Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bad King

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
I'll start by sharing one of mine.

One of my favorite cities in the whole world happens to be Tallinn, in Estonia. It's a wonderful, smaller city in one of the friendliest of the Baltic countries. I would count Tallinn as one of the best cities in the world, given the beauty of its historical old town, the (typically) agreeable weather during a summer stay, the amenities supplied by the modern downtown, and its affordability. It's a very walkable city, wherein you can get to almost anyplace by simply strolling with your own two feet. They do have an excellent public transportation system, if the need arises. There are festivals of local dancing during the summer as well, if that's interesting to you. You can even take day trips to some of the islands just off the coast -- I visited Naissaar for its military history and walking trails.

Tallinn has access to some great international cuisine, but if you're going to take my advice and visit I would suggest you enjoy some local tastes; Estonia's potato salads are both filling, delicious and affordable fare, and if you want a tasty take on a barley dish you can order Mulgekapsad, a barley+cabbage+pork dish I really enjoyed with beer.

Tallinn was last visited in 2009. Many things have likely changed, but I encourage you to visit, and if you want, post your favorite city below!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'd hope this thread had caught on better because I do love the topic, but traveling around different cities in the world is a luxury for most people.

I have heard tons of good stories about Estonia over the years and intend to visit there one day. While I don't travel much these days, I always prefer to stick to smaller towns/villages than actual cities. Always too much noise and too many people in a city, and I'm a shy wallflower. I'll keep Tallinn in mind, though, thank you.

Last time I was on a big European city was Madrid, and I remember loving their subway system, so much better than ours (country next door). In other ways, it didn't felt much different than Lisbon -- if anything, more sterile, less "authentic" for lack of a better word. Most people I asked for help (because I get lost easily) were pretty nice, which was a positive.

15 years ago I visited Drubovnik in Croatia, which is a beautiful tourist destination. Lots of history and pretty architecture there, and I even went on a boat trip (the city has a harbor) to a nearby island and the scenery was gorgeous on the whole way. You could also visit the local hills for rock climbing but you had to follow a map of safe spots because there's still suspected to be tons of old unexploded bombs/mines from WW2 in the area. That's also one of the things I learned on that trip: that poor city had been half destroyed during the war and large parts of it had to be rebuilt.

Other cities I've visited over the years outside my country didn't leave as much of a good impression as those two mentioned above.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 15, 2023

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
As someone who has only been as far out of the States as Hawaii I can't comment.

My goal is to travel someday. I'd love to see Africa and south Asia

https://i.imgur.com/9jTkSUL.mp4
Thanks to vanisher for the paradise sig! :)

Finger Prince

I love a good megopolis that you can feel small and insignificant in. I think that would make Tokyo my favourite city to visit. There's just so much there to explore. New York is also cool like that, but I've only been there a couple of times, and not for long. For smaller cities, I have fond memories of Geneva, though I haven't been in many years, and the old town of Montréal is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXDtQcuA5Bo

Khad

third time's the HRAAAAAAAAAAAAALF
Mars :)

the one with life at 8:22pm on a saturday

Khanstant
tokyo seems pretty interesting texturally on the walking tour videos i watch on youtube to zone out

frump truck

hello... again!

my favorite city is Kyoto, Japan because it was the first place i existed in entirely of my own volition. also, it's an ideal size city to me, easy to bike around, lots of beautiful things to see, and has a centrally located river.

my least favorite city is New York City and I've lived here for 14 years so lol

frump truck fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic

Lisbon was a great food experience. Loved stepping into a hole in the wall to grab bacalau or some ginjinha. Also enjoyed getting fresh fruit juice or espresso in the morning before doing sightseeing. Walking shoes with good traction are a must.

FutonForensic fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 16, 2023