?

The film had a budget of close to $300m. Like all modern blockbusters it has hundreds of VFX shots, however the VFX budget was still on the lower side for a film of this scale for a few reasons. It has an ensemble cast, Tom Cruise prefers shooting on location and he also devotes much more of the budget to live stunts than Marvel or Warner Bros. I also witnessed the VFX sacrifices in person - "we can't work on this shot any more, we'll outsource it".

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Matinee posted:

Watching it on a TV also made the cgi so much more obvious, especially on the Big Stunts of the motorbike jump and the train engine falling off the bridge. I *know* they did those for real, but there’s so much digital painting around the edges that they feel no more authentic than something from a Marvel movie. I’m sure they filmed a lot of stuff with the actors physically on top of the train, but it all managed to feel less real than the ending of 1, with its PS2-level graphics in the tunnel and pointing a giant wind machine at the actors.

I rewatched Raiders of the Lost Ark the other day and the truck chase really throws the absurd amount of digital clean up that happens with modern stunt based action filmmaking into sharp relief. There's a continuity goof every other shot. You can see the seat that they bolted onto the front of the truck for the gag where indy goes over the hood and the trench in the road for when Indy goes under the vehicle. And it's still great and part of that greatness is that they're very clearly working with what they could get in camera in the time they had set aside to film the sequence.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 2, 2023

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I didn't hate this but it definitely felt like a step down and clearly the worst of the series since at those days of MI:2 and MI:3 when they were still trying to find their footing. I'm sure some people would argue that MI:2 is worse but I dunno, it's debatable.

The VFX issue is a serious thing, because Mission Impossible has maintained a higher level of quality than for example the Fast & Furious series up to this point. You add that issue to Cruise's much more obvious aging and the dumb character/story decisions and it's hard to be optimistic about the series going forward. It's one of the best of all time but all good things come to an end.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the push on letterboxd and in the usual vapid critical communities to convince everyone this movie was better than fallout seems like an actual conspiracy now lmao

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Spicy take this was worse than MI2 for me. Just dull all around and the action had too much cgi added around it which made everything feel fake. Especially the jump.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

I posted this in the action movies thread, but look at this 60 year old man just casually land on his back after jumping about 20 or more vertical feet (top of the train on a bridge jumping to a vehicle on a lower road) from a 60+(?) mph train. Ignoring the fact that he would jelly himself into the side of that truck bed, he also would've had a miniscule margin of error to make that jump which he does without even looking.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Are we really nitpicking at the realism of MI stunts? Like there are a ton of things wrong about the latest movie but lol if the franchise was ever much good at it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Vegetable posted:

Are we really nitpicking at the realism of MI stunts? Like there are a ton of things wrong about the latest movie but lol if the franchise was ever much good at it.
Yes. Absurdity is absurdity and its funny and shame on you for trying to make me feel bad for posting.

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Yeah impeccable timing is really a staple of the series

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Vegetable posted:

that clip looks really crappy and phony though. The whole deal with having Cruise do his own epic stunts and everything is to make these movies look really impressive and thrilling

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Martman posted:

that clip looks really crappy and phony though. The whole deal with having Cruise do his own epic stunts and everything is to make these movies look really impressive and thrilling

Yea it's a different issue, which we've talked about before, where overall Dead Reckoning just didn't look right. It looks flat, no texture to anything, and it looks green-screened to hell and back even in scenes when it actually wasn't. And the effectiveness of the stunts is connected to all of that because the whole thing is a big illusion and you need all of the trappings and supporting elements to be on point to be able to sell that illusion and make the audience buy into it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cage posted:

I posted this in the action movies thread, but look at this 60 year old man just casually land on his back after jumping about 20 or more vertical feet (top of the train on a bridge jumping to a vehicle on a lower road) from a 60+(?) mph train. Ignoring the fact that he would jelly himself into the side of that truck bed, he also would've had a miniscule margin of error to make that jump which he does without even looking.

You are also ignoring the fact there is no chance of error because The Entity told him precisely when to jump.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

MassRafTer posted:

You are also ignoring the fact there is no chance of error because The Entity told him precisely when to jump.

Was about to say "check out the poster exercising autonomy without The Entity in their ear," then that caused me to imagine movie theaters with headphones for people who want every action and plot beat explained in detail.

Imagine an audio track just for nimrods. The Entity demands it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Space Fish posted:

Imagine an audio track just for nimrods. The Entity demands it.

But why did Vanessa Kirby's character make such a huge departure from her usual personality? And sometimes the camera cut over to another room were she was just sleeping? Am I supposed to assume that she went to the discussion and went back for a quick nap and returned the next scene to continue the negotiation? Not gonna lie, that is a bit of a power move.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Feb 25, 2024

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
The problem with the fall off the train isn't the perfect timing. It's the fact that he is falling off a speeding train in the first shot then clearly falling a soft six inches straight down onto a mattress in the last. In a series known for its high effort stunts it looks cheap and lazy as hell.

fishing with the fam fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 19, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The entire movie is poorly edited for some reason and I don’t think Covid should be blamed unless the editor caught Covid and their brain turned to mush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
My friend describes the MI series as Ethan Hunt is a guy who always rolls a natural 20 at everything he does. That train drop is basically the same thing.