Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
This game is ironically very shallow. It's a great core experience and I would recommend it to anyone, But you are absolutely going to end up getting tired of the gameplay loop at some point. For me at least it was well after the end of the story mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

News!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsRegnjDfV8

(that's today!)

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

Funnily enough I've just finished Dredge and been playing Dave (not with the DLC though). Imo Dredge does what I want from this kind of chill exploration game much better than Dave, despite it's horror and Lovecraftian elements versus Dave's cutesy and relaxing aesthetic. I started out loving Dave but it just can't get out of it's own way; waaaay too many interruptions from the core gameplay loop with increasingly unnecessary additional mechanics, all of which are accompanied by hand-holdy tutorials that rip away control from the player, and the quality of said mechanics continue to fall the further in I get. I just got hit with a second half-baked stealth minigame in the same play session and I think I'm just about done with it now. It's a real shame because the core diving gameplay is great but it's just getting diluted with bullshit.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Just grabbed the DLC, gonna give it a spin later. Any opinions on it so far? Loved the base game, got a lil repeptitive in the end and some of the mechanics were a lil annoying to the point where I would just not use some weapons because of them, but I recall there was a fairly large patch towards the end of the year where a lot of community concerns with mechanics (or the fish farm overall) were adressed, which was after I was already done with the game.

Probably gonna start a fresh save, even though I'm assuming the dredge content should tie into my existing save

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

A friend got me this as a Christmas gift and I just finished it. Enjoyed it very much, very well done Indy game, probably the best indie game of 2023 for me although I didn't play a lot of them. Super chill and relaxing although I'm done with it after story mode and reaching diamond rank, about 35 hours for me. I think I will pick up Dredge and give that a shot based on the same friends recommendation.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I feel... Kinda bad for saying I didn't like it that much, because I can see a lot of work and talent went into it... But it did feel... Kinda repetitive and the management section really did not appeal to me, either.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
For the fish farm, is it based on exponential growth? I want to try emptying tje garm save but for a few sharks - but they seem to take forever to reproduce (if at all).

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Guigui posted:

For the fish farm, is it based on exponential growth? I want to try emptying tje garm save but for a few sharks - but they seem to take forever to reproduce (if at all).

It definitely seems at least partially randomized.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Guigui posted:

I experimented this with a small red fish from the depths that's hard to get a lot of. I stopped harvesting them with the rest of the section, and they definitely started spawning faster as I collected more and more of them, so there is some exponential growth. But some fish definitely spawn much slower than others, notably larger fish/sharks.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
As far as I can tell it is based on size. Anything tuna sized and higher seems to be set for a slow birth rate. One of many reasons why it's best to have your main meals based on small fish.

It used to be making produce heavy meals and seaweed heavy meals was a bad idea but they've done a lot to juice your returns for a lot of the shallow water seaweed in particular. These days I'd say it's better to have a recipe you rely on that features a seaweed more than a dish than a large fish.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I'm now on day 14 and the Dredge DLC is nowhere to be seen. I looked up what triggers it, but there have been no foggy days so far, and none coming up in the next three days.

Is there some additional prerequisite or event/chapter before foggy days trigger?

First replay has been fun so far, especially with all I've learned from the first playthrough. Knowing what staple recipes to go for, what to prioritize with employees and dispatch ingredients (I swear to God, I didn't realize you could do that for half my first playthrough) completely took out the bit of grindiness I was anticipating.

But give me the drat Dredge DLC already :colbert:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You also need the chicken farm, apparently. That's pretty far in.

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.
Dredge DLC adds a dive every ~3 weeks for aberrant fish. You get three different zones to dive in with new fish. Zones are reskins of night dives. Aberrant fish do not count for the Pokémon collection. There’s a new gun that’s really only good for Aberrant fishing.

I had steel nets and max drones by the time I got there and could almost empty the map of fish. Fish are used for special sushi (no mixing with produce or condiments) that only the special guests will eat. It seemed to be a 50/50 split of normal to special guests. After the end of the night someone buys the remaining fish, which netted me an extra ~13K gold on top of fish sales (aberrant fish sell for 500-1100 per meat to customers).

It was a nice early money boost but nothing special. Good for free DLC

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Man, some of the recipes really are traps

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Feel like I'm bouncing off of this so hard. Village of the fetch quests is really ruining what good there is in this.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Zesty posted:

Feel like I'm bouncing off of this so hard. Village of the fetch quests is really ruining what good there is in this.

Yeah, that was my attitude to it, too. It's competently made, pretty and all but... The game just... It isn't engaging to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I put together a quick guide with all the promotional codes, including the new Dave Plushie.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3195167667