Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

dogstile posted:

I started using other guns because i was running out of sniper ammo :v:

You must have played before they patched Bobby Ray's back into the game, because after I captured the first two mines it was trivial to keep buying all the ammo. TBH it was pretty silly of them to attempt to balance the game that way.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Megazver posted:

You must have played before they patched Bobby Ray's back into the game, because after I captured the first two mines it was trivial to keep buying all the ammo. TBH it was pretty silly of them to attempt to balance the game that way.

I did, also before they added all the nazi's to shoot.

I'll replay at some point.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I never had any issue with ammo until very very suddenly I did. I've got 4 mines at this point, so I guess I'm maybe like halfway through? I've just been swapping out my guns for better guns when they come along. Now I'm in the underground bunker system, and my machine gunner runs out of ammo. Not really a big deal; I got five other mercs. But then I realize, we're all using NATO standard rounds! gently caress, we're hosed, we don't have any extra guns because we need all that space for lenses and rods!

Hey, a question about the red rabies questline: Evil doctor lady told me she had ten days for me to get back with the cure and I'm almost certain I made it back within ten days, but when I got there she was like Raauughghh you're only just too late! Was I actually too late, or are you meant to not get there in time? I can't determine on which day she gave me the quest.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

credburn posted:

Hey, a question about the red rabies questline: Evil doctor lady told me she had ten days for me to get back with the cure and I'm almost certain I made it back within ten days, but when I got there she was like Raauughghh you're only just too late! Was I actually too late, or are you meant to not get there in time? I can't determine on which day she gave me the quest.

She produces the cure but dies if you're in time. Now you need to also murder the colonel and save the president for the best ending.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I rarely used stealth snipers because other guns were more fun.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

Grand Fromage posted:

I rarely used stealth snipers because other guns were more fun.

my main team was 2 fireteams of a sniper, machine gun and a grenadier/assault rifler. was cool to spec ops into position and then "go loud" with the snipers, drawing out the enemy into killzones who would then be machine gunned or grenaded to death. sometimes my pre-battle maneuvering would take longer than the actual battle

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I'm okay with finished devs on this, cause now maybe we can get some modders in to expand upon it. There was one great weapon mod for 1.4 that had crossbows which were loving awesome but its not updated for 1.5

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I'm seeing a graphics glitch where random character models have black blotches on them.

Doing the verify integrity of game files in steam did nothing.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Like what is even going on here?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Maybe try disabling HDR in windows or in game if you have an HDR monitor? Looks like it could be related to shadows somehow too, maybe turn those off and see if anything changes?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Megazver posted:

She produces the cure but dies if you're in time. Now you need to also murder the colonel and save the president for the best ending.

I thought you needed to recruit the Colonel to get enough evidence for the best ending

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've played alot of Xcom and didn't want to keep replaying it so I'm giving this a try. The interface is a bit weird, possibly on purpose. I find it difficult to see icons indicating how much cover there is, and I don't understand how training and other downtime tasks work. I thought that I would send a couple of people that way and continue with the remainder but had no option to move to a new area I'd unlocked.

I'm a filthy casual so I play on a lower difficulty, but I'm always curious about worthwhile mods to enhance the experience. Xcom 2 had loads of them that made up for the UI deficiencies, or added comedy value like voicepacks from Payday.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
There is an option in the menu to always show cover I think

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

During combat I sometimes see an icon, sort of, behind the character. Compared to the crystal clear one in Xcom 2 it's not as useful.

Was funny to hear an NPC shout something like "I WILL SHOW MY VALUE TO THE MAJOR!" and step out from behind cover only to get one shotted in the head from my doc on overwatch with a 9mm.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

If you assign people to a task and then order the squad to move it should ask if you want to split the squad. That should leave behind the people training or whatever and move the rest.

There are a fair number of mods in the steam workshop, but nothing too big/involved yet. I play with:

Evermine (mines never run out)
Zota6's weapon sound pack
GC-Vendors/vendor overhaul mod
Audaki's UI Enhancement
ShowChanceToHit

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

I thought you needed to recruit the Colonel to get enough evidence for the best ending

There is a guide on Steam that explains everything:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3171882774

The Colonel is the guy who gassed the Refugee camp, his piece of evidence is on the table in his office. You need to kill him for the best Rabies ending because otherwise he'll keep loving with the country/vaccine rollout.

