Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
i'm gettin too old for this poo poo
big fuckin deal
ok boomer
what the hell is going on here?
i hosed ur grandmother
View Results

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

it absolutely matters. because you're rolling more dice for 8d6, it results in a wider spread of values since the min is lower and the total number of different outcomes is more. with 6d8, which has a peakier curve, you're more likely to get a result somewhere around the median. think about it this way: if you could choose to roll 24d2, or 2d24, which would you prefer to roll? both maximums are the same but the distribution is very different

Amen

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
i had a nap

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

"Daddy needs a new pair of shoes!"

*throws die

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

redshirt posted:

"Daddy needs a new pair of shoes!"

9 1/2, wide plz

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it absolutely matters. because you're rolling more dice for 8d6, it results in a wider spread of values since the min is lower and the total number of different outcomes is more. with 6d8, which has a peakier curve, you're more likely to get a result somewhere around the median. think about it this way: if you could choose to roll 24d2, or 2d24, which would you prefer to roll? both maximums are the same but the distribution is very different

the minimum roll for 8d6 (8) is larger than the minimum for 6d8 (6), op.

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

forgot what thread i was in

Yo I was going to say something too tho.

Anyway, happy birthday d8 I hope you get a game in somewhere

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the minimum roll for 8d6 (8) is larger than the minimum for 6d8 (6), op.

yep you're right. i was probably "on one" as they say, last even. anyway, point stands, distribution is different and youd probably prefer one over the other if you want to deal reliable damage, even thoug hthe maximums are the same

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

btw dee eight can GO TO HELL and also i voted this thread a 2!!!!!!!!!

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

bring back thac0

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

poo poo like thac0 is so 80s game design it rules. actually it's bad but it's fun to think about how game designers arrived at it. like a lot of 80s game design, a lot of thought process was put into the end result being high fidelity (as they saw it), so you get these twisted permutations of mathematical functions that don't make any sense to execute, in search of a specific distribution of results along a power or leveling curve. in the end, very little effort is made to have the game mechanics be intuitive or staightforward, so long as the desired result was attained. the philosophy of results over process is also seen in the ludicrous amount of chart look ups required, and cross referencing. doing all this little poo poo was so tedious but the "precision" was seen to deliver a highly specific result. in the end we now know that you can instead use a simple mechanism and a mixture of dice size, volume and combinations to affect a desired outcome, all while still being easy to understand and easy to link conceptually with the uncertainty of the task trying to be simulated by the randomness of dice

another good example of this that i love to hate on becasue the rules are basically unchanged since the original edition in the 80s is battletech. hope you fcuking love table look ups and doing hundreds of single digit additions on dice rolsl every game because thats what it asks of you. especially if you're playing a game where both sides have a bunch of LRMs and ACs and then also targeting computers and artemis and poo poo. the whole system is so algorithmic it begs to be automated. and in fact it has been, to the point where you can use a tablet as an assistant to do all the table look ups and dice rolling for you, because otherwise it's a nightmare. i can only imagine the kind of insanity d&d would have got up to with poo poo lik thac0 if the same brain geniuses were allowed to continue down that line of thinking rather than streamlining into the d20 system of today

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

D&D dice actually give you lower odds at the craps table. Learned that one the hard way. :hmmyes:

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

btw dee eight can GO TO HELL and also i voted this thread a 2!!!!!!!!!

ur mom's a 10 (after 8 shots of tequila)

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

poo poo like thac0 is so 80s game design it rules. actually it's bad but it's fun to think about how game designers arrived at it. like a lot of 80s game design, a lot of thought process was put into the end result being high fidelity (as they saw it), so you get these twisted permutations of mathematical functions that don't make any sense to execute, in search of a specific distribution of results along a power or leveling curve. in the end, very little effort is made to have the game mechanics be intuitive or staightforward, so long as the desired result was attained. the philosophy of results over process is also seen in the ludicrous amount of chart look ups required, and cross referencing. doing all this little poo poo was so tedious but the "precision" was seen to deliver a highly specific result. in the end we now know that you can instead use a simple mechanism and a mixture of dice size, volume and combinations to affect a desired outcome, all while still being easy to understand and easy to link conceptually with the uncertainty of the task trying to be simulated by the randomness of dice

another good example of this that i love to hate on becasue the rules are basically unchanged since the original edition in the 80s is battletech. hope you fcuking love table look ups and doing hundreds of single digit additions on dice rolsl every game because thats what it asks of you. especially if you're playing a game where both sides have a bunch of LRMs and ACs and then also targeting computers and artemis and poo poo. the whole system is so algorithmic it begs to be automated. and in fact it has been, to the point where you can use a tablet as an assistant to do all the table look ups and dice rolling for you, because otherwise it's a nightmare. i can only imagine the kind of insanity d&d would have got up to with poo poo lik thac0 if the same brain geniuses were allowed to continue down that line of thinking rather than streamlining into the d20 system of today

so how does GURPS fit into all this

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

sex excellence posted:

so how does GURPS fit into all this

It fits in very well. Thanks for asking!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
happy birthday, old man

another one of these, lol time's real I guess

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

yeah?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Tarquinn posted:

It fits in very well. Thanks for asking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

DOMINO MUTHAFUCKA!