The Major/Spike will give you evidence if you pass the influence check, then you can try to recruit him or arrest him or kill him.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

sean10mm posted:

ShowChanceToHit

Am I a monster that this is necessary for me to enjoy this game at all? I absolutely need this. It's mandatory.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

credburn posted:

Am I a monster that this is necessary for me to enjoy this game at all? I absolutely need this. It's mandatory.

Either that or Descriptive Chance to Hit are necessary IMO.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I never found it necessary but I also don't think not seeing chance to hit is so integral to the gameplay experience that installing the mod ruins it. It really just boils down to personal preference and how much you care about being "efficient" with your AP. I think the main thing being able to see CTH would do to alter the gameplay is that it might allow you to squeeze in an extra shot on a turn because you would know when you've spent enough points on aiming and avoid overspending, but it still strikes me as not actually making that big a difference either way.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I like Descriptive but considering how many hours I have in this game I just went for the raw percentages outright in this hopefully conclusive run because gently caress it. That said, you would be surprised at how generous Descriptive still is, I think it lists shots at 60% to hit as Likely...which is semantically true but in a gamer XCOM veteran brained sense might as well be 30%

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Dick Trauma posted:

I've played alot of Xcom and didn't want to keep replaying it so I'm giving this a try. The interface is a bit weird, possibly on purpose. I find it difficult to see icons indicating how much cover there is, and I don't understand how training and other downtime tasks work. I thought that I would send a couple of people that way and continue with the remainder but had no option to move to a new area I'd unlocked.

I'm a filthy casual so I play on a lower difficulty, but I'm always curious about worthwhile mods to enhance the experience. Xcom 2 had loads of them that made up for the UI deficiencies, or added comedy value like voicepacks from Payday.

Downtime basically works like this: you choose the people who will perform the activity, depending on the activity it will take X amount of time (you can see it on the timeline) to complete, modified by a number of factors depending on activity (for example repairing is quicker when it's just a bunch of stuff and someone with high Mechanics does it). You can move the rest of the team around by splitting it up since the person doing the activity won't be able to move with them until it's done/you cancel it

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm struggling a little with how short the weapon ranges are and the long range you can be detected from. Detection doesn't seem reliant on sight lines or sound so I guess they just have a big bubble around them and if you enter it you can be detected. I've found a rifle and an AK but have almost no ammo for them so I gave the rifle to my best marksman along with the ammo, but setting up any kind of an ambush before combat begins seems useless because of the range issues, and the AI's strange mix of campers and kamikazes.

EDIT: VVVV :shepface:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 13, 2024

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Once you learn you can hide in plain sight it makes the game more "trivialized" than seeing chances to hit anyway, in my opinion.

If any of your mercs are visible to an enemy on the start of their turn just use like 1AP or free move to run around a corner or lay down to break sight and click the hide button for 2AP and they will immediately lose track of the character and run blindly at the last known position on their next turn to re-discover them rather than shooting.

Once you're hidden you can just crouch away and get them with a sneak attack next turn and repeat.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm struggling a little with how short the weapon ranges are and the long range you can be detected from. Detection doesn't seem reliant on sight lines or sound so I guess they just have a big bubble around them and if you enter it you can be detected. I've found a rifle and an AK but have almost no ammo for them so I gave the rifle to my best marksman along with the ammo, but setting up any kind of an ambush before combat begins seems useless because of the range issues, and the AI's strange mix of campers and kamikazes.

EDIT: VVVV :shepface:

Are you...not using the sneak button?

Stealth is OP and high marksmanship mercs with sniper rifles can blind fire halfway across the map.

Range is 100% gun + marksmanship dependent, so early game engagement ranges can be painfully short.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Yeah, once everyone gets the good sniper rifles the squad just crouch-walks around noscope noaim headshotting motherfuckers halfway across the map.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm sneaking, but poorly I suppose. That said I have a new plan to crack this map and it involves moving in shorter hops so I have enough AP to set overlapping overwatches.

EDIT: Things went much better! Yes I had a few fumbles due to the weird enemy AI sending someone dashing off across the map but I had a few good ambushes too.

EDIT 2: Alot of maps have weird sightline issues. There'll be what appear to be obvious higher terrain for sniping but when you get up there a rock or two will completely obscure all the targets below. Why even carve out these spaces amidst otherwise impassable terrain? I must be missing something.

EDIT 3: I didn't realize that you can mod weapons! :haw:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Weapon mods are what really turn guns into murder machines. You might’ve read about the value of thermal sights and the like from contemporary battlefields…this game does a good job showcasing why